Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #1

Bad 12V TV Outlet

Getting the trailer ready for the big trip this year so I bought a new television that is 12V native with built-in DVD player. Installed it today and discovered that the 12V plug behind it is dead. No power at all. The 12V plug in the bedroom has 12.2V and works perfectly. In checking the fuses at the WFCO Model WF-8955PEC converter I noticed that one of the 12V fuse slots has the red LED next to it on continuously. That slot is not labeled as any particular device just as 15 amp Option 2. Does the red LED indicate a short, or any other malfunction? I did put a meter across the pins and it showed 12V, however, when I install a fuse it blows immediately. I am assuming a short somewhere in that circuit. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #2

The led glowing is indeed showing a blown fuse. You need to track down the short or overload. Did you try it with the TV unplugged? Does it blow when it is plugged in? Some of those lighter type connections don't match well and cause a short. Other than that, it's just trace the wire back to the fuse, or try to replace the wire.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #3

Lynnmor,
Thanks for the info. My inclination is to try and chase the wire back to the fuse and see if I can find the problem since there is obviously a short and I don't want that LED on all of the time. I may be able to use the old wire to fish in the new wire. If that doesn't prove feasible I have the ability to run a new wire from the bedroom outlet to the TV plug and that is my second option. I believe that I will have to take the converter loose from the wall to see where the TV plug wire terminates, does that sound correct? Since everything else in the 12V system works I will disconnect the TV wire from the back of the converter to get the LED off, at the least.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:26 AM   #4

Sounds like you are on the right track. I would disconnect the suspect wire and test it for a short to ground. Double check the outlet to see if the short is right there.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote