Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2021, 06:55 PM   #1

Battery condition

I only use my camper as a seasonal (purchased that way). I just winterized it this week and pulled the battery and brought it home so i could keep it charged all winter. What i found out is that the battery is not fully charging on any of my smart chargers. Its also a GM battery with the green eye and what its indicating is the battery needs charged even after being on a charger for a lengthy amount of time. So the big question is do I need a new battery as i'm 100% hooked up to power at the campground? I'm guessing the battery needs to be part of the electrical system to run the 12v side of things. Now my charger in my trailer will be running too much to keep trying to charge this battery that won't fully charge. I'm thinking i need a good battery to keep the charger in my trailer from running non stop. I don't want to harm the inverter or charger so i will replace the battery for next season. Am I wasting money replacing this battery or does this just need to be there to complete the system (as in a battery of any condition?? I'm new to campers and the systems within them so bear with me. (Camper will never be used off its seasonal site...it more or less set up like a cottage)
Z06 FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2021, 07:46 PM   #2

Personally I wouldn't worry about it being a part of the system, since your plugged in all the time and don't have to depend on the battery, go buy an inexpensive battery from Walmart, if it doesn't last long enough they'll give you another one. A battery is too cheap to worry about.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:34 PM   #3

For better advice, please list RV year, make, and model. Shasta is not enough.
Also for advice about specific appliances, include make and model.
Battery: GM "green eye" is a built in hygrometer marine engine start battery.
https://www.acdelco.com/parts/batter...-month-battery
Can I use the "Green Eye" hydrometer to determine the batteries State-of-Charge?
Yes, the Hydrometer (EYE, Green Eye) gives the State-of-Charge (SOC) on one cell and if the eye is ‘Green’ this means that the battery State-of-Charge should be greater than 65%. If the eye is ‘black’ the battery requires recharging. IF THE EYE IS CLEAR, THE ACID LEVEL IS LOW AND THE BATTERY MUST BE REPLACED IMMEDIATELY DO NOT RECHARGE!
Battery charger in the Shasta ... Make and model.
Stand alone charger used at home ... Make and model

What i found out is that the battery is not fully charging on any of my smart chargers.

Color "green", "black", or "clear? Clear means the battery is no longer serviceable. Discard it.

The resting terminal voltage will tell you at what State of Charge it is at. Measure the terminal voltage after it has been disconnected for 3 hours (static voltage). You can get a digital voltmeter at your local hardware store for about $15.
12.7 100% fully charged
12.1 50% SoC
11.6 20% SoC

So the big question is do I need a new battery as i'm 100% hooked up to power at the campground? I'm guessing the battery needs to be part of the electrical system to run the 12v side of things.

Some RV battery chargers require a battery be connected. Most modern chargers are converter/chargers and don't require a battery be connected. Charger operator's manual will tell all. Make and model will allow internet look up for operator's manual.

Now my charger in my trailer will be running too much to keep trying to charge this battery that won't fully charge. I'm thinking i need a good battery to keep the charger in my trailer from running non stop. I don't want to harm the inverter or charger so i will replace the battery for next season.

Until we have battery specifications and RV charger make and model, this can not be determined for sure. Most likely the battery will not harm the charger. Most charger's are protected by circuit breakers or fuses.

If the battery gets hot while charging, that could indicate it is defective, or the charge is being pushed beyond limits.

Battery terminal voltage while charging.
13.2, 13.6, or 14.4 Voltage starts at the resting voltage and slowly rises to the charger's pre-programmed level. Sometimes the voltage goes up to 14.4 and then drops back to 13.6.
14.4 is too high for sealed lead acid batteries.
15.0 is too high for flooded cell lead acid batteries. It should not be used for long periods of time.

Defective lead acid batteries can develop internal short circuits. This can cause low voltage and high charging current without ever getting up to 100%.

Am I wasting money replacing this battery or does this just need to be there to complete the system (as in a battery of any condition?? I'm new to campers and the systems within them so bear with me. (Camper will never be used off its seasonal site...it more or less set up like a cottage)

I often run my travel trailer on shore power without the battery bank connected. My WFCO 8730 charger is designed to work that way. All my 12 volt appliances work fine without the battery.

Measure the terminal voltage while resting.
Measure the terminal voltage while charging.
Check the battery for high temperature while charging.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #4

Remember your 12volt battery powers your emergency breakaway trailer brakes when you're towing.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #5

Humm - if seasonal and never towing and will be plugged into the campground power next spring I am thinking that battery will work like that for a long time. If it is not a sealed battery maybe add a little distilled water and keep it on a batter tender this winter.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Humm - if seasonal and never towing and will be plugged into the campground power next spring I am thinking that battery will work like that for a long time. If it is not a sealed battery maybe add a little distilled water and keep it on a batter tender this winter.
It is a sealed battery.

If the TT is never towed, it does not need an emergency brake battery.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery