Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #1

Best quality, non-slide bunkhouse

Can you please offer any suggestions for the best quality, non slide bunkhouse?

We are planning to purchase a trailer to park permanently at a high-elevation, mountain setting that gets snow in the winter. For that reason, the structural strength of the roof is important.

We are currently planning on a non-slide trailer so we have a better sealed box for weather, pine needles, bugs, prolonged exposure to the elements, etc. There are no utilities, and access is pretty steep and rough.

We like the idea of the Outdoor RV 21RD, but want a bit more sleeping/sitting capacity, so are looking for bunk house options.

We are currently considering a Grand Design Transcend Xplor 247BH, a Highland Ridge Open Range OT26BH or Mesa Ridge MR26BH, or a Jayco 26BH. See floorplan images below. Most manufacturers offer a version of the 26BH, but I don’t know if any are of superior quality?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xplor 247BH.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	265714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mesa Ridge and Open Range 26BH.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	265715  

Name:	Jayco 26BH.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	265716  
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #2

Quality Travel Trailer Brands

Quality Travel Trailer Brands
Winter of 2018 I joined the Dutchmen Owners forum and expressed my disappointment with my new Dutchmen Kodiak Cub. My opinion of Dutchmen travel trailers has not improved since then. Total cost of ownership has not been lower than much higher priced trailers.
Last year I found a thread on iRV2.com started by a new member who wanted advice on what to buy for his first travel trailer. What followed was a compilation of 1000’s of camper hours of experience and a list of brands from owners with firsthand experience. Needless to say Dutchmen and many other Thor companies were specifically not recommended. Their only advantage is low purchase price. Jayco is now a Thor company and the last 4? model years are also specifically not recommended. A short list of recommended brands and brief comments follow. I wish I had this information before buying.
Artic Fox
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi
$25k to $50k thermal pane windows
Hamersville Ohio (Cincinnati)
Outdoor RV
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi , $25k to $50k
Thermal pane windows, dealer in Denver.
Cooler in sun, Excellent support
Lance are $10-$25k more than the same length ORV Creekside or Timber Ridge.
2018 28'8" Timber Ridge was $34,700
Air Stream
Recent corrosion problem
Grand Design
Insulated well
Winnebago
Was Sunnybrook
Grand Design
One bad review
Elite Suites
Lance
Newell
TIFFIN
Excellent service
Nash
Oliver Travel Trailers
A company with a different business model.
New TT's are only available from the factory, no dealers. They have none in stock. They are only available by ordering. There are very few floor plans and sizes. Only the best components are used.

Easier to tow:
Air Stream, Oliver, and Escape are streamlined shaped trailers of high quality that are true cold and hot weather campers. They are easier to tow. They are heavier than many light weight and cost a lot. However, you get a lot more.
There are others that have curved leading and trailing roof edges. These also tow a little easier (see Forest River Rpod as an example). I have no first hand reviews of most other trailers.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #3

None of them are built to have snow on the roof for weeks to months on end. If it were me I'd build a roof structure to keep the rain and snow off the roof during the winter. It would also keep harmful UV rays of which are stronger at higher elevations from deteriorating the roof faster.
Not sure how much snow and for how long you're talking about but cold temps cause ice as well. 2,3,4" of frozen snow weighs a lot and all that moisture sitting on the roof can't be good for it. It's a lot different than having a few days or week of off and on rain where things semi dry out.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you can get someone to take it there perhaps a 5th wheel toyhauler used, would be a good deal with lots of room. For the heavy winters a cover would be a good idea.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #5

Howdy!

Check with New Horizon. They will custom build one for your needs.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #6

How about any well insulated camper stored under a "roof only" pole barn structure suitable for your snow load? The steel (chicken house) truss structure has lots of clearance, but these particular ones are made of 2" welded steel tubing instead of the typical angle iron.
Example:

Pole Barns | JMRS

I've seen folks at the lake spots, build similar structures over mobile homes to deal with year round use/roof protection. In your case if you need to change trailers, well, you still have a roof shelter on the property.

