Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2020, 09:54 PM   #1

Bearing# quality

How do I know if i'm purchasing a good quality bearing? Looking at websites like etrailer, they don't even list the brand of the bearing. I've heard Timken are good brand, is this true? If yes is this the correct part number for a dexter ez lube 3500 TIMBT238? Any other recommendations? Thanks!
bigred6695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2020, 10:16 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can see your question resulting in several pages of comments since there are going to be that many personal preferences.

For one thing, the type bearing you are looking for would probably make a difference in the answer to your question.

Since Timken invented the tapered roller bearing, I suspect they are probably considered the best at that kind of bearing. AND, I believe, they are the only American company among the top five or so manufacturers. In my years as an automotive mechanic, I always leaned toward Timken but, again, that was--and still is--my personal preference.

Now, let the comments begin.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:35 AM   #3

If you are concerned about buying non Chinese made bearings then you would have to contact the sellers and see what brand/origin they are selling if not listed.

Yes Timken is good quality but there are also other good name brands.
They are not all made here but in other countries other than China.

If you have the bearing number you can check with a NAPA store.They normally sell quality bearings and seals.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:15 AM   #4

I ran China bearings for 6 years and maybe 20,25,000 miles. Repacked twice.
I had some backups that fit my previous 5er and while the inner is the same the outer is different. So I ordered some Timkens. They say made in the USA on them. I really don't have any problems running the China bearings as long as they're taken care of they should do the job.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #5

You appear to be in or near ABQ? A city of that size should have several bearing sales operations. Take an old bearing in and let them suggest - you'll probably learn something in the process
gmiller46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:41 AM   #6

Made in North America for me.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:38 PM   #7

Other than auto parts stores i didnt even think to look for someone who specialized in bearings. I did a search and found a local place that carries Timken along with several other bearing companies. Sometimes the simple things get overlooked, especially when I'm so used to buying online. Thanks!
bigred6695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #8

Go to a real Industrial supply bearings and drive place to get Timkens, you won't find them anywhere else. Toyo Koyo is also as good, but they will also be from a bearing and drive place. Forget auto parts places. NAPA mostly has SKF which is many times Mexican made, though it varies with part number. Timkens, depending on part number also may be made elsewhere but usually are USA made.

I replaced the bearings on 3500 lb Lippert axles about two years ago, and just last month replaced the bearings on 3500 lb axles on my Bigfoot which are Standens LTD of Calgary, AB with Dexter brakes and hub/drums. None of these were EZ-Lube however the Dexter catalog...

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...rsn=a33ae348_0

(scroll down to PDF page 7, which is catalog page 25)

The Dexter catalog does not differentiate between ez-lube and standard except to show both kinds of nuts and locking devices on the axle, in the same drawing. These bearings and seal are the same on both the Lippert and Standen/Dexter axles I have, all 3500 lb axles.

Outer bearing L44649
Outer race L44610
Inner bearing L68149
Inner race L68111
Seal is a 10-19 ID 1.719 in, OD 2.565 in.
National seal # 473336

Don't hold me responsible if it is not right but if you have 3500 lb Dexter, I cannot see how it could be anything else. If the outer face of your brake drums have the number 8-247 cast into them, then this is the correct page.

I bought the bearings and races (they come separate) from B&D Industrial here in Georgia, and paid Just shy of $170 including tax and $13 shipping as they drop shipped from their warehouse to me. (these are not popular with anyone in industry so they generally don't stock them in the local stores). The seals I bought from a local trailer place for a couple of bucks each, Chinese, but then found the number 10-19 crosses to the number above which is much better I am sure but is about $10 each.

Use a bearing packer such as the Lisle 34550

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...iABEgLzofD_BwE

And a good synthetic moly grease (I like moly in grease in bearings)

and you destroy seals removing them so a mallet and prybar.

I use a two pound or so hammer and a long taper punch with the hub on a large block of wood on the floor to knock out the races and drive them in with bearing driver set I have. They are available cheap but you probably can borrow or rent from auto parts stores that have tools, just make sure the proper size drivers have not been lost.

The race OD's are 2.36 in and 1.98 in so I think this one covers it,

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w83020

I set the seal with an arbor press and a socket from my 3/4 drive set, but it is easily done with a piece of 2x4 and a hammer if you are careful.

I scrapped the bearings from the Lippert axles but the ones from the Bigfoot, I cleaned and dried and packed one set and bagged up for a spare, the others I bagged though I would never use them unless it was a last resort. I despise China made bearings, only failure I have ever had was China made. Have changed others because I didn't like the looks of them, but the China made one ground itself it to dust (front wheel of a car) Cheap insurance to get good bearings and grease.

Charles
Old 05-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #9
IC2

Our 5er had three bad Chinese (unbranded) bearings, found at about 4K miles. Two of the outer bearings were turning blue from heat and an inner had a chip and a score around all rollers. All were replaced by Timkens from Rock Auto Parts, a great on-line seller.

There are other brands that are just as good - NTN, Bower, SKF, National, Fafnir just to name a few. Part numbers are universal regardless of brand though Dexter will put their part number on the box too.

A note- some Timkens are made in other countries now as they have at my last look, 27 different factories worldwide. Also, there are some imitations sold by unscrupulousness sellers. Real Timken boxes have a holographic image - tho I would bet that that is being counterfeited now as well. etrailer's bearings are NOT TIMKEN
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #10

Fafnir is no longer in business. Since the 90s. The Torrington Company bought them out.
Then in 2003 Timken bought out Torrington.
(I worked for Torrington, then Timken bought Torrington and disbanded them in 06).
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:04 PM   #11

So just for reference I worked in the Aerospace ball bearing industry as an engineer. It was mentioned before, but it only sorta depends upon what type of bearing your looking at. If it has an ABEC rating then they will all perform about the same if all else is equal. Timken, SKF or FAG would be your top 3 any of which would be fine. Looking for made in USA...go Timken.
liablebread0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:12 PM   #12

I agree, Timken Bearings.
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality