Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken90004 View Post
Sounds odd. I believe my shower in draining into the black. I noticed the larger pipe and thought that the solids would have to use it.

That means i either need to leave the black open or expect it to be full after three or four showers.
Ken, Is your shower on the same side of your coach as the toilet? Our bathroom sink drains into the black tank but I assume that is only because the sink and toilet are both situated over the black tank. Everything that drains into the gray is on the other side.

Honestly I have never heard of a shower draining into the black tank.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #16

You can sit on the toliet and put your feet in the tub. Drains are less than a foot apart
ken90004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
I can't imagine any builder putting anything in the black tank except the toilet.
ImagineIF
As built by SMC:
My bathroom sink drains into the black tank.
The tub/shower/tub and the kitchen sink drain into the gray tank.
My Splendide does not drain into either tank, (it drains directly out of the 3" sewer hose connection).
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #18

Assuming you have checked by leaving the valve open and running the shower then they obviously got lazy and took the easy way out. Bad practice since kitchen and basin don't really amount to much, but that depends on relative size of tanks. Doubly bad practice because unlike the basins and sinks, the shower is lower than the toilet and obviously potential for sewage to backflow into the shower base

Nothing to be done about it and you need to dump every three days (which you would have to do anyway if the shower ran into the grey tank)

Even if the RV is brand new, there may not be any enforceable code that would apply in this case

Guess you know not to leave your black valve open all the time when on hookups to avoid a build up of solids. Let it fill to more than half before dumping and then close the valve
Old 08-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken90004 View Post
You can sit on the toliet and put your feet in the tub. Drains are less than a foot apart
Sure sounds like the shower goes in the black tank. I also would test it by dumping both tanks and make sure they are empty then close both, run the shower for a while then see which one has water in it. If it actually works like that it would be a major inconvenience for us. We can go over a week on the black but if not conservative on the gray get only three days. Some parks w/o site sewer connections will either allow or turn a blind eye to draining the gray on the ground.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote