Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2020, 07:05 AM   #1

Awning - Aww no

Hi guys, my family and I are camping in my 2004 Keystone Outback. Where we camp is a remote beach in Northwestern Ontario on a big Lake. It gets windy.

My previous motorhome a 1975 model, had a Viking awning. That unit was heavy duty and no issues. My new awning has been taking a beating and basically the horizontal support bars are trashed.

One thing about this camper is that the top of the door is close to the awning so you need to extend the awning really high or the door hits the fabric. That puts more stress.

A lot of campers have lost their awnings up there and lots just dont dare use them.

I was thinking of pegging the arms vertical in the sand and using guy lines. I had it tied down that way to my truck this week after it broke. The tie downs would create "hippy traps" though.

And what anchor would be really secure in a sand beach that I can take with me at the end of the season since we can't leave anything behind.

Of course it is tempting to replace the broken part but it is light duty and seems pointless. I don't want the awning down if it is windy I want it up in all weather.

Thoughts?
Dodge75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2020, 07:09 AM   #2

Tie a line around a piece of wood or a rock. Bury it in the sand.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:18 AM   #3

Awning - Aww no

Don’t expect it to last too long if the wind is that bad...it’ll tear at the seam where it attaches along your roof line...

Once you effectively anchor the side arms down...that’ll be your next weak point...

Awnings simply are not designed to take a beating by wind
St8-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:33 AM   #4

I used the screw type that are really to stake out a dog. Home Depot had nice orange ones.

Agree that it will start to rip where it attaches to the trailer. That actually happened to me when a storm blew in on a nice sunny day. We were on a pontoon boat when we saw black clouds. In 10 minutes the winds were 50 - 60 mph. We did not have time to loosen and take in the manual awning. The screws in the ground held as designed but after the storm I saw a 3" area that started to pull away from the trailer. Not real bad but you could see it if you knew where to look.

The worse storms I have been in have been on lakes it seems.

My advice is not to use the awning unless it is calm. That is easier said than done with those manual awning.

With a smart phone app I think you can see storms coming so you have a heads up. I use 'Radar Express' which shows rain.

Good luck

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200619-091801_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	290160
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:37 AM   #5

Instead of the flimsy RV awning, you could try some shade cloth.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=shade+clot..._ss_ts-o-p_9_5

Burlap or gunny cloth works too, and is biodegradable if you lose it.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:38 AM   #6

Not a fan of the "wimpy" electric awnings...would choose a manual with beefier arms over an electrical awning if given a choice. More evidence that the folks who design and build them dont use them.
psmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmiller View Post
Not a fan of the "wimpy" electric awnings...would choose a manual with beefier arms over an electrical awning if given a choice. More evidence that the folks who design and build them dont use them.
My awning is manual but the supports are made of light gauge aluminum tubing.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #8

Burying logs as "dead man anchors" seems to be the winning idea so far. Doesn't cost me anything either. I do realize the seam where it meets the camper could be next but mine is fairing really well and is anchored to the aluminum frame of the camper. Besides what's the worse that could happen since the alternative is no awning or replacement.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:34 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
The corkscrew you see above, those work. They are "dog anchors". No kidding, if you search Amazon for "corkscrew dog anchor" they will come up.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:40 AM   #10

Thanks, I am skeptical though, the sand is really soft. Soft enough that I sometimes need to make a track out of plywood strips to make the camper roll. I think I have some similar anchors already though, they came with my tarp shed.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
I've also used 5 gal buckets full of water, spare tires, etc. That said, I'm a redneck, so we have our own engineering.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:47 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
What about these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014RQZZC0..._n.m7EbBE2F65V
Old 06-19-2020, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I've also used 5 gal buckets full of water, spare tires, etc. That said, I'm a redneck, so we have our own engineering.
Haha we are pretty redneck too, but boon docking in the middle of nowhere seems to inspire the highest levels of redneckery for us. Spare tires or 5 gal buckets full of sand might make make sense for me too. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st-tt2018 View Post
Plastic so I wouldn't chance it but looks like it works like the metal ones. Probably going to go with burying something since it will be more bomb proof.

Tags
awning