Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2023, 02:01 PM   #1

Best way to sell TT

We’re talking about selling our 19 Winnebago which makes me a bit sad. We bought it new and used it to winter in Florida. It’s getting harder to find a campground that lets you rent by the month. The one we used since 19 is only allowing 6 month rentals now. Demand is getting high and supply is limited. Anyway we bought a condo and have a cottage we use in the summer. So TT use is limited. I wish there was a Carvana for RVs. They continually offer me more than I paid for for my used cars. Not sure I want to do a private ad and keep meeting strangers for a sale. The dealer will probably hose me but it would be simpler. Anything out there I don’t know about? It figures I got the thing modified the way I want it. It’ll save some money. I’m tired of driving a truck and wasting gas money. I’ll miss all this but I learned some things and just may be back.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2023, 10:25 PM   #2

i can tell you what NOT to do don't consigne it to a dealer or RV lot. i did this with a 28' Winnebago we had. i went down to check on it after about a week. when i went to open the door it was unlocked. when i opened the door the propane smell about knocked me over. someone had tried to light one of the burners and it was still on.. i quickly turned the gas off and let it air out some. when i went inside there were food wrappers and trash all over the place and it smelled horrible. i opened the bathroom door and they ( must have been some homeless people at night) had craped the toilet clear full and over the top. i went to the office and told them i wanted it cleaned and sanitized and that i would be down to pick it up the next day. he seemed surprised and acted like he didn't want to deal with it. i mentioned the attorney word and things started cracking. NEVER AGIAN! EVER! i have another story about a car i had on consignment IF you get bored.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 07:45 AM   #3

It will not be easy to sell and RV. It never is. I would try Craigslist to start. I think there is an area to sell RV's on this site too. I looked but could not find it. Maybe look harder than I did.

I sold my last RV to a person I knew. He happened needed it at his fishing spot. Yes, I had to reduce the price quite a bit to sell it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:01 AM   #4

After some bad experiences selling rvs in the past, here’s what I plan on doing when we eventually sell our Winnebago TT.

Advertise on Craigslist, and RV Trader
Do not show it to anybody at your home, take it to a neutral site
Insist on a small refundable deposit via Zelle to insure buyer keeps the appointment
Walk away with your trailer and end all communications if buyer makes a stupid offer.
Insist payment be made at a local bank where transferred funds can verified
Release title only after all hurdles cleared
Deliver trailer at a neutral location

If you take good photos, and the rv is in great condition, there will always be the “right” buyer if you’re patient. You’re under no pressure to sell or accept any buyer conditions or concessions if you own it outright. I’m also planning to state in my ad “The price is non-negotiable”. If you price it right, it will sell at that price, otherwise you wind up wasting your time with lowball offers.
Old 03-18-2023, 12:27 PM   #5

Clean and wax everything and make the price well under what YOU think it is worth.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:21 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Does anyone have RV dealers that they have had a particularly good experience dealing with on a consignment sale? Someone where it be worth taking a rig to even if it was a way from your home?
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
PPL Motorhomes based in Houston is a very large consignment operation. They get a lot of traffic in their locations and move RVs that are clean and reasonably priced. Three locations in Texas, one on Oklahoma and one in Florida.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:53 AM   #8

I recently sold a small TT on Facebook marketplace. Although I hate the way marketplace's so-called search function works, it seems to be where most of the private party sale traffic is going for all sorts of things these days, especially vehicles. It took about a month, and I had to settle for about 15% off my initial asking price (which admittedly was a little on the high side).

I also had a for sale sign on it that was visible from the street, and that produced a few lookers, but ultimately sold it to a local person who had seen the Facebook ad. I had no issues with hosting lookers at my house. I wasn't about to fool with towing it all over the place for people to look at it and then say no thanks.

Buyers paid me in cash. I would have accepted a verified cashier's check, but didn't have to go that route.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
PPL Motorhomes based in Houston is a very large consignment operation. They get a lot of traffic in their locations and move RVs that are clean and reasonably priced. Three locations in Texas, one on Oklahoma and one in Florida.

Ken
Wish I would have known. I just towed it back from Florida lol
I’m waiting to se how much the dealer I bought it from will low ball me. If I can’t live with the loss I’ll put it in a storage lot near my home and advertise it.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj48009 View Post
Wish I would have known. I just towed it back from Florida lol
I’m waiting to se how much the dealer I bought it from will low ball me. If I can’t live with the loss I’ll put it in a storage lot near my home and advertise it.
When I was trying to trade mine, all the dealers would offer me was NADA wholesale, or even less. 36% less than what I got selling private party. Complete non-starter.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:03 AM   #11

If you post your trailer on Craigslist, you will get a number of full price offers within the first hour. Disregard those, they are scams.

I have sold 3 trailers and bought 2 others off Craigslist, virtually all the trailers I have owned. I find the site to be a good resource to determine the correct pricing. If someone texts me, I return the text right away asking them to call me. I won't do business with anyone that won't talk to me.

I decline doing business with anyone that wants to take the trailer someplace for an inspection. Inspectors are paid to find problems, real or not. The effect of this ploy is to reduce your sell price. Someone will come around that will recognize your trailer for the value it is.

Dealing with people is part of the process and I agree it could be a pain, but you will get your highest price selling it yourself.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:29 PM   #12

I sold a TT over the summer. I paid for a listing with extra photos on RV Trader, listed a classified on this site, and posted on Facebook Marketplace.

I got a bunch of scam hits the first 24 hours on RV Trader (Scam - I’ll offer you full price site unseen but my father is sick out of town so I’ll send my mover to pick it up with a check.), then nothing else. Never got a response from my classified listing here. Facebook Marketplace brought me steady interest from real people who were local to me, and I sold it to a local family in about 5 weeks. I was a motivated seller. I began with the middle of the NADA pricing, then lowered it $500 every week until sold. I was also very aware of what my competition was in my area and made sure my pricing and my listing was better than theirs. Every one who saw it had looked at the competition as well, and it was that comparison that allowed the eventual buyer to know they were getting a fair deal.

What I like best about Facebook marketplace is you can see who’s actually contacting you, by checking out their personal Facebook listing. I would never use craigslist, as it is just too anonymous.

I also had excellent photographs, excellent and detailed copy listing all specs, and the unit was well staged with bedding on the beds, fresh flowers on the counter, and the table set. I know from my realtor days that good staging allows a buyer to picture themselves living there, and that makes all the difference in the world. I am always surprised how little thought people put into their listings, showing mess and clutter with very little in the way of specs in their description. I wanted everything about the experience to resonate quality, which it did.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:57 PM   #13

I just sold my 2012 in 1 week on F.B. I had many inquiries.
jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:51 PM   #14

I'm on trailer number three, I sold the first one RV Trader, the second one on CL. Best of luck!
toester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell