Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #1

Bike Rack on rear bumper

We just purchased a new Palimino Solair. It has the standard 4 inch square rear bumper which is welded directly to the frame. I emailed the mfg about bolting a bike rack to the bumper and they said not to do it and that it would voild the warranty. Sounds like liability BS to me.

How many of you have mounted bike racks or accessories on your bumpers and how has it worked out?
Thanks for your help.
SNUBBY357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #2

I have a palomino puma and bolted the bike rack with 4 bicycles. After the first trip (15 miles from the house) the bumper twisted and kinked. The rack was leaning by the time I got to campground.
Solution: used a cutting torch and cut the factory bumper off and fabricated a new one out of heavy steal and welded to to the frame. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411087131.137181.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	734.0 KB
ID:	74235Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411087167.767256.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	525.2 KB
ID:	74236

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411086980.806705.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	784.8 KB
ID:	74234
Cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Nothing would stop me from putting a couple hundred pounds on the bumper. Can't imagine it would be a problem.
There might be another solution though. I already had a Saris hitch mount bike rack for my road bicycles. We went with the dual receiver from WalMart. I can carry the bikes and we can still tow the car or boat if we want.

edit.....oops looks like the bumper on your rig might not be very strong.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #4

Unfortunatly there is bad voodo with bike racks on the rear bumpers of a TT. Every bike rack I've seen has in writting not to mount on a TT. There's some kind of harmonic vibration that does bad things to the bike rack. I lost 4 bikes on the highway in some place i will not mention because I still have nightmares that I might have wasted a car behind me. No Idea where those bikes are. I have seen a system for mounting bikes on the tonge area. This I haven't done but some day maybe.
Jugghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #5

I made my own bike rack out of 1-1/2" tubing. I made some receiver brackets that I bolted to the bumper and frame. It's rock solid. I also put some Hollywood front fork holders on it as well as welded an upright post for each bike. I have a rubber strap that holds the bikes cross tube to the upright post. I've been using it for close to 10,000 miles and two seasons of camping. Zero issues.
I have a solid heavy duty frame built by Northwood under our 5'er. I know what good welds are and what is required for support. I don't think I would do the same on certain TT/5'ers. I would have to inspect how it was built and make any necessary improvements if needed.

IMO the main thing that needs to be addressed is how solid the bikes are on the rack. You really need to make or purchase a high quality rack. You don't want your bike wiggling around back there. My rack is basically the same as the tilt down versions only it is removable.

Cajunman is doing the right thing in making sure his bumper is solid. Nice job.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #6

I had welding points of the bumper reinforced + supported the receiver tube with heavy metal rods connected to the frame from below. Feels very solid.
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote