Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #1

Exclamation Best Full Time Living Travel Trailer?

Hello,

I am in search of the best quality and most reliable travel trailer for full time living. The travel trailer I am looking for must be around 25' not much less or more, I also need to be able to get an artic package on it for all 4 seasons, and of course, I need it to be able to withstand full time year round living!

Thanks in advance!
Jaygonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #2

Are you sure you will be comfortable in a trailer that small? In that sizes you will be giving up things like ample counter space for cooking, ample closet spade for clothes etc.
Arctic pack is more marketing hype than actually any good.
As far as brands? Northwood Mfg of OutdoorRV are both about the best you will find. Theyr build on their own in house frames. They offer perks like dual pane windows which will offer way better heat retention than marketing hype. Add insulated and heated holding tanks and your set. Remember with 2x2 sidewalls all trailers will have basically the same insulation numbers.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:25 PM   #3

Arctic Fox 25Y, we have one.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #4

Both temperature extremes will be hard on any mass produced RV. If you spend your winters in Florida and your summers up in Maine, practically any RV will work just fine. If you're always in southern Florida, you're going to have problems keeping it cool in the heat of the summer, and keeping it stable and dry when hurricanes roll through. If you're always in Maine, you're going to have freezing problems in the dead of winter. Snow has a way of getting into places it shouldn't. There are ways to fight the cold, like heated water hoses and tanks and abundant use of propane, but it's going to hard on the RV. You can also fight the heat with multiple 15K AC units and building a cover to keep the sun off the roof, but those AC units will eventually fail, and a cover is just another thing to maintain.

There aren't any real 4 season RVs even though some are advertised as such. To get a true 4 season mobile living space, you need a tiny house. 2x4 walls instead of 2x2 makes a huge difference. Tiny houses can be completely comfortable and usable in hot and cold weather, but they are heavy. You need a 1 ton truck to haul most of them. At 25 feet, you're looking at about 12,000 to 14,000 pounds. That's well outside of 1/2 ton truck range.

I would suggest taking a road trip. It's the middle of February, so head up north to Toronto, and Maine. See what kinds of RVs you see up there right now. Shoot for those. Also, head down to south Texas in the summer and see what kind of RVs you find there. If you see the same ones at both places, that's what you should get. Just be prepared to spend some serious money on them.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I suppose you could do it in my ORV Wind River 250RDSW but you would want a front bedroom AC. Enough room to get out of the weather when needed and enough Kitchen to cook in the winter. A truck with a shell camper will give more storage room. It is 32 ft overall but with anything less I would be just camping.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #6

For us we go out for 6 months at a time, although have a 36ft and we considering full time if our house in northern Minnesota sells this Spring or Summer. We went with a Open Range Journeyer 337 because I wanted the dual ducked air conditioning and the 80 gallon fresh water tank, the number one thing I don't like is the cable slide outs, however after learning how to adjust them it not so bad, a good trailer is one you have room for your tools because at some point you'll need them, I've never had a problem with a slide outs when I got to a place it seems it happened when I'm leaving, this unit has the advertising of a four seasons but after being up I'm Montana in 20f and snowing a bit I know enough that if I had to actually live in it in temperatures below 30f I'd skirt the thing. If I had to have it for work camp in a cold weather place like North Dakota I'd look for used one and a good skirt kit and perhaps a heater that runs on a thermostat under the trailer and set that at about 50deg
Recycled 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:19 PM   #7

Normal well built luxury travel trailers that are advertised for full-time, four seasons are not really meant for that use in a cold climate. Meant for camping (glamping?) only. If you are going to be in the frozen North during winter full time, you might want to look at so-called Destination trailers. Forest River RV Destination travel trailers are a good example. But these are generally around 39 to 42 feet long and very heavy and meant to stay in one place a long time and not much touring or vacationing. Their triple layered, R-45 underbelly sounds impressive.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #8

Most of the trailers will do better in warmer and drier climates. Double pane glass will help with window condensation. Moisture control is going to be a bit of an issue when it is too cold to keep windows and vents open.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:08 PM   #9

Simple if you can stand 31ft and you can find one the Excel Winslow TT 31 Dt- RLE. 31ft 4 slides and 50A service. I went to pick one up for a friend and man what a TT. Full time no prob for this rig. Enclosed underbelly and storage like a 5ver. I was impressed and im in a monster 5ver.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:27 PM   #10

The Keystone Cougars I heard were 'certified', what ever that means, for full time living. I do not view the Keystone Cougar as anything special but it might be better than average. I need to research more.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, trailer, travel, travel trailer