Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2017, 06:21 AM   #1

Bent axle blues

Hello , we have this Visa 19 foot camper for a year now . After some research I find out it probably has a bent axle. Tires are showing signs of ware .
Anyone have any experience or advice? Thanks
Frenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2017, 06:30 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The cost for a new axle Dexter 3500# is about $150.00. It really should be easy for a repair shop to swap out. I would check the under carriage for damage or rot before ordering. The U bolts that hold on axles on the farm trucks have rusted through over the years.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:38 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do you know why the axles are bent? too much cargo? rough roads?

Would it be advisable to upgrade to a higher weighted axle. With only a single axle, you can only distribute all the trailer weight on two tires.

I have heard of people who have "flipped" their axle. I don't know if this is to fix the bent axle issue or to get high ground clearance...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #4

Thanks for the replys , I'm considering a new axle . It's not a leaf spring axle it's a torsion type axle . Think I'll get the trailer weighed , maybe an upgrade is in order.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #5

Bent axle blues

I had a similar situation on the first set of tires. The tire guy said it was an alignment problem. I took it to an alignment place the guy said I had a bent axle. (Which he was happy to replace for $150 parts and 2x$80/hr labor)

I did notice my tires came new without being balanced and thought that might be the problem. So I chose to get a new set of tires instead of replacing the axle.

The second set of tires wore differently and didn't last 6 mo. My third set of tires were Maxxis 8008. Load range E. I never had a problem with tires again after that.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The cheap Goodyears the original TT makers put on don't last, it may not be anything wrong with your TT at all other than the original tires not being designed to last very miles. When the TT was towed from the factory to the selling dealer the tire pressures may not have been right and often a new TT tires already have wear just from that possible abuse.

Tire pressure 5% above what is on your TT manufacturers sticker is critical. Making sure axle is mounted square to the TT is critical, have that verified before you replace the tires. Bent axle? Possible but very unlikely.

Good luck.

X2 on Maxxis 8008s, they last.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
The cost for a new axle Dexter 3500# is about $150.00. It really should be easy for a repair shop to swap out. I would check the under carriage for damage or rot before ordering. The U bolts that hold on axles on the farm trucks have rusted through over the years.

I had to replace our Dexter 3500# axle this summer (long story) and it was far from $150. The dealership wanted $700+....I was able to get it from a trailer place for about $400. In either case it was a 2-week wait since they don't carry these things in stock. I didn't feel that $400 was bad for the axle and 2 brake drum assemblies (which was the only way they sell them), but it certainly wasn't $150. With that said, I am far from mechanically inclined and I was amazed at how easy it was to replace a the axle.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #8

A bare Dexter 3500lb. axle from etrailer is $123.95 and free shipping.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #9

Self adjusting brakes on amazon for $76.13 including new shoes
2ndramtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
I had to replace our Dexter 3500# axle this summer (long story) and it was far from $150. The dealership wanted $700+....I was able to get it from a trailer place for about $400. In either case it was a 2-week wait since they don't carry these things in stock. I didn't feel that $400 was bad for the axle and 2 brake drum assemblies (which was the only way they sell them), but it certainly wasn't $150. With that said, I am far from mechanically inclined and I was amazed at how easy it was to replace a the axle.
Sorry to be the bearer of contrary news. There are many online outlets supplying many models and sizes. Since I didn't know the particulars I only meant to show there was a cost effective way to swap it out. My search this morning rendered several options in that range. A stick and brick retail will always be more.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:05 AM   #11

Well , as soon as i get the visa out of storage I will take a good look under and around, I'll keep you all posted. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of contrary news. There are many online outlets supplying many models and sizes. Since I didn't know the particulars I only meant to show there was a cost effective way to swap it out. My search this morning rendered several options in that range. A stick and brick retail will always be more.

I hope my response wasn't taken as a criticism or like I wasn't believing you....I was just sharing my experience. This is sometimes the danger with forums (and any electronic communications) when the reader is inferring something the author didn't intend. I sometimes get tired reading rifts between people who either take things too personally or misunderstood the intent. By all means, that is the last thing I'm looking for. When rereading what I wrote I can certainly understand how someone could take it the wrong way....sorry if you did (and I don't mean to say that sarcastically

The bigger issue is that while they can sound scary, axle replacement is really quite easy. In fact, I found it was both easier and quicker than repacking bearings.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
I hope my response wasn't taken as a criticism or like I wasn't believing you....I was just sharing my experience. This is sometimes the danger with forums (and any electronic communications) when the reader is inferring something the author didn't intend. I sometimes get tired reading rifts between people who either take things too personally or misunderstood the intent. By all means, that is the last thing I'm looking for. When rereading what I wrote I can certainly understand how someone could take it the wrong way....sorry if you did (and I don't mean to say that sarcastically

The bigger issue is that while they can sound scary, axle replacement is really quite easy. In fact, I found it was both easier and quicker than repacking bearings.
I felt bad substantiating my comment to someone dealing with larger numbers. There's no sense or happiness finding that there was a less expensive way to do something after the fact. The main goal here is to help folks. If the major points taken from this thread was how inexpensive new axle could be, and the other fact concerning just putting on proper tires would resolve this, the next guy seeking an answer would be ahead of the game.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #14

how are the tires wearing? Insides outsides? Also....how many miles on those tires and you say you've had the camper a year. Is it a year old camper or a used camper you've had for a year? Just trying to get more info.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote