Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #1

Backup camera

Does anyone have any experience with wireless backup camera. I'll be having a 2019 Cougar travel trailer ( 26rbs) and pulling it with 2019 Ram 1500.
Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #2

The best I've seen are from:
RV Cams: Backup Camera Systems (All)
Old 07-30-2018, 05:18 PM   #3

I bought a wired back up camera for a stacker trailers few years back . The installation was easy it had a harness from the trailer to the motorhome (plug unplug) and a harness from the back of the motor home to the dash. I used a ram mount and a display easy to hookup or remove.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine Sonic by Venture-Rv was pre-wired for Furrion camera's. Bought the observation/backup kit. Worth every penny!
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbreaker View Post
Mine Sonic by Venture-Rv was pre-wired for Furrion camera's. Bought the observation/backup kit. Worth every penny!
My new Jayco was the same and has the Furrion kit. It works well for me and I have a long rig (extended cab truck + 8' bed + 39' trailer).
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris View Post
Does anyone have any experience with wireless backup camera. I'll be having a 2019 Cougar travel trailer ( 26rbs) and pulling it with 2019 Ram 1500.
I use the Garmin RV770 GPS with their wireless camera mounted in the Furrion mount on the back of the trailer. This way I only have one LCD display on my dash and no wires to run. Also the RV 770 will work with 1-4 of the cameras.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:21 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My Salem Cruise Light came pre-wired for the Furion Camera system. Mine powers up the camera when ever the clearance lights are on. I bought the camera/monitor set and installation on the trailer took about 10 minutes.

My '17 Ram 1500 has a little tray built into the dash above tbye radio stack. I mounted the little monitor in that location. The wireless camera quickly boots up when the clearance lights are on. I've used it on two trips now and works well. I did discover a little glitch yesterday though.

I noticed that the camera kept briefly losing its WiFi signal yesterday while a large tour bus was following me. The glitch would go away whenever I put a little distance between me and the bus. Once the bus passed me, the problem went away until an identical tour bus approached. When the second bus passed me at about 75 mph, I noticed that it had an advertisement which stated "Free Wifi Equipped." Once the buses passed me, my glitch stopped and hasn't returned. I can only surmise that WiFi interference from the busses caused the problem.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:58 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris View Post
We mounted a Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless Observation System on our 26rbpr Buller Premier trailer and pulling it with our 2017 1500 Silverado. The system has worked flawlessly. I rubber band the monitor to my rearview mirror since I naturally look there to look behind me.
wny_clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:40 AM   #9

I use a wireless IP camera from Foscam. It requires that I have a Router. I connect the router to the camera, using wifi, then connect my cell phone, tablet, or iphone to the router, with wifi.
Using the Foscam app I can then use the backup camera, in color, on any of my devices using the wifi connection.
And, no, I don't work for Foscam, it's just what I picked to try. LOL

I have a 36ft motor home and don't have any connection problems over that distance.
JohnLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #10

My backup cam is very reliable, but inconsistent. Moves in and out of view but still sends signals. Also gives audible alerts, but sometimes can't be heard over the motor or because its behind the camper and also out of view. The whistle is always heard, and means stop!

But I love her, and the camper always gets placed perfectly!
Old 09-14-2018, 12:11 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I added the Furrion rear obs/bu camera to my ORV 25RDS - set it just below the center clearance light and wired it to the light.

The rear obs camera has a faster processer that allows near real time updates. I like it very much on the road for a rear view mirror.

Still getting used to it for backing the trailer.

BTW the camera has three tilt settings - down - allows you to see the bumper; up - shows the most down the road; mid - splits the difference.

I have been running in the mid position - I might have to try changing it between down and up depending on what I am doing. The problem is reaching the camera to make the change.

Tags
camera