Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #1

Awning cleaning

Recently purchased. 2013 Cougar. Nice trailer, clean inside. But who ever had it before never bothered to clean the awning. It either stained or mildew. Any suggestion on how to get it cleaned. I don't see any bad spots or tears, just neglect.
Thanks in Advance
Doc Evins
DocEvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use Awsome. Get it at The Dollar Store
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #3

Tilex mold/mildew remover from wal mart. Can get it in a 1 gallon jug with sprayer built in. Just open the awning and spray it down then roll it up for 15 minutes or so. Unroll it and rinse it off. You can hit stubborn spots with a soft brush before rolling it up but most will come off without the need of brushing it. Wear old clothes and don't get it in you eyes.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is also a mold and mildew remover I have heard about that is available at Home Depot and Lowes (and possibly other places too) that does an excellent job of killing the fungus stuff, but I can't remember what its name is at the moment.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Bill View Post

Does awesome bother the grass?
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
There is also a mold and mildew remover I have heard about that is available at Home Depot and Lowes (and possibly other places too) that does an excellent job of killing the fungus stuff, but I can't remember what its name is at the moment.
Mold Armor I believe is what you are thinking of. Somebody on here recommended it to me. It's awesome stuff, says me.
skiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:53 AM   #7

Mold Armor is GREAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiles View Post
Mold Armor I believe is what you are thinking of. Somebody on here recommended it to me. It's awesome stuff, says me.
I agree on Mold Armor, it's fantastic. About the only product in a bottle that actually does exactly what it says it will! Spray it on, let it sit, rinse it away and it's clean!
Andy Waddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #8

Bleach and water, mix at 50/50. gentle brushing, rinse thoroughly.
Losthikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Bill View Post
I went to the dollar store. There are 10,000 awesome products. Which one do I get to clean the RV walls and such??
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocEvins View Post
Recently purchased. 2013 Cougar. Nice trailer, clean inside. But who ever had it before never bothered to clean the awning. It either stained or mildew. Any suggestion on how to get it cleaned. I don't see any bad spots or tears, just neglect.
Thanks in Advance
Doc Evins
We had the same problem with our 2013 new to us rv. I tried cleaning it and did not work. Thanks for posting this and I will try some of the suggested products.
LisaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #11

Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice. I purchased the Mold Armor from Hone Depot. Applied it to awning, retracted the awning for approx hour. Reopened and used a power washer (1600psi) and now have a very clean awning. 95% of all the mildew and mold gone. Will repeat the process in a month or so. That should complete the process. I agree Mold Armor works.
Thanks Again All.
DocEvins
DocEvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #12

Best thing to use is Outdoor Bleach. You can get it at Home depot. It not only gets rid of it but has something in it that helps it from coming back so fast. Works great on the entire camper!
NY Camper 86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning