Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #1

Battery Minder & Cables

I am about to replace my battery with two 6V Trojan T-105 golf cart batteries. Can I use my BatteryMinder to charge them when I remove them from the TT and store them at home? I'm assuming I would keep them wired the same way they are done on the trailer when I charge.

Also, would it be beneficial to replace the OEM battery cables going from the batteries to the connections on the outside of the trailer? Would it make any difference using thicker cables since I am not replacing the cables inside the trailer with the same gauge? I hope I explained that right.
dmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #2

Anyone? Just wanting to know if the BatteryMinder is a good enough charger for two golf cart batteries.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #3

A battery minder will maintain a charged set, of two 6 volts batteries, wired in series.

I don`t know if it would charge them, from a low condition. It should, but it will take some time.

Changing some of the wire, in a run, will not make much difference.

Good luck
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A battery minder will maintain a charged set, of two 6 volts batteries, wired in series.

I don`t know if it would charge them, from a low condition. It should, but it will take some time.

Changing some of the wire, in a run, will not make much difference.

Good luck
Thank you for the information. We average maybe one camping trip every two months so that should give me enough time to charge them after each trip.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me see if I understand.

You currently have either a 12 volt battery or a 12volt battery bank made up of 2 twelve volt batteries in parallel.

You wish to replace them with a 12volt battery made in two pieces so it is easier to handle.

You want to know if this new 12 volt battery can be maintained same as the old one.

YES, it can, it's still a 12volt battery Just instead of the two halves being side by side, they are now end to end.

But it is still a BIG!!!! 12 volt battery.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Let me see if I understand.

You currently have either a 12 volt battery or a 12volt battery bank made up of 2 twelve volt batteries in parallel.

You wish to replace them with a 12volt battery made in two pieces so it is easier to handle.

You want to know if this new 12 volt battery can be maintained same as the old one.

YES, it can, it's still a 12volt battery Just instead of the two halves being side by side, they are now end to end.

But it is still a BIG!!!! 12 volt battery.
I thought it was pretty simple to understand. Like I said in the original post I have one battery. I would like to go to two 6v golf batteries for more amp hours. I asked the question about the BatteryMinder because I have never used golf cart batteries and I did not know if I needed a different type of battery charger for them. I am well aware two 6V golf cart batteries are the same as a single 12V one.

Here's an idea....instead of making a smart aleck reply to a post why don't you just not say anything. I'm just trying to learn here, that's all.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #7

This is my first post on this site but If it is a 1.5 amp battery minder it will charge and maintain the batties just fine for winter storage . As for the cables unless you are going too pull more on the inside with a lot of stuff running at ounce I would see no need for the bigger cable just my opinion.
duknut51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #8

more info

put the batteries on plywood and not on the cement floor.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, Battery minders come in several sizes, but for maintance, yes, it will work, The very smallest one might not keep up with leakage but odds are good even it will.

Does this help?

IF you are BUYing a new battery minder, get one of the larger ones, one good rated or 2 or 4 batteries or amps. But a 1 amp model should do it.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #10

If your Battery Minder doesn't have a float maintenance feature then buy a Battery Tender Plus and you can charge and maintain your batteries. Don't worry about putting your batteries on the cement floor. This is an old wives tale that is not valid. The battery cases of new batteries will not allow a discharge through them no matter what you put them on. Check the Trojan web site for all kinds of info like this.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:47 PM   #11

Yes, the Battery Minder will maintain and condition two regular 6V lead acid batteries connected in series with no problems, I am not sure about AGM batts though. I would bring them up to full charge with a regular battery charger before you put them on the Battery Minder long term though. I much prefer the Battery Minder over the more popular Battery Tender.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #12

I should have stated the model of the BatteryMINDer I have in the original post. It is the Model 12248.

12V 8A Desulfating Battery Charger Maintainer Desulfator

I will not be using AGM batteries, I will have a couple of Trojan 105's.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #13

i was thinking on using a 50 Amp charger as i can get it new for 30 dollars and i believe it has a regulator to prevent overcharge.

thoughts?
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #14

Battery Maintenance | Trojan Battery Company

you might want to give this a look see.. they recommend if batteries are to be stored they should be recharge fully every 3-6 months.
there is nothing about a minder or trickle charge. Some of the little chargers can over time overcharge and boil the water out. best charge controllers are the intelligent 3 stage type often with a nice 200+ watt solar array.
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery