Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #1

Battery disconnect switch, good idea, yes or no?

Been having a issue with my batteries on my TT as of late. They seem to be loosing charge when not in use. I do keep a small solar charger on the when it is parked. Basically after a road trip when we get home and park the TT, I have fully charged batteries, after a day or so they are down to 2/3 full. This happens even with the solar charger on or not. I now the charger works as I have checked it with my meter, and it is producing the amount of power that it states it does.
I m thinking that a battery disconnect switch on the main line just after the batteries. That way when I park the TT after a trip it is just a mater of turning a switch to save the batteries. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Paddyboy2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:06 PM   #2

A disconnect installed at the batteries may help, but it won't solve the root cause. Can you borrow a clamp on DC ampemeter or a multimeter that has a DC amp metering option (you'll have to install the leads between the battery negative post and all negative wires going to the battery.

A small discharge is normal due to the co2, smoke and LPG alarms.

Another option for troubleshooting is removing the battery, charge it on a charger, let it sit for 3 days and read the voltage.

How does your battery get fully charged after a road trip?

Are you checking the power or voltage output of the charger?
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
A disconnect installed at the batteries may help, but it won't solve the root cause. Can you borrow a clamp on DC ampemeter or a multimeter that has a DC amp metering option (you'll have to install the leads between the battery negative post and all negative wires going to the battery.

A small discharge is normal due to the co2, smoke and LPG alarms.

Another option for troubleshooting is removing the battery, charge it on a charger, let it sit for 3 days and read the voltage.

How does your battery get fully charged after a road trip?

Are you checking the power or voltage output of the charger?

I understand there is a draw from the CO2 and LPG monitors among other things in the TT.
I have removed the batteries and have charged them and have let them sit for a few days with no significant loss of power.
The batteries after a trip are fully charged from my truck, after I park the trailer I have checked the voltage at the batteries and find them fully charged.
I do believe that I have something else that is having a draw on the batteries besides the things mentioned.
I have pulled the inline fuse from the main line and after a few days put it in and checked, just a minor loss. Hence the idea of the battery disconnect switch.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Many RVs have battery disconnects installed directly by the manufacture because of this problem.

However, if the drain seems excessive and overcomes the ability of your solar charge panel, I'd begin to investigate. There are several methods to track it down, pulling all fuses and install one at a time watching for the drain. Or use an amp meter and do the same.

On the other hand, a cutoff switch is the easy way. Put it between the trailer load and the battery leaving your solar connected.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 05-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #5

Just got one from Amazon - which has several to choose from. Works well and will solve your problem.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #6

A battery disconnect switch is a great idea, every camper should have one. I also think you may want to do a little more troubleshooting and see what's draining the batteries down so fast.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:58 PM   #7

selector switch

you could also install a battery selector switch with an OFF feature,

when you leave the turn them off.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #8

Battery Disconnect Switch good idea or not?

Well in my opinion ALL trailers should come with one already installed!

I definitely think they are a good idea. Just my Two Cents!
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:20 AM   #9

I use these two (different trailers)
http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-701-Ba...elector+switch

You can get these at walmart for a couple bucks: http://www.amazon.com/Negative-Quick...with+wing+nuts

Both are effective solutions.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:31 AM   #10

I had the same problem on my Rockwood pop up and my winnebago TT. It is the propane/CO alarm. It is wired directly. I just disconnected the neg. connection, eventually added a disconnect and the problem went away. But don't forget to turn it back on when you go traveling, leave it on when you plug in at the campgrounds too as you will want to charge.
tunafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:55 AM   #11

Thanks for the information. I am going to install this switch, which I picked up the other day for $6.00. The drain on my batteries has been caused from just the CO2 and the LPG monitors, along with the fact that my batteries are coming up 4 years old.
Going to install this in a exposure proof plastic sealed electrical box on the frame close to the batteries.
Will have to post a picture when it is installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keyed battery switch..jpg
Views:	1625
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	95628  

Tags
battery, battery disconnect