I, as usual, like the Nash for best value in rugged use applications, and decent insulation. Ground clearance, shock absorbers, heated/insulated tanks. It's a favorite with outdoor adventure folks.
https://northwoodmfg.com/nash-24b/
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #7

Thats exactly what I was talking about.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:20 AM   #8

Thank you for the information and suggestions above.

The roof structure is probably a good idea, and the toy hauler is also probably a good idea.

Regarding the different brands, I wish Northwood or Outdoors RV or one of the units with better insulation/structure offered a no slide bunkhouse.

Thanks again for your insight.
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #9

We owned two Airstream trailers in the 70s and 80s. We got spoiled for quality.

Now we want higher ceilings and more overall space without spending $100,000.

So we had a custom Intech 100 percent all Allumin trailer built.

Yes
Over kill for most. But we wanted dual purpose.

We can leave it out all winter regardless of the snow fall.
Because no vents will be out the top.

Right now we use it to haul the jeep and Harley. Sometimes snowmobile s to Michigan in the winter.
It has a 1,500 air heat ceiling unit.
That does the job.
TV and 12 volt and 120 light's

But at a time when we sell the class A.
This will have the interiors fitted with a bathroom and small kitchenette.

It does have a fold up couch and bed.

The bones are here and a one piece alluminum roof means long time no leaking advantage. Two batteries with converter built in.

Name:	20191104_092645.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	265831Click image for larger version

Name:	20191104_092616.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	265832Click image for larger version

Name:	0_20190515_192159.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	265833
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #10

Companies like Sundowner, Lakota
In tech and ACT make custom big boy
Very quality heavy duty trailers.
Finished out.

Other than Spacecraft you cant beat the benefits.
Low to ground.
Only one step up most often

With or without slides.

If we winter in Colorado or Ohio.
We didn't want a slide.
So we went higher roof like a stacker for roomier feeling and storage options.

The trailer pictured was custom and well over $100,000 cost because of the elegant interior.

Usually, with a toy hauler rear end and living room slide.
$50,000 up.

Your choise.Click image for larger version

Name:	0_20190512_110719.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	265834
Old 11-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #11

I do not know how much heat is lost thru the slide area but I think a slide would help make the trailer much more livable. Wanting a bunk house implies a lot of people. Having a lot of people in a non-slide trailer is not going to be fun.

With a generator and propane you can stay plenty warm in a trailer with a slide. If you are talking 5' to 10' of snow you can always leave the slide open. This winter go to an RV dealer where it snows a lot. I bet they leave the slides open w/o a problem.

If they have the slides closed then forget everything I have said.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I do not know how much heat is lost thru the slide area but I think a slide would help make the trailer much more livable. Wanting a bunk house implies a lot of people. Having a lot of people in a non-slide trailer is not going to be fun.

With a generator and propane you can stay plenty warm in a trailer with a slide. If you are talking 5' to 10' of snow you can always leave the slide open. This winter go to an RV dealer where it snows a lot. I bet they leave the slides open w/o a problem.

If they have the slides closed then forget everything I have said.
All good points
The Fifth wheel Sundowner has a slide.

We had 3 airstreams with no slides and we were comfortable.

Past year prevost and Bluebirds didnt have slides. Prior to years early 2000.

We have one slide in our Signature now and the two of us are quite comfortable.

If we spend time in Snow country during winter months. We keep the slide in.

We are quite comfortable [emoji6][emoji106]
Old 11-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #13

Best quality, non-slide bunkhouse

Have you considered a Park Model or mobile home? These are generally one step above an RV and not quite a tiny home. They are meant for fulltiming and 4 seasons. But very heavy. Some manufacturers include: Athens, Cavco, Champion, Woodland Park, Kropf, Titan, Fairmont, Silvercrest, etc. These sure look nice and are a long way away from park models of the past. If I was going to put a long term rv on a site to sit for years, it would be one of these and not an rv. Some models closer to RV include Forest River Quailridge, Forest River Summit, and Coachmen Catalina Destination.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:39 PM   #14

Add to the list above KZ Sportsmen Destination.

Tags
bunkhouse, quality, slide