Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #1

Bathroom door not staying shut

We have had a problem this weekend while camping which is driving us nuts. The Camper is as leveled as we can get it and with 3 kids running around it never stays perfectly leveled so I know it has to do with it not being 100 percent leveled but..

The door keeps popping open and we are having to use a towel end which is handing on the bathroom door to keep it closed. I don't want to drill into the door to ass some kind of latch system but what do you do when this happens?
ehstrojette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehstrojette View Post
We have had a problem this weekend while camping which is driving us nuts. The Camper is as leveled as we can get it and with 3 kids running around it never stays perfectly leveled so I know it has to do with it not being 100 percent leveled but..

The door keeps popping open and we are having to use a towel end which is handing on the bathroom door to keep it closed. I don't want to drill into the door to ass some kind of latch system but what do you do when this happens?
I would tilt my coach slightly in the direction necessary to keep the door from swinging open.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #3

Agree. We level our coach using a level on the kitchen counter - but the final test is whether the bathroom door and the fridge doors stay where they are put.

Or - when assigning "time out" to the ankle biters, keep one of them on doorstop duty.
Clark Savage Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #4

I would actually fix the door latch and catch as opposed to just leaning one way to mask the issue.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I would actually fix the door latch and catch as opposed to just leaning one way to mask the issue.
I did not detect any sort of problem with the latch and catch in the OP's post, though on second reading it can certainly be inferred. In that case, I agree; fix the catch.

But still, if doors aren't staying where I leave them, some leveling adjustment is required.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #6

Striker plate is off a tad. Take two screws out and move down or up as required. make two new holes for screws. Just had to do. Plate was not recessed so no problem.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Talking

It is not the striker plate or the latch. The door is not hung properly.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Also, if the door frame is not vertically correct the door will swing open. In an RV this is very likely.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick60 View Post
It is not the striker plate or the latch. The door is not hung properly.
I've had plenty where I just adjuster the catch plate and it worked.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #10

We have had this problem. It was a leveling problem for us. We leveled the coach to a perfect level ( where we put the bubble leveler) but that doesn't mean it's level by the bathroom door. As a previous poster mentioned we test it by ensuring the bathroom door when opened stays put. When we do that, the latch catches.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Our coach had the same problem when new ...door would swing open when driving. Dealer removed striker plate and added washers around the screws behind the plate. It still works flawlessly 10 years and 80k miles later.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #12

I will try the washer trick the next time we are out. with kids it seems like whenever we think we are level it goes unlevel after thy are jumping around and such
ehstrojette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door