Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2019, 12:52 PM   #1

Awning strip lights

Now that I’m getting my electrical draw issues in order, I’d like to throw on some LED strip lights under the gutter. My awning runs about 14 feet and I’d bring the power through the awning motor hole and tap into 12v power running to a light so I’d need a fairly thin wire to get through the hole.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I don’t want blue ones. As an airline shift worker, blue light is my enemy. [emoji23] I’ve started to look on amazon but I’d like your input.
RustyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #2

I installed these on our Bay Star and tapped into the patio light for power.
https://www.recpro.com/led-rv-awning...nting-channel/
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
I installed these on our Bay Star and tapped into the patio light for power.
https://www.recpro.com/led-rv-awning...nting-channel/
I've looked at them at Recpro and am still thinking of getting a set of them but I'm kind of looking for the multi colored ones with the remote. Tough to find that are 12 volt though.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyDave View Post
Now that I’m getting my electrical draw issues in order, I’d like to throw on some LED strip lights under the gutter. My awning runs about 14 feet and I’d bring the power through the awning motor hole and tap into 12v power running to a light so I’d need a fairly thin wire to get through the hole.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I don’t want blue ones. As an airline shift worker, blue light is my enemy. [emoji23] I’ve started to look on amazon but I’d like your input.
Rusty,

The minimum size of the wire is determined my the current draw of the lights. The standard size for lighting in many TT's is 14 gage with a 15 amp fuse.

Tapping into an existing circuit means the wire gage you use must match the fuse on that circuit. Find the fuse. A 15 amp fuse means 14 gage wire. A 20 amp fuse would mean 12 gage wire.

You can use smaller wire sized to match the current draw of the light. You must put a fuse in the smaller wire to match its ampacity.

Sorry I don't have a wiring chart for 12 volts available. You can find one using a google search. May be someone else knows the small size ampacities.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would suggest putting them on the outer end of the awning rather than the side that attaches to the trailer. I hardly ever use mine because they attract insects and in no time the whole side of the trailer is covered in bugs just waiting for the door to open so they can come in. They may not be visible with the awning rolled up but at least you won't have "visitors".
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #6

Would this unit be possible?

SUPERNIGHT 16.4Ft 5050 Waterproof 300leds Light Strip,RGB Color Changing Kit Adhesive Tape with 44 Key Remote Control and 12V DC 5A Power Supply https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00E96H1JO/..._n5yBDb59ZNJ3M

I’d cut the power prior to the AC converter and tap directly into a 12v light wire.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #7

Another option is to get a 24’ strip and run it along the chassis and bring the power up through to the panel via a hole for the negative bus ground. I could probably give it a dedicated circuit.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:10 AM   #8

New or existing circuit.

You would not need the 120 volt AC brick. It runs on 12 volts.

Connect it to any lighting circuit that you changed to LED's. With lower current in that lighting circuit the 5 amps for the light string will be fine. Use 12 gage wire (assuming a 20 amp fuse).

Or run 16 gage wire to the 12 volt fuse panel and connect to a new 10 amp fuse.

You probably want a mechanical switch in there some where because the light string controller will always draw a little current. It will slowly drain your battery during storage.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, light, lights