Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2018, 07:02 AM   #1

Best way(s) to sell a used rig?

We aim to put our 2014 Flagstaff travel trailer on the market this spring. What would be the best way to do that? I imagine going to a dealer would be a sure way to get the lowest price, right? Are there any online used RV sales sites that have proven reliable and honest?
nomorervnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #2

We just purchased a Flagstaff Micro Lite 24DS off of Craig's List. You will be bombarded with idiots and scammers. That being said, be patient and you will find a buyer if your not over priced.
bmbl-bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #3

You may wish to list with rv trader. I found mine thru them.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
List it here in the IRV2 classifieds.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
When I sold my '15, I got lots of interest from RVT and RVTrader. Not so much from the iRV2 classified.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I always list on both Craigslist and RVtrader.

I sold one from CL, and one from RV trader.

Here's some tips from a guy who has done a LOT of shopping!

1) Make the unit ready. Empty ALL of your stuff out, I mean every last thing. There's nothing better than seeing a photo of the bathroom with a half used roll of toilet paper, a full, overflowing trash can, and a dang towel on the floor of the shower with a half used bar of soap dripping off the soap holder.

Or your underwear on the floor, or your shoes, or your coffee maker... I've seen it all, including bra's hanging to dry inside.

2) Take REALLY good photos. Even if you have to hire a photographer friend for pizza and beer to do it. Place the RV in a nice environment, and get GOOD photos. Please make sure the microwave is clean, those things reflect in flashes like crazy and you can see every hand print and spewed gunk on the front.. gross. I say NO FLASHES.. if you need better light, what I do i place a light outside of a window shining in. Really helps light the interior without blasting the photo.

3) Make the dang bed, and neatly & crisp at that lol..

Good quality, clean clean photographs with good color and lighting make your unit shine like a bright shiny well taken care of star among thousands of posts taken haphazardly with iphones, flash cameras, and underwear and bras in the photos...

Don't use photos from when you first bought, and mention in your ad that the photos shown here were taken DATE

Don't use photos of you camping in it. As a shopper, I don't exactly want to see how you used it, or your dog, or your camp chairs.... for some reason, it's sort of a turn off to see your wind charmer and flag out front.. makes me think you're living in the thing.

Then, once you have a good listing, with good photos, set your price a tad higher than the others of similar year and make. You have a CLEAN, Ready to go unit. The higher price also puts your listing higher on RV trader.. and admittedly, you've earned a little extra credit from your hard work making it ready. All anyone can do is offer you less, and you accept it.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
One thing I did when selling the '15 was to make a narrated Youtube video of the inside and put the link in the ad.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post

1) Make the unit ready. Empty ALL of your stuff out, I mean every last thing. There's nothing better than seeing a photo of the bathroom with a half used roll of toilet paper, a full, overflowing trash can, and a dang towel on the floor of the shower with a half used bar of soap dripping off the soap holder.

Or your underwear on the floor, or your shoes, or your coffee maker... I've seen it all, including bra's hanging to dry inside.

2) Take REALLY good photos. Even if you have to hire a photographer friend for pizza and beer to do it. Place the RV in a nice environment, and get GOOD photos. Please make sure the microwave is clean, those things reflect in flashes like crazy and you can see every hand print and spewed gunk on the front.. gross. I say NO FLASHES.. if you need better light, what I do i place a light outside of a window shining in. Really helps light the interior without blasting the photo.

Good quality, clean clean photographs with good color and lighting make your unit shine like a bright shiny well taken care of star among thousands of posts taken haphazardly with iphones, flash cameras, and underwear and bras in the photos...

Don't use photos from when you first bought, and mention in your ad that the photos shown here were taken DATE

Don't use photos of you camping in it. As a shopper, I don't exactly want to see how you used it, or your dog, or your camp chairs.... for some reason, it's sort of a turn off to see your wind charmer and flag out front.. makes me think you're living in the thing.

Then, once you have a good listing, with good photos, set your price a tad higher than the others of similar year and make. You have a CLEAN, Ready to go unit. The higher price also puts your listing higher on RV trader.. and admittedly, you've earned a little extra credit from your hard work making it ready. All anyone can do is offer you less, and you accept it.
EXCELLENT suggestions. I'll add some additional points and amplifications:
1. Make sure the pictures include both exterior and interior, and are of sufficient number - I would say between 100-120.
2. Include a concise description of the RV highlight features, and any worthy upgrades and modifications. Unlike some who list features that were relevant when the RV was new but not anymore. For example, built-in GPS when the RV is 8 or 10 years old is not what I would consider a highlight.
3. Make sure your description includes important things like hours on the generator, frequency of maintenance, date and age of tires...
4. If you have the RV Build sheet, take a readable picture and post it. If you do not have one you might be able to get one from the manufacturer. I know Newmar, for example, will provide you a copy of the Build sheet.
5. Clean the roof and show it on some nice photos.
6. I would mention any flaws like a chip in the tile, a scratch in the bumper, with perhaps appropriate photos. I hater surprises - things that the owner tried to hide. This provides an element of trust and sincerity in your advertising.
7. Respond in a friendly and cordial manner to people's inquires. I'm amazed when I hear from a seller in response to my inquiry in a somewhat unfriendly and terse response. The seller makes it sound like he/she is doing you a big favor by selling you his/her RV.
8. One way to minimize your advertising cost is to include only a few of the pictures with your description and state that additional photos and information can be provided upon request. If you are computer savvy you can put this on a server and just provide the prospective buyer the link to it.
9. Lastly, and more importantly is the advertising price. This, in my view, is very important. After all, a private party will rarely be able to sell an RV for the same price as what a dealer would sell it. Furthermore, the motivation for a buyer seeking a private seller is a decent price, among other things. So, coming up with your asking and ultimately selling price requires some work. This information is hard to get as the advertised price, or even the NADA price is NOT, in general, what these things sell for. Just like no new RV sells for the MSRP, one shouldn't be under the false impression that a pre-owned RV will sell for NADA low retail price. Not too long ago, I sold my 2008 Newell on RVTrader within three weeks. I knew I could not sell it at the same price that a dealer would want for it. I knew what a dealer would pay me for it. So, I selected my asking price accordingly. I only negotiated less than $10K from my asking price. I sold it to a buyer sight unseen and when he came to look at it. He said "... it looks just like the pictures..." and drove it away without even test driving it.
Selling an RV privately can be rewarding for both the seller and the buyer, but requires some work!
You can do it. Wish you all the best!
Old 01-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #9

There is always consignment. I told the dealer what I wanted and the is exactly what I got. I could care less what they actually sold it for. they can also offer financing to the buyer.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:48 PM   #10

Good info... only add is yo stage it for photos.
Nice table setting... towels on racks... simple not cluttered.
If you have a good complete maint record mention it in the ad as available on request.
I've had success w iRV2 selling a Toad and RV Trader selling a MH.
You won't know where the final sale comes from several no or lo cost choices out there.
Learn to dpot the scamers and ignore them.
You will get plenty of calls w selling service offers...I'd say no to all of them if you are serious about selling yourself.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #11

All great advice. Agree with RVT.com, RVTrader, and Craigslist as the best places to list.

Good luck.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post

I agree 100% clean it out and clean it up amazing what some people show in pictures... I have had good luck on CL and sold motorhome on EBAY
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #13

If your trailer has an ownership group or an enthusiast site I would also list it there. The people there are familiar with and want your trailer before they call. I listed my trailer on CL and received many inquiries but the serious lookers and the eventual buyer came from fiberglassrv.com. As above, the time you take to shine it up is well worth it. Dirty is a deal killer even if it is an otherwise perfect trailer. I like seeing a picture of the floor plan but maybe that is just me.

A great thing to have is a high traffic roadside exposure with easy parking. A well done for sale sale sign gets people to stop and visualize themselves as the owner.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
I sold my last one on RV Trader in less than a week for almost twice what a dealer would give me for it on trade.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell