Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #1

Battery question

We are new travel trailer owners. I have a question regarding the battery. We took our first camping trip and upon returning I put the trailer in the back yard. 2 weeks later I went out and the battery was dead. Nothing was left on. Nothing I could see. Is this normal ? Does battery die after 2 weeks of no hook ups? Does something suck a trickle charge? Is there something not so obvious we didnt turn off? I plugged the camper back in and didnt see anything noticibly left on. Any help is appriciated.
Burton1179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #2

How was the charge at the end of the camping trip?
How old are the batteries?

Were you plugged in when camping?

Have you checked the water level in the batteries?

Are the battery posts clean?

There are a lot of things that can make batteries loose their charge. More information would be helpful.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the good times of camping in your travel trailer

I am assuming you did not fully charge your battery upon returning from your trip? If wired correctly, the charging system of your tow vehicle will charge your trailer but it is a pretty slow charge.

I suggest you purchase a "Battery Minder" or Battery Tender. They are a trickle charger that uses a pulse technology to keep the plates in your battery clean and prolong the life of your battery by 2X.

There typically are several "ghost" draws that will slowly drain your battery.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsadventures View Post
Welcome to the good times of camping in your travel trailer

I am assuming you did not fully charge your battery upon returning from your trip? If wired correctly, the charging system of your tow vehicle will charge your trailer but it is a pretty slow charge.

I suggest you purchase a "Battery Minder" or Battery Tender. They are a trickle charger that uses a pulse technology to keep the plates in your battery clean and prolong the life of your battery by 2X.

There typically are several "ghost" draws that will slowly drain your battery.
Yes, the battery/batteries will drain due to the carbon monoxide detector continuously drawing power. To prevent this from happening, you should install a battery cut-off switch.

This is one of the early lessons we learned when we got our first travel trailer.
NomadBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #5

CO and propane detectors wire into the 12V system will drain battys.
A batty disconnect and /or a trickle charger will help.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadBD View Post
Yes, the battery/batteries will drain due to the carbon monoxide detector continuously drawing power. To prevent this from happening, you should install a battery cut-off switch.

This is one of the early lessons we learned when we got our first travel trailer.

I had the same issue and early lesson with the trailer. Instead of installing the battery cutoff switch, ended up removing the fuse for the detector. The switch would be a better solution in case there are any other residual loads - possibly the stereo? You know that everything would be disconnected.
agilabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #7

Saw a lot of videos on line which convinced me to disconnect the battery (negative side) and purchase a volt meter and trickle charger. I keep my trailer in my driveway and have access to shore power. I have been monitoring the battery and it seems to discharge even while disconnected. (slowly). I'll hook up the trickle charger a few days a week to top off. As prep be for a trip I hook up the trailer at least two or three days prior. That has been working for me.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #8

Mine sits for 8 months during the winter. I remove both battery cables. It's in Western MA. It gets very cold in the Berkshires. When I come back in June I just hook up the cables and run out the slide. 3rd year now.

Stereo, CO detc will kill a battery.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:13 AM   #9

I used one of these since my storage lot does not have power available. Worked fine.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-wat...ger-68692.html
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:47 AM   #10

If wired correctly, the charging system of your tow vehicle will charge your trailer but it is a pretty slow charge.

Another factor that affects this is your vehicle will monitor it's batteries. When they vehicle batteries are fully charged the charging system can/will be turned off so this will result in the rv batteries being charged even slower or not at all while traveling. A disconnect and a good (not $12) remote smart charger is a good idea.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If not installed, install a battery disconnect switch for storage. Easier than pulling cables. Get a good one used for boats like Blue Sea Marine.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadBD View Post

Thanks for answers guys. I believe combo of carbon minoxide and clock on entertainment system was the culprit. Going to install a battery cut off.
Burton1179 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery