RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I think of it as an investment. A very very very bad investment that is.

My investments went like this:

Bought for 15k traded 3 years later for 10k

Bought for 50k sold 5 years later for 22k.

So it is easy to turn 50k into 22k.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2019, 10:16 PM   #30

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
I've got to ask, why don't you want a slide they ad so much more room.
Jay D.
In most RV's, the slides do not have as much insulation and the slide seals are one of the weak areas for retaining heat in winter, cool in summer and the elevated chance of water intrusion(s)...
A non slide coach/trailer is not subject to these shortcomings.

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #31

I didn't get a slide because:

It weakens the trail structure compared to the regular aluminum framed walls attached to the frame and roof system.

It is a potential source of leaks, energy loss and mechanical system failure.

It adds substantial weight to the trailer reducing cargo carrying capacity.

If I want more room, I take a walk outside. The point of camping is getting outdoors. If I plan on sitting on a couch watching TV for hours I might as well stay home and save on gas.

I am very happy with our Artic Fox 22G and was glad that they sold a modest size trailer without a slide.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:02 PM   #32

You couldn't pay me to own a non slide RV. One good example is a couple years ago we went to a state park on the coast in May or thereabouts. When we pulled in around dinner time we didn't see anyone outside and thought that was weird. As we were backing in I got out to check my status and boom. We were inundated by mosquitoes.
They were so bad that people were relegated to stay inside their RV's.
Next day we went out for breakfast, came back and stopped at the check in station and got a refund for the next two nights. That surprised me a little but was cool on their part. We were not going to be relegated to sit inside our TT for two straight days. The park we went to has many outdoor amenities and not being able to do them makes the park useless IMO.
Many times we've been stuck in inclement weather.
Late this summer traveling through UT we stopped for an over nighter at an RV park. The weather was turning bad and we decided to stay an extra night. The day of the 2nd night was rain, thunder storms with narley wind gusts that literally shook our TT. Having the extra room inside just makes staying in more comfortable.

We did a short 3 night 4 day weekend trip with one of my sons and his family this summer. The 1st full day was really nice. The 2nd day it rained all day. They have a small single axle bunk TT. It was nice that we could all fit in ours instead of sitting out under an awning all day in 50* temps.

Our last 5er that we owned for 6 years had a dinette slide that never leaked and never stopped working. If you spend a lot of time traveling vs just weekend warrior stuff then the extra room is really nice. Point being who wants to sit outside with mosquitoes or rain? Most don't and having the extra room is nice.

I guess it boils down to how and where you camp. Don't get me wrong that we don't sit outside. During the summer in Oregon we very rarely are inside until after dark near bedtime. it's the off season that we spend more time inside. @62 and 66 years old, needing to be outdoors all the time isn't on our list of must do's. BTDT for years.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:10 PM   #33

Space is all relative. We have done a lot of backpacking together for the last 25 years. We have had to hunker down in many a thunderstorm in the mountains in a 1.5 pound backpacking tent. We have down many 2-3 week backpacking trips together.

For ten years we camped at astronomy events for up to 10 nights in a 5x8 cargo trailer. The 20x8.5 foot living space in the Artic Fox 22G seems huge in comparison.

The good news is people still have a choice to decide what kind of trailer they wish to own.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #34
Pup

Texas Boomers Club
Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocamper View Post
Space is all relative. We have done a lot of backpacking together for the last 25 years. We have had to hunker down in many a thunderstorm in the mountains in a 1.5 pound backpacking tent. We have down many 2-3 week backpacking trips together.

For ten years we camped at astronomy events for up to 10 nights in a 5x8 cargo trailer. The 20x8.5 foot living space in the Artic Fox 22G seems huge in comparison.

The good news is people still have a choice to decide what kind of trailer they wish to own.
My husband and I are full-time in a 19 foot trailer (23 and 1/2 foot overall). No slides. We love it. Prior to this we had a trailer with a living area that was 15 ft by 7 ft and took two to three months trips in it with a much larger dog LOL so space is definitely relative. We are actually getting ready to take the small trailer out for a couple months to Florida. We have spent many rainy days inside playing cribbage, doing crosswords and reading. I also sew while we travel, and we do puzzles and we manage to do all this in tiny spaces. By the way, my husband is six foot four and I'm 5-10 LOL

Liz
Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:09 AM   #35
Pup

Texas Boomers Club
Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Back to the actual posting subject - has anyone looked at the Braxton Creek? They are not on the level of outdoor RV or Arctic fox, but they seem to be a good quality travel trailer and they are a smaller company not owned by anyone else. I'm wondering if that affects the way the quality of the build in a positive manner.

Liz
Old 01-23-2020, 09:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcoxid View Post
X2 on the outdoors RV, mountain series, creek side class, timber ridge class and Blackstone class. Including 2 5th wheel models.

All models come with 14” G/Y Endurance E range tires many models have a optional 15” G/Y Endurance E tire available.

They actually have either 15" or 16" Goodyear Endurance.
Bill111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #37

Everybody gets wrapped up in 4 seasons.

“If its not 4 seasons than it must be bad quality.”

It only means the water lines, water and dump tanks, and valves are enclosed and heated.

My guess is 90% of owners will never need the capability. The only RV I would camp in with cold temps is a truck camper, with no slide outs and minimal sized windows.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #38

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Every RV is a four seasons RV in the right climate for the season you're using it in.

Any RV does just fine in January on South Padre Island.

I've had my ORV in sub zero weather. I don't need to go through that again. I also some many other RV in the same park getting through the same weather I did, in their own way.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:04 AM   #39

My neighbor has a Transcend TT which suits his needs. He was not concerned about a 4 seasons rig. When i was shopping for a TT, i wanted a true 4 seasons rig with enclosed underbelly with the valves protected and not exposed. A hunting buddy of mine was camping last fall in Idaho during a cold snap. He has an Arctic Fox. Two other parties had so-called 4 season trailers from Indiana. Their pipes froze. Couldnt use the toilet, sink, or dump their black/grey tank. The Arctic Fox was fine. After looking at a ton of TTs, i went with ORV timber ridge class. Well built trailer that will not limit my camping adventures.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #40

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
My guess is 90% of owners will never need the capability.
My guess is that's why 90% of RVs don't have the capability. Where people run into problems is when they need the capability but buy something that's sold as having the capability but doesn't actually provide it. Buying a 3-season designed trailer with a "4-season" package and intending use it for weekends at the local ski area is going to lead to disappointment.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
My guess is that's why 90% of RVs don't have the capability. Where people run into problems is when they need the capability but buy something that's sold as having the capability but doesn't actually provide it. Buying a 3-season designed trailer with a "4-season" package and intending use it for weekends at the local ski area is going to lead to disappointment.

Anybody who says their trailer is capable for all 4 seasons doesn’t know the details. Any structure that doesn’t have the proper vapor retarder, and venting will also lead to disappointment. It may not be as obvious, but in the long term you’ll notice the issues.

Homes just a couple years old will have mold issues without proper methods. Especially in colder climates.

These trailer manufacturers that use batten insulation with no protection from water vapor. Then put a small 2” “so called” vent in the roof is laughable.

If you use any trailer extensively in cold temps you will have mold. Just a matter of time.

bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality