Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #1

Battery Weight - should I be concerned?

I’m installing multiple batteries on the stock battery rack of my trailer (see pic).

Is 150 lb. too much weight to put on these bars/welds?

enomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Be sure to resize your picture before trying to post 640 pixels works fine for me .
Although two 6 volts will weight 150 , you have to deduct the current battery weight to obtain the added weight. The next question is will the added weight be a problem for your hitch and tow vehicle rear axle weight limits.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip. Retrying with a smaller pic.

I'm good on hitch weight and overall trailer weight. My only concern is not knowing what kind of weight these angle bars are rated for.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #4

I agree with your concern. The angle iron looks thin IMHO. I am not sure how you could reenforce it other then replace it with much thicker angle iron.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #5

Battery Weight - should I be concerned?

To be safe, I would have a descent weld shop put in a few cross supports underneath and have them inspect the current welds that tie the bars into the frame and reinforce them if needed...

I assume it would be an inexpensive/easy job...certainly less than losing batteries!
St8-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #6

I put in over 12k miles with 2 batteries on mine.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #7

This is a rabbit hole type question for me personally and I could (probably will) go on and on about it.
My opinion is it is probably fine but I would reinforce it.
Doing an exact analysis is basically impossible because you don't know the dynamic environment the trailer will over its life. You can guess and you can improve your guess if you have measured data but in the end it is still a guess because the road conditions vary a lot. Even if someone gave you the exact Dynamic Environment, the analysis has some pit falls. most engineers would make some simplifying assumptions and look at it multiple simple ways...
So why would I reinforce it?
I think the angles themselves will be fine. One would need more data to be sure. My basic thinking is one battery at the center point creates a certain stress in the angles. The peak stress is at the center point along the length. Placing 2 batteries at the 1/4 points makes the stress in the angles the same as one battery in the middle but the peak stress occurs over the center 1/2 of the beam instead of at one point.
The problem area would be the welds. The stress at the welds is going to be double what it originally was. That could be okay but this is why i would reinforce.
You could elect to not reinforce and just inspect the welds carefully frequently. I would not go that route because I want to do something and never think about it again.
I can think of several ways to reinforce it. it really comes down to how handy you are and how much you want to spend. Here are a couple of options:
1. Cut off the old angles and weld on new taller angles. Taller not thicker.
2. Attach a piece of sheet metal to the existing angles and the frame in vertical plane. This effectively makes the angle taller. I'd make it double the angle height and the same thickness as the angle. Weld to frame and angles.
3. Turn the angle into a Z section the same height as the trailer frame using another angle and sheet metal. Weld it all in place and you could support the trailer from that spot.
4. Find a way to support the midpoint of each angle. This could be done from the bottom or the top. A simple way would be to place two beams across the top of the frame inline with the vertical leg of the angles. Then use two long bolts to go to a beam that runs under the angles. This is basically making a
u bolt that supports the center of the existing angles. No welding required just a few pieces of steel, some paint, a couple of long bolts, and a drill/drill press. I like this because it requires zero modifications to the existing angles and I can do it without welding. The downside is the least robust solution and heaviest.
5. You could weld on some plates near the ends to increase the weld area to the frame. Think of this as making the angles taller but just right at the ends.
Tom
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #8

Really appreciate all the feedback here. Thank you all!
Old 05-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #9

the easiest way is get a piece of 3 inch wide 3/16 or 1/4 flat stock and weld it to each side of the A frame in between the 2 pieces of angle iron so it runs the full lenght of the existing angle iron. That should hold the wieght and the angle iron holds them in place
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:01 AM   #10

Tomahawk has some excellent suggestions above.

What ever you choose, the least addition that will provide the most additional strength is to join the top of the "A" frame to the angle iron on the bottom. It can be a simple strap joined to the angle part way out from the frame. That makes a triangle and transfers vulnerable center load to a strong support.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:16 AM   #11

If i was adding a lot of weight i would build a new battery rack thats on top of the frame.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #12

I switched to two 6v batteries as well and was concerned about the weight. I got a piece of flat steel and some square galvanized u bolts that fit around the frame and added that as well. With the new piece of bolted steel hanging off the frame I felt a lot better.
jlambert121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #13

you're fine..

I have 3 on mine.. granted my angle iron is SLIGHTLY thicker.. but again i have THREE.

No issues.

If you're truly concerned cut it out head to the hardware store and weld in some thicker stuff.. find a friend with a welder and it can be done in 20 minutes. to test min i had me and my buddy stand on mine.. over 500 lbs no issues.
Dmeyer07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, weight