Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #1

Battery Help needed!

While putting my nut back on the positive terminal I think I cross threaded it :(

Now the darn thing keeps spinning and won't screw tight or come off.

Help me pls! This is a brand new battery! :(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464576251583.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	128578  
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From now on, finger tighten first

First, be sure the neg terminal is disconnected.

Use a flat blade screwdriver to push upwards on the nut while you unscrew it.

I am sure the terminal stud is shot. But just maybe there are a couple of good threads left......

You might be able to get a old style marine battery clamp(with a wing nut) and connect it to the bottom part of the terminal, then make connections to the new clamp.

It would be difficult to repair the stud.

The only thing I can think of is cut off the stud, then drill and tap the battery germinal to take a bolt.
Dan
Old 05-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #3

FWIW - Agree with the pry up and get to get it off and finger tighten.

If it was my battery I would then try to use a thread chaser or die to clean up the threads and replace the nut to see if it would tighten down. Only the last turn should need a wrench. If not I would reduce the stud diameter enough to go down one nut size before I just tossed the battery. I'd try to warranty replace it first.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #4

Thanks guys but there is no way to get this nut down or up. None. I even tried soldering the joints but the solder just won't stick! Bizarre! I am at a loss.

Any other ideas??
Old 05-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #5

ruh roh

yep, do what you can to get the nut off and chase the threads with a die. That nut looks like it could be stainless. might want to use some type of thread lube if it is to help with galling. good luck
Sparechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:27 PM   #6

you might be able to cut that ring terminal off the stud and put on a clamp type connector on below the nut and just leave it
Sparechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #7

Thanks again guys. That's exactly what I was doing.
Used my new angle grinder and carefully cut the nut off. I was careful to keep cooling the terminal in stages as I went along. Cut it off and as luck would have it.. I found a wing nut that fit exactly. Finger tighten.

Lesson learned.. finger tighten first ALWAYS!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464580157053.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	128580   Click image for larger version

Name:	1464580174951.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	128581  

Old 05-29-2016, 09:52 PM   #8

Be very careful the stud , is actually a bolt cast into the lead of the battery terminal , if you apply to much force the lead may crack out away from the bolt head , then you have a useless battery.
Best that I would try , would be to split the nut with a Dremmel cut off wheel , cut down opposite sides and the nut will fall off, then you can try repairing the threads with a die set.

EDIT, Already fixed, boy do I type slow.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Be very careful the stud , is actually a bolt cast into the lead of the battery terminal , if you apply to much force the lead may crack out away from the bolt head , then you have a useless battery.
Best that I would try , would be to split the nut with a Dremmel cut off wheel , cut down opposite sides and the nut will fall off, then you can try repairing the threads with a die set.

EDIT, Already fixed, boy do I type slow.
Oh man no worries. It's all good now but man was I panicking and was so MAD at my self. Just a small 10 min job turned into a 2 hour nightmare for me because I was just careless. I've learned my lesson.

I was actually finishing my TPMS install and installing the final booster for it and this happened. Anyway.. I will show you all the pics of the TPMS mod tomorrow. Gotta spend some time with the lovely wife!

Will be finally camping next weekend!! Yay!!
Old 05-30-2016, 03:58 AM   #10
YC1

Glad you got it fixed. Here is my suggestion to add to the future fixes. Use a dremel tool with a thin cut off blade. Slice down the sides of the nut carefully and it should come right off. Sparks are very dangerous around a battery so use a fan to blow any fumes safely away from the sparks.

You might be able to use a tap and die set to clean up the threads.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Glad you got it fixed. Here is my suggestion to add to the future fixes. Use a dremel tool with a thin cut off blade. Slice down the sides of the nut carefully and it should come right off. Sparks are very dangerous around a battery so use a fan to blow any fumes safely away from the sparks.

You might be able to use a tap and die set to clean up the threads.
Duly noted. I even have a Dremmel tool! Doh! I was just so frantic and trying to resolve it asap. Had the angle cutter right by me.

I did lay a blanket over the battery for the sparks and it was done totally in the open with the wind slightly blowing. I also stopped incrementally and cooled down the terminal with a damp rag each time.

I cut away all the damaged thread so I don't need to re tap the terminal thank God.

Tags
battery