Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #1

Battery doesn't work unless connected to house or TV

I have a Fun Finder X-139, the smallest model. I have one battery I keep on a trickle cell charger all the time except when I'm camping

If the battery is hooked up to the trailer, and either:

RV hooked up to house or campsite current
Trailer electrical hooked to TV for towing, like for lights, turn signal, etc...

The RV interior lights work. But if the battery is connected without an external hookup, either house current or TV, then the interior lights do NOT work.

The battery is fine. It was checked at Batteries Plus. It is fully charged and holds a charge fine.

It is hooked up to the trailer fine. Positive to positive, etc...

This will be an issue if we ever go dry camping.

What kind of things should I look for to solve this problem?
paulitzlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
check for a blown fuse. If you follow the battery cable back to the trailer you will find a couple of 30amp fuse. Use a meter and check that you have 12v on both side. if you have an outside junction box then check for corrosion.
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Three things

Fuse
Switch
Circuit breaker

On older trailers a common converter was the Magnetek 6300 on the fuse board are two 30 amp fuses one of those may be blown

On more modern trailers they often use a parallex 7300 or 7300T. the 7300T is the minimum of what I consider "just acceptable" I would not approve of a 7300, IT too has the same fuse. Usually 1 or 2 30 amp, if there are 2 and they are BOTH blown, replace BOTH with battery disconnected and then re-connect.

Circuit breaker, This may be a button, often red, you need to press and release -OR- It may be a small metal can with two bolts that have wires under them.

Switch: May be marked USE/STORE or DIsconnect or AUX or BATTERY or . Even unmarked

Tags
battery