RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 04:05 AM   #1

Best way to keep valves working smoothly

One thing I have had on my trailers is the gray and black tank valves start out working smoothly when new but continually get more difficult to operate (push in and out).

Is it corrosion on the shaft? It it internal friction?

How do you keep the valves working?

Is there something I should lube during winterization ?
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 06:34 AM   #2

I've never had one not work. I also don't wash chunks of food down the sink and I don't winterize them. Drain the tanks and there's nothing to winterize. You can get rebuild kits for them
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:43 AM   #3

I spray mine with Silicone spray, if their cable operated, the outer lining over the cable can get corrosion. Spray both ends and the slide on the valve that's exposed.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:08 PM   #4

Some people have drilled and tapped the area where the shaft slides and then install a zerk fitting. Grease it annually. I carry a set of both sizes in case I need to replace. They are in an area that can build up solids on the round plates. Just replaced my daughters after 5 years. Replace when they first act up. It won’t get better
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I spray mine with WD40 every now and then which seems to work it's way down the length of the cable.

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #6
Cat

Thumbs down

If you don't have cables then its the seals along both side of the blade get dry. This makes the opening and closing difficult. I have more trouble with my gray valves than my black. I assume this because of the dish soap that goes into the gray tank eventually removes the lubricate. I take my valves out and apply silicon lubricate Dow 111 its a grease like and very difficult to clean off or wash off to the seals. I have thought about putting a grease zert and using a grease gun, but I am not sure if that would deteriorate the seals? Safe Travels.
Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #7

Years ago an RV engineer suggested that once a month I add about a quart of cheap mineral oil to each tank immediately after I dump and then allow it to sit for an hour to get that mineral oil on the valve blade before any water is introduced. I have done that through 12 years of fulltime and now another 8 years of part-time and have not had any valve problems.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:36 AM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Some people have drilled and tapped the area where the shaft slides and then install a zerk fitting. Grease it annually. I carry a set of both sizes in case I need to replace. They are in an area that can build up solids on the round plates. Just replaced my daughters after 5 years. Replace when they first act up. It won’t get better
I disagree. My daughters acted up much less after getting to be 5 years old.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #9

Don’t use WD-40. Ever. Use silicone spray or a plastic safe lubricant. WD-40 is not a lubricant. It will screw things up. For the cable. Try cable graphite. They sell it for motorcycles and atvs
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:15 PM   #10

This may be a solution.

OldStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:34 PM   #11

Lots of good solutions posted above. Try anything in a pinch. Use what ever is available.

The gate valves with a short solid shaft are working through an open chamber. The shafts are supported at the outside end. Lubricate the shaft when the valve is open with plumbers white faucet grease.

The gates work against seals and can have significant friction. Again use plumber grease. Rub it on both sides or on the outside face and the inside seals when gate is open. Rubber gloves are appropriate.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
I disagree. My daughters acted up much less after getting to be 5 years old.
Thread winner.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve