Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Best Lightweight TT, New or Used

Greetings from another newbie,

I'm not new to RV's or travel trailers but could use some advise. We are looking to buy a small TT to tow with our Toyota Tundra 5.7L. I hear horror stories about some brands and how the floors sag and the walls have leaks etc.. Is there any good quality TT that is lightweight or any used model TT that would be good to fix up?

Thanks,
Gary
Wildman Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2019, 03:41 AM   #2

Its pretty much a crap shoot. Some models tend to have better track records, like for instance Airstream. But, that name comes with a hefty price tag even on a smaller, used one. Best advice is to do a real thorough inspection. You can generally tell if one had been well maintained or not. We started off with a 2010 27' Starcraft that seemed well built and served us well. We haven't had any major issues with our Outback we currently have either, but you can read stories of others who had nothing but problems and swore they would never own another. Sometimes it seems it just comes down to what day it rolled off the assembly line.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:56 AM   #3

Lance and Winnebago Micro Mini are small lite trailers with better than average bones (frame, axles, number of studs in wall and floor) and build quality. Winnebago has a very high quality fiberglass. Lance is known for their fit and finish. Lance also uses a PVC roof which I think is better than rubber.

But Dropthejacks is right, depends which day it was built and if the crew cared or did not care when the trailer was built.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:12 AM   #4

How "small", or "lightweight"?

Take a look at the new IntechRV Sol. About 19' long, sleeps 4, so maybe too small for some folks.

All aluminum frame/walls, appears they have put a fair amount of effort into design. Here's one of the two prototypes being built shown on their Facebook page:

IntechRV's sister company builds the stacker race trailers, special purpose trailers, media, concession, command post, industrial etc. All pretty good looking stuff construction-wise.
https://www.intechrv.com/sol.php

Another "guts" photo of the prototype, I like what I see (and don't see), there. Welded aluminum tubing everywhere, no 2x2 wood studs, OSB etc.

Copy/paste from article:
http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/tag/intech-sol/
Every inTech RV is built utilizing an all-aluminum, all-tube, fully welded cage frame. inTech designs, engineers and builds their frames in-house. Sol not only takes advantage of their aluminum frame, but also incorporates fiberglass sidewalls, a one-piece fiberglass roof and a composite engineered floor void of any wood.

I would think this would be a big deal to talk about, (one piece fiberglass roof especially), but I guess most buyers are looking at floor plan and cosmetics or features.

Used? Camplite by LivinLite is also all aluminum (later models may have changed roof material). There's a 2017 one of these used at a dealer in Junction City, OR
https://www.livinlite.com/products/c...s/CL16BHB.html

Camplite stopped being manufactured recently after the buyout, but models are still supported by the parent company, now Thor if I recall correctly.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Are you looking to go used?. A little more info is needed. Budget, sleeping capacity, couch. Depending in what part of the country you are, a used ORV Creekside, Blackrock or Timber Ridge are a solid trailer. New they run $5 - $20k more than the stick built Indiana RV units. They start with a heavier frame, axles, larger tanks and better insulated. Most will come with thermal pane windows.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:03 PM   #6

We really enjoy our Lance.

They are pretty hard to beat when it comes to towing with a 1/2 ton or less TV. Especially those that lack payload.

The PVC roof is easy to clean, and no dicor to deal with.

All rigid foam board construction with 2 layers of Azdel in the walls. R-12

The interior quality with their fit and finish is most evident over most other makes. But they do cost more, and even though we feel it’s worth the extra cost, I can also understand those that don’t feel the same way.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:24 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
Its pretty much a crap shoot. Some models tend to have better track records, like for instance Airstream. But, that name comes with a hefty price tag even on a smaller, used one. Best advice is to do a real thorough inspection. You can generally tell if one had been well maintained or not. We started off with a 2010 27' Starcraft that seemed well built and served us well. We haven't had any major issues with our Outback we currently have either, but you can read stories of others who had nothing but problems and swore they would never own another. Sometimes it seems it just comes down to what day it rolled off the assembly line.
Thanks...
Wildman Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:14 AM   #8

Before I bought my truck I wanted a Tundra because of my great experience with the 2 Highlanders I still own. I strongly considered the Lance trailers but I hated the idea of the front trailer window. I also didn't want a slide to reduce problems over the life of the trailer. I have astronomy camped three weeks over the years next to a guy with a Lance 1575 that he towed with an SUV. He really likes it. The inside quality looked great.

I ended up wanting an Arctic Fox 22G for the no slide, fairly short length and quality well insulated trailer. I bought a GMC 2500HD to pull it. I keep several hundred pounds of astronomy gear in the truck bed under a Leer cap.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #9

Take a look at Solaire by Palomino Berkshire-Hathaway (Warren Buffet) owns it. He doesn't own anything less than good. We got a 202RK and love it. About 4300# loaded. Aluminum frame. Azdel sides, fit and finish were really better than all the others we looked at. Look closely at the inside trim finish and you'll get a good idea of how well any TT is made. Some are real junk when you look at that.
ou didn't say anything about what you want in a floor plan so I'm only guessing here.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I tow with a 5.7 L Tundra, what size RV trailer are you looking for?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, weight