Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2022, 02:42 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Auto-Changeover Regulator Preference

This has been bugging me since starting to RV about 3 years ago.

What is everyone's preference of how to set their auto-changeover regulator and why?

The instructions inevitably say to position the "switch" in the middle and turn on both tanks. But all that means is that at some random time, in the middle of the night, I'm going to COMPLETELY run out of Propane with no backup.

I on the other hand, SELECT which tank I'm using. I only turn on one tank at a time. Yes... I might run out in the middle of the night, but I just switch the lever and turn on the other tank. Now I KNOW I have one empty tank and I make a note to fill it... and depending on how long that takes, I top-off the other one... Starting the next trip with TWO FULL TANKS again.

What do you do? and Why?
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2022, 04:04 PM   #2

I do the same as you do.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:15 PM   #3

I set mine to one side and periodically check the sensor indicator letting me know one tank is empty and it switched to the backup.
I fill the empty, flip the switch and continue on.
wolfgolden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:21 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgolden View Post
I set mine to one side and periodically check the sensor indicator letting me know one tank is empty and it switched to the backup.
I fill the empty, flip the switch and continue on.
I was going to make this part of the question, but as you do it, maybe you can help me. What is that indicator do. I've owned three so far. I have never seen anything in it. It's a glass window... shows me NOTHING.. what am I missing?

FWIW, I got the propane tails that have gauges on them because I never figured out how to tell which tank had gas other than spilling water on it.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:29 PM   #5

Sorry, maybe mine is different...
My indicator shows green, indicating propane flow from that direction.
When the bottle is empty, the indicator turns red and pulls propane from the other direction.
When this happens, I flip the propane switch so it points to the full bottle, remove and refill the empty bottle.
wolfgolden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:18 PM   #6

I am happy with the manual selector that came with our TT, I just added a couple of these to the tanks so I always know roughly how full each tank is. When one is getting low and I know it probably won't last the night in cold weather, I switch over. Then I know I have a few days to get it refilled.

Jayc71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayc71 View Post
I am happy with the manual selector that came with our TT, I just added a couple of these to the tanks so I always know roughly how full each tank is. When one is getting low and I know it probably won't last the night in cold weather, I switch over. Then I know I have a few days to get it refilled.

These are very "rough' on accuracy. They go by pressure. Have one on my BBQ, on a cold freezing day says my tank is low, on a hot day it will read full.

Spendier, but I found these to be accurate:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C5RQI74
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:31 AM   #8

I do as you do.
Draw propane from one tank only until it runs out. Walk to the front of the trailer, switch the valve over and run on the other while I fill up the newly empty tank.

I've only had it run out in the middle of the night once, and if anybody was watching, they'd have seen me with a coat on over my boxer shorts with my feet slipped into my boots swapping the valve over. (I was laughing at the image. I pictured Daffy Duck with his guns drawn; "Seems a little breezy in here! Oh, pardon me while I adjust my accoutrements!")

We had a duvet and were quite warm on the below freezing morning, but I wanted a hot shower and some warmth when I got out of bed.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:54 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
I do as you do....
..... and if anybody was watching, they'd have seen me with a coat on over my boxer shorts with my feet slipped into my boots swapping the valve over. (I was laughing at the image. I pictured Daffy Duck with his guns drawn; "Seems a little breezy in here! Oh, pardon me while I adjust my accoutrements!")
Ours always seems to quit between midnight and maybe 4 am. We apparently have the same stylist. I go for the Crocks and jacket look with the headlamp on my forehead. I figure if someone else is out at that time they are doing the same as me, and if not, they should at least be entertained.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:36 AM   #10

Turn on both tanks, set the selector to one tank. When that tank runs out, the regulator automatically switches to the other tank--that's why they call it an auto changeover regulator. At that point, the indicator on the empty tank side shows red, so you'll know it's time to get it refilled.
No need to ever run out of propane.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:46 AM   #11

1st cylinder valved in is Primary
Turn Lever towards that cylinder....indicator shows GREEN

Valve other cylinder in.....secondary/standby

When 1st goes empty (less then 10#) the Reg AUTOMATICALLY swaps t Secondary Cylinder----Indicator turns RED
Turn Indicator towards secondary cylinder...Indicator turns GREEN

Valve out 1st cylinder..refill it
Hook it back up...valve it in...it is now Secondary/standby cylinder

REPEAT when Indicator turns RED

**Placing Indicator Lever in Mid-Position allows both cylinders to be in service so they both go empty at same time.
NOT the way to use Auto Changeover Reg
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:14 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
I've never seen a color in the window.... but then again, on this RV I can't even really see the window as the top of the trailer jack is in the way. But no matter.. I apparently am doing like everyone else... one tank at a time.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:14 PM   #13

Isn't there a 'lid' on top of cover over the cylinders that allows you to see the reg ?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:25 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
When I open the lid, I'm looking down from top. Easy access to top of tanks, but that's abut it.

Tags
regulator