Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstyles View Post
Wow! Lots of good input. I understand truck is best but it’s also 3.5-4.5 ft longer...won’t fit my garage. We live in the city and so length is a real consideration for us. That’s another reason we don’t want a 3 row SUV and/or some of the larger SUVs. As for power/ability to tow I am talking about the diesel version of the Touareg (or Audi or Porsche). The 6cyl diesel has 406lb torque (not 266) so I think it should be up to the job especially since we drive conservatively. It also gets excellent mpg which is important to us (but maybe not others). I will look into the other SUVs suggested here to see if they might work. Thanks all!
Ok, well you did ask but it appears the experience of others doesn't matter. Buy what you want. Good luck with the VW and getting good mileage. Cheers.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rte1985 View Post
It is not the power that’s an issue. Most engines have the power to pull more than what they are rated. It’s the rest of the vehicle that’s the issue. The tranny, the braking system, the soft suspension, the low tongue weight allowance, shorter wheelbase, etc etc. you throwing a huge 5000 lb square box behind one of these vehicles and it’s going to underperform .

I understand that it’s not just about the power but since someone had put out numbers that were not correct I felt obligated to address that. Also some other posts had commented on it not be powerful enough to keep up.
Lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Ok, well you did ask but it appears the experience of others doesn't matter. Buy what you want. Good luck with the VW and getting good mileage. Cheers.

It is not clear to me why you have stated that “it appears the experience of others doesn’t matter” to me. I had originally asked for recommendations for non-truck SUV options. There were some thoughtful answers from people who do indeed use SUVs for a travel trailer set up like the one I am contemplating. There were other comments from some who think that a truck is the only/best way to go. For some of those, that was based on experience with both trucks and SUVs towing a trailer which is particularly relevant for me. For others it is based on their personal belief that a truck is best even if they have no experience with towing with an SUV. Those are less pertinent to my question but I still consider their opinion.
I have tried to accurately express what my situation is and that we have some limitations. As is often expressed on this forum (which I think is a very helpful forum by the way), everyone’s circumstances are different and the key is to get as much information as possible in order to inform your decision. I read/investigate/digest EVERYTHING that is posted here including those that conflict/disagree with my proposal and I try to respond in a thoughtful way.
Thanks to everyone who has responded!
Lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #46

Nor'easters Club
Jayco Owners Club
I sure love my Ram 1500 Hemi for towing and as my daily driver.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #47
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by rte1985 View Post
It is not the power that’s an issue. Most engines have the power to pull more than what they are rated. It’s the rest of the vehicle that’s the issue. The tranny, the braking system, the soft suspension, the low tongue weight allowance, shorter wheelbase, etc etc. you throwing a huge 5000 lb square box behind one of these vehicles and it’s going to underperform .
I can agree. We had a 25ft Aerolite pulled with a Dodge Durango. I'm sure the newer Durangos are beefier than what we had (2000) but they are still people haulers not well suited for TT towing. The GVWR on our Aerolite was 4500lbs; weighed/loaded for travel it came in just shy of 4k. Tow capacity for the Durango was 5k (before we & a load of firewood were put in it). We never traveled with water in holding tanks, except for the 6 gal in the water heater. There were very few storage compartments so there wasn't the issue of toting a lot of gear. Even with a WDH, running 60-62 mph on the freeway, we had tail wagging in cross winds & when being passed by semi's. It did OK, but that SUV wasn't an ideal tow vehicle.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TTDurango.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	232364  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #48

Suv TT vehicle

Use a 2017 Q7 with air suspension. Does great with 5000lb trailer and has a 7700lb tow capacity. Should try to have the trailer at 70% or less of your tow capacity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2F03ECE6-C977-4B14-A5CE-A23E2925F120.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	647.9 KB
ID:	232365  
Precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstyles View Post
Thanks for your thoughts on this. We DO know how nice those trucks are now but are just trying to see if there are other options that might be more suitable as a second car in a very urban environment (e.g. maybe a little shorter tow vehicle). And we have no real use for the truck bed itself. We have identified some SUVs that are rated to tow over 7000lbs (Touareg, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne). Trying to stay away from super big SUVs with third row as we don’t have any need for that either. We have identified several lite weight TT with GVVR around 7k and we know we won’t actually load it up to that weight anyway (we are sailboat people and know how to travel light). Of course the SUVs I identified above are $$$ so that is an obvious consideration as well.

You might check out Traveling Robert...probably can email him and pick his brain a bit.

For quite a few years he traveled all over the country pulling a Travel Trailer with his Kia.

I know nothing of Kia's, nor his particular trailer. But if I were in your situation I would look into what he did and how it worked for him.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #50

Traveling Robert wore out his SUV and bought a Chevy Colorado mid size truck.

I would buy an SUV with air suspension as the weight on the back will make it sag. Air suspension should level the sag out.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Traveling Robert wore out his SUV and bought a Chevy Colorado mid size truck.

I would buy an SUV with air suspension as the weight on the back will make it sag. Air suspension should level the sag out.
AND the Rest of the Story...

His Kia was already 12 or so years old when he started towing with it. He then towed with it for around 4 years and MANY thousands of miles, all over the country.

Then, when it was 15 or so years old it wore out.

I would not tow with it. You know what truck & trailer I have.

BUT, the OP is looking for a solution that fits her needs/desires, which she has clearly stated do not include a truck or a full size SUV.

Traveling Robert has 4 years experience, doing something similar to what she describes she wants. Certainly it would be wise for her to seek input/advice from him.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #52

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Towed a 26 Ft TT (6000 GVWR) with a GMC YUKON XL with the max tow package (rated to tow 8000lbs) for 3 years with no problems. The Yukon did have the air bags as part of the tow package which helped.

Name:	4A813751-AD02-411B-87AB-869919A9FC65.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	232373
Oh, I drive a pickup too, and grocery shop. Put a bed mounted tool box to carry the goods.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:56 PM   #53

I can agree with trying to contact 'Traveling Robert'. He is, to me, a pleasant, and entertaining YouTuber. I have watched dozens of his videos.

He started towing his Winnebago Mini with an older Kia SUV. He towed all over the country.

When he needed a different tow vehicle I did not see how he decided or what vehicles he looked at. But he did not buy a new SUV but rather a mid sized truck, the Chevy Colorado. You can ask, why he did not buy new SUV. That would be interesting.

An Audi (Outtie) Q7 is a really nice vehicle. My friend has one but does not tow with it. It rides and drives very nice as an upscale SUV with air suspension. It has a turbo charged v6 very powerful engine. That would be my top choice of a tow vehicle that would fit into your garage.

1. Has a very powerful engine.
2. Has air suspension.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #54

I first bought a 99 k1500 suburban (still own it) and I was planning on getting a camper for my family. Then I started doing some homework and realized it was only rated for 6000lb, The payload was going to be limited once it was loaded up, the tranny was known to poop out on these vehicles, and the drum brakes in the back are about worthless. Still love my suburban and use it as a daily driver. Since then I bought a 2500 suburban with 8.1 big block. Totally different than the 1500. Beefier everything and still has all the nice creature comforts, leather heated seats, power everything etc etc. The wife enjoys driving the 2500 suburban and other than the poor mpg it is a great driver. But we purchased it to be our workhorse. I'm very happy to see you doing homework. Most people see that a vehicle has a 7000 lb tow rating so they think they can throw a 7000 lb camper on there and be good when in reality there are so many more aspects to it. I wish you the best in your search but still recommend a full size suv if your sticking with the suv. If we were talking a pop up camper or a hi low or something then that would open up the options a lot more.
rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #55

I have not read the whole thread (I normally do).

I would highly recommend a Toyota Seqouia. I have a 2010 and it's an absolute beast.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:04 PM   #56
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
-- snip -- Air suspension should level the sag out.
Only when driving the vehicle solo. The weight distribution hitch levels the rig and tow vehicle. An air suspension is not a replacement for a properly adjusted weight distribution hitch and CAT scale verification of axle weights.

Most WDH installation instructions direct you to turn off the air suspension while adjusting the weight transfer preload.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow