Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Bike rack on rear bumper?

Hi All,
Trying to get my first trailer set up for my wife and I. We have a 2015 Creekside 20FQ.

Is the rear bumper strong enough to support a bike rack?

There is no rear hitch, but I see there are receivers that can be bolted to the bumper. Bumper also has a spare tire attached to it.

I'm fairly certain the bumper can hold this load, but would like some reassurance.

Thanks.

(I tried searching for this, but I REALLY struggle with the search function on this forum for some reason.)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #2

It is probably not strong enough for a bike rack. The issue with bike racks is the weight of the bikes and the leverage that they create just stresses the bumper. Even with a hitch setup they can be sketchy. I’d try to attach to the frame. The tire doesn’t stress the way a bike does.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:06 AM   #3

How hard/expensive could it be to have a 2" hitch receiver added?
Happy that our ORV 21RWS came with a good one.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The right answer is to have a receiver welded to the frame. If the concern is cost, how much will you save by trying a bumper mounted receiver and how much will it cost you to replace the bumper, bikes and rack?
Old 03-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 2015 ORV Timber Ridge. When we purchased they didn’t recommend a bumper style bike rack. It surprised me because the spare tire was mounted on the bumper. We were advised to get a hitch installed which I did. The hitch was installed by our dealer. We have travelled thousands of miles with our Swagman bike rack mounted on that hitch without a problem. It is a solid mount. After reading about all the problems people have encountered with the bumper mounts I’m glad we asked when we bought.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:28 PM   #6

Amazon sells a Curt RV frame mount hitch for about 100 bucks. That and a Swagman rated for RVs and you'll be just fine. Check etrailer for the Swagman.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:56 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ok, thanks for the info. Not what I was expecting, but I'm glad I asked.

Looks like we may be hiking for awhile.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:05 PM   #8

Buy a class iii or iv receiver hitch and find a local welder to weld it onto the trailer frame. Weld-on is much stronger than bolt-on.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:28 AM   #9

It depends on the bike weights, and the bumper construction. Some bumpers have rather weak mounting to the trailer frame. Even if the spare is on the bumper. A friend with a Micro Winne put his small generator on a bumper mount. We used a harbor freight bolt on receiver, doubled up the U bolts and it ended up tearing the part that bolts to the frame. A trip to the welding shop fixed that. So get underneath and have a look.
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:55 AM   #10

This guy nearly lost his rear bumper and bikes on the road due to the welds cracking on the thin square tube RV bumper.

The bad part isn't losing the bikes, it's what would happen to the car behind you on the road.

https://youtu.be/dN9DpkDDcb4
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #11

Be very wary.

I installed a bike rack for 2 medium weight bikes into the rear bumper of my Kodiak several years ago. During the first trip out with this rack, at a rest stop about 4 hours in, I found that the bumper had developed a slight twist. Also, several of the spot welds had torn away. The combination of the crappy factory welding and the Pennsylvania turnpike roads was more than the bumper could take

Just sayin...
msdevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #12

Trailer bumpers are notoriously weak, because many (most?) of them are not actual square tubing, they are simply rolled steel, formed and welded with a seam down the edge. The twisting force encountered when you bolt a bike rack on and head down the road will rip the welded seam apart, dumping your bikes and rack on the pavement.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #13

ORV rates its current bumper hitches at 250lbs and even that limit is to prevent people from adding too much weight on the rear and lightening the tongue rather than strength limitations.

Bicycles are light, what are we talking about? ....maybe 75 lbs? (the average mountain bike weighs 29 lbs. Your spare tire likely weighs about the same amount.

I'd have zero second thoughts about a bolt on reciever for a couple bicycles on an ORV bumper. Definitely check it every so often. My partner hauls two mountain bikes on a similar bolt on reciever on her Cougar Half Ton series and has for several years.....not all trailers (or bumpers) are created equally.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 03-11-2021, 04:00 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
Buy a class iii or iv receiver hitch and find a local welder to weld it onto the trailer frame. Weld-on is much stronger than bolt-on.
I would dispute welding v/s bolting. Some applications yes not all. Most frame cross members are riveted. Rivets and bolts are used in many frame applications.
Crawl under a few truck frames and look at the cross members.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike rack, rear