Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaselag View Post
Make sure you check the specs/capabilities of the renogy combo charger's solar side and your panel. Typically the combo's are weaker on solar than the stand-alone solar chargers. You may be end up happier leaving the combo in the truck and adding a dedicated solar charge controller for your portable panel. Renogy makes several that are not expensive.
It's the DCC50s, so you can charge at 50 amps from either the solar or the alternator source, or it'll cap both sides to 25 amps if you're charging from both at the same time. Should be good enough until I commit to a full solar setup, will def split the chargers into separate units then.
dmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2020, 10:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacd View Post
It's the DCC50s, so you can charge at 50 amps from either the solar or the alternator source, or it'll cap both sides to 25 amps if you're charging from both at the same time. Should be good enough until I commit to a full solar setup, will def split the chargers into separate units then.
The amp out should be ok, the problem may be the voltage. That combo has max 25 volts input for the solar. I believe you said you were using a 300 watt panel, which may exceed that voltage depending on how it is set up.
Phaselag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaselag View Post
The amp out should be ok, the problem may be the voltage. That combo has max 25 volts input for the solar. I believe you said you were using a 300 watt panel, which may exceed that voltage depending on how it is set up.
Yeah, but its a cheap piece of crap so I'm actually pretty shocked it output 240w during clear winter sun. Should be fine for the first initial jump into full time life. Still debating on wether to spend the $$$ outright for a good solar setup, or drop that cash into the new f150 with the 7.2kwh power bank and idle a truck for a few hours a day instead. Solar setup is probably smarter but I'm an idiot who likes new toys.

On another topic, what are the benefits of doing a 24 or 48v battery bank rather than a 12v one? From what I'm reading, it lets you supply the power pull at a lower amperage, so if my inverter is supplying 100w my 12v bank would push 8.33a and a 24v bank would do the same at 4.16a.

If thats correct (and I have no idea really if it is), at what power requirement would it make a difference to do say a 200ah 24v bank versus a 400ah 12v one? Are there any other benefits?
Old 12-14-2020, 11:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Yeah, but its a cheap piece of crap so I'm actually pretty shocked it output 240w during clear winter sun. Should be fine for the first initial jump into full time life. Still debating on wether to spend the $$$ outright for a good solar setup, or drop that cash into the new f150 with the 7.2kwh power bank and idle a truck for a few hours a day instead. Solar setup is probably smarter but I'm an idiot who likes new toys.

On another topic, what are the benefits of doing a 24 or 48v battery bank rather than a 12v one? From what I'm reading, it lets you supply the power pull at a lower amperage, so if my inverter is supplying 100w my 12v bank would push 8.33a and a 24v bank would do the same at 4.16a.

If thats correct (and I have no idea really if it is), at what power requirement would it make a difference to do say a 200ah 24v bank versus a 400ah 12v one? Are there any other benefits?
Think Phaselag is talking about voltage input to the controller, most bigger panels will put out 44+ volts, even if not at full watts. Not sure what that controller would do, might reduce voltage or not pass current at all. Believe I would go with a dedicated high voltage MPPT controller and a dedicated dc-dc only charger.

A lot involved with running a higher voltage system, including charging from alternator and converting higher voltage back to 12 volts. For smaller systems, only advantage I can see, is the smaller wiring.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:04 PM   #19

Increasing the battery bank voltage only seems valuable to me in two ways:
1) Reducing the current (Wire size and voltage drop) between the battery bank and an inverter.
2) Reducing the current between the battery bank and the solar charge controller.
The rest of the system is at 12V so the voltage needs to be stepped down.
The comment you made earlier is correct, Power = Voltage x Current, so if double the voltage, the current drops in half for the same power draw.
I think there are two advantages to running a higher voltage between the Solar Panels and the Solar Charge Controller (I use a 24 Volt panel):
1) You can run smaller gauge wires between the panels and Charge controller
2) The lower current results in less voltage drop and hence less power loss
3) The higher voltage panels are cheaper for some reason. Most 12V panels sell for about $1/watt but the the 24V panels can be had closer to $0.60/Watt.
Of course to take advantage of the higher voltage panels you need an MPPT Controller.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:23 PM   #20

Makes sense, guess I'll make that decision when I build a big battery bank, think I'll stay at 12V for now with 100AH lifepo4 for ease of use.

On another topic, for those of you with TT/RVs that have heated and enclosed tanks, what do you do about all the rest of the liquid plumbing? If it gets below freezing, wouldnt the fresh water and black tank flush inlets freeze? I'm headed down to Phoenix area in March when the TT arrives, but will probably have 1-2 days of sub freezing nights on the trip down. I'd like to be able to boondock those if possible, would it be a bad idea to winterize it, but fill the fresh tank full of water and anti freeze, and carry all the drinking/cooking water in portable jugs? How do you guys do it?
Old 12-14-2020, 09:40 PM   #21

Quote:
. . . would it be a bad idea to winterize it, but fill the fresh tank full of water and anti freeze, and carry all the drinking/cooking water in portable jugs? How do you guys do it?
I'm leaving Minnesota for AZ tomorrow morning. It's 10 degrees here. My tanks are all empty - I'll get water when I get down south. I'm bringing several gallons of flushing water plus bottled water to drink. So, pretty much as you described it.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:18 AM   #22

Boondocking is a continue search for water, power and place to dump the tanks. I would semi boondock for 4 months on my property where I could get water from several sources, dump the tanks at a local state park, I did have electricy added to the wooded property which was a rip off. $35/mo just for the meter but one less thing to worry about. I had a generator and used it in the beginning so then I needed gasoline and a gas can.

Boondocking is not easy.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock, boondocking, solar