Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #1

Auto leveling on a travel trailer?

I have seen BAL auto leveling on the Winnebago Mini Plus trailers and now Lippert Auto Leveling on a Rockwood Signature. I watched YouTube videos on the BAL system and it looked a bit bogus as the test trailer was already on level concrete.

For those that have either BAL or Lippert how well does it work? Is that an option worth getting?

I will probably still carry 2 2" x 10" x 5' long boards to level side to side if the auto leveling does not work.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #2

I have the BAL system on my winnebago and it works great so far. It is not for way off level situations but works great in most places
Studeblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #3

That is what I figured, it is not for extreme out of level situations.

It seems it would be good to eliminate some movement in the trailer as other people walk around or help keep the vibration down some if the washer is on spin cycle.

The Rockwood has at least two models that come with the washer/dryer prep that I think I would use.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have you looked at the anniversary edition Outdoors RVs? They come with Lippert Ground Control Auto leveling.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #5

No, I have not looked at Outdoors RV and not sure I will. I am in Florida and the nearest Outdoor RV dealer is in the middle of Texas.

I am not sure but I would fly to Oregon so I would have the best selection.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #6

Don't know tuffr2, but we take delivery of our new Flagstaff tomorrow and it has 4.0 Ground Control so I will be able to render an opinion in a few months.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #7

You get your new Flagstaff home yet? I bet the family is excited. Let me know how you like the auto level feature. Also let me know if you find and soft spots in the trailer. I will have time next week Wednesday or Thursday to look at the Flagstaff again.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #8

We got it home and had a great experience. Bought it at Camping World, Concord, NC from Trace Alford. Made a great deal and are very happy with the transaction there. I am impressed with the build quality versus our Prime Time Tracer. Fit and finish is good. Floors are solid. Things are put together straight. My walk through went well and they put a guy with me that actually worked on them in their service department so he could answer my questions well. Walk through took 3 hours. We flipped every switch, ran all the fixtures and systems. Found three very minor things that needed repair, and those were fixed on the spot in fact Jake who was my delivery guy fixed one while we watched. Very happy with the unit so far and we are out with it this coming weekend so I'll learn how the leveling system really works then and will post those results. Did find one a thing when we were in it at home this evening that we did not check, the sofa hideabed needed to be moved about 2" so that it would open all the way - and I easily moved it and reattached it in about 10 minutes. No big deal there.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #9

Congrats on the new trailer. We take delivery of a Grand Design 315RKTS in just about 3 weeks. It has electric stabilizing hacks, but not auto leveling. If your Bal works anything like the Lippert system in my Class A, it will not do good on extreme unlevel. You will need to use blocking to compensate, then use the jacks.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #10

Congrats on getting it home. That is a big step and then checking it out with the excited family.

I bought a trailer several years ago from Sonny's RV in Concord NC.

Not to ruin your camping trip but I hope it is cold at night so you can also report on how well it is insulated.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
Congrats on the new trailer. We take delivery of a Grand Design 315RKTS in just about 3 weeks. It has electric stabilizing hacks, but not auto leveling. If your Bal works anything like the Lippert system in my Class A, it will not do good on extreme unlevel. You will need to use blocking to compensate, then use the jacks.
Congrats on the new trailer but I think you're 1 letter off. It's a 315RLTS, no "K".
We have a new 2020 315. The build quality of this trailer is superior to the 2017 we had.
Chiefblueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #12

You are correct, thanks for the correction. My wife is so excited. After nearly 14 years of class A ownership were are back into a trailer, albeit a pretty big trailer. Congrats on yours as well.

I have begun having a few dealership's fighting to sell me a truck. Looking at F350 6.7's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
Congrats on the new trailer but I think you're 1 letter off. It's a 315RLTS, no "K".
We have a new 2020 315. The build quality of this trailer is superior to the 2017 we had.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #13

The 6.7l Ford is a tough engine. Wondered about how it would do in my 250 pulling the new camper since it's 3000 pounds heavier that the Tracer we replaced. No real difference other than I noticed a little more boost. The guys at the dealership set up the hitch real well for me and I upgraded the wd bars to 1200lb. Looking forward to our first trip to TN and western NC.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #14

You going to Lake Fontana? That is a very scenic lake. How about Tail of the Dragon?

Tags
leveling, trailer, travel, travel trailer