Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2015, 06:34 AM   #29

best thing to do is add a water softner to the black tank inbetween trips and let it slosh around as you drive, dump with full tanks when you do by filling with water and if you get a stuck sensor just fill and dump about 2 or 3 times and it will clear.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We started using Happy Camper holding tank treatment, not the Extreme cleaner last fall. After dumping the tank we just fill the bowl and put in one scoop (included in the plastic tub) and if necessary clean the bowl with a regular toilet brush then flush, fill and flush again. That easy and works. We used to use liquid boat tank treatment from West Marine because it seemed to work but measuring liquid was a PIA and it was easy to spill. I don't see us using anything other than Happy Camper now.
What do you mean..."it works"? Were you having odor problems before you started using it. Were you having clogging problems before you started using it? Just saying it works leaves out a whole bunch of information.

FWIW, if you are experiencing odor or clogging, you have a problem. Either in dumping procedures or you have seal/vent problem. Be aware that many times an odor can come from the gray tank if the AAV is not functioning correctly and it will mimic an odor from the black tank.

IMHO, for normal operation in keeping both tanks clean and odor free, all you need is water and a good washing with some sort of soap (dish or laundry) while traveling.

In the case of the OP's problems, yes some harsh bacterial based chemicals may be needed to dissolve the harden poop and allow drainage. But once this problem is taken care of, no more chemicals are needed.....

If you want to spend your $$ on Happy Camper, throw in packets, other dissolving chemicals like rid-x and such when your tanks are operating normally....go ahead..it's your $$.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #31

Been using Happy Camper for over a decade!...And we are! Happy Campers! .... It works! and I've found No reason to try anything else!

https://www.5starhappycamper.com
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:56 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just to add to some of the additional good info that has been supplied. I agree that most of the time when you smell odor it is your gray tank unless you have a seal issue with the toilet. The black tanks are sealed well and vent out the top of the RV. Many gray tanks vent inside the RV under the sinks. Gray tanks stink a LOT. We had an odor problem and found out quickly it was the gray tank. We now treat that with gray tank pellets and all smells of roses.

Anyone that is relying on bacteria to digest the waste is wasting money. It can't do it in a week. Smell is your only concern... well that and pyramids but those are eliminated by keeping a few gallons of water in the tanks at all times.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
Just to add to some of the additional good info that has been supplied. I agree that most of the time when you smell odor it is your gray tank unless you have a seal issue with the toilet. The black tanks are sealed well and vent out the top of the RV. Many gray tanks vent inside the RV under the sinks. Gray tanks stink a LOT. We had an odor problem and found out quickly it was the gray tank. We now treat that with gray tank pellets and all smells of roses.

Anyone that is relying on bacteria to digest the waste is wasting money. It can't do it in a week. Smell is your only concern... well that and pyramids but those are eliminated by keeping a few gallons of water in the tanks at all times.
That is an air admittance valve under the sink. It prevents the water in the trap from being sucked out when the gray tank is dumped. There is a flexible flap that opens to let air in when a vacuum is formed by the tank being dumped. If the flap doesn't close properly, odor from the gray tank can enter the RV.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
That is an air admittance valve under the sink. It prevents the water in the trap from being sucked out when the gray tank is dumped. There is a flexible flap that opens to let air in when a vacuum is formed by the tank being dumped. If the flap doesn't close properly, odor from the gray tank can enter the RV.
Correct, I misspoke... the air that comes in is from under the sink is what I meant. In home construction that is often called "venting" when you don't have access to outside air which tripped me up If the valves are cheap/faulty you get the stink. I have the issue under my sinks, if I don't use grey tank pills I get stink. I'm going to replace the valves with higher end valves to fix the problem correctly.

The hard part is trying to decide what is "higher quality" I'm looking at the Home Depot selection and am unsure.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:12 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
What do you mean..."it works"? Were you having odor problems before you started using it. Were you having clogging problems before you started using it? Just saying it works leaves out a whole bunch of information.

Ron
What I mean is that small amount of odor from normal use especially when it is hot out is cut down to almost nothing. The other treatments we used were OK but not as easy to use and not as affective IMHO. We have found that the more full the tank is the more we could get some odor when flushing and the ball valve is open. Not running the fan helps too. We don't have and clogging problems. Happy Camper does seem to work pretty well for cleaning the toilet so that is a bonus.

Where we camp the most there is no sewer connection but there is a honey wagon once a week for free when you are long term. That means we can not dump anytime we want so our tank might get more full than others that can open up the valve and dump any time.

I'm not trying to say the stuff is a miracle or anything, it just works for what we need and it's not terribly expensive. Hope that explains it a little better.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #36

If you really want an extravagant answer:

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Old 06-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #37

anyone try fabric softner in between dumps?

I do and have no issues but then again with no issues its hard to tell if the fabric softner is working....
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #38

Never had a problem with either tank, just let them each fill up and empty when necessary with assistance with the tank-flushing mechanism built in to the RV.

When we had to, we filled the tank(s) and put some vinegar into each before draining to clear out some smells, also traveled with a small amount in each to break up any deposits and let them drain out as part of the set-up procedures.
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:30 PM   #39

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I always put some water back into the black tank after dumping . Just driving around dissolves anything solid in the black tank .
Unfortunately I have been behind some of the folks that dump , refill and dump again. Other than wasting time and water it does no good. Put water in the black tank and drive to your next destination, problem solved.
I usually do as you say with the exception of my next destination being home.
Than I take a bit more time and do a good rinse.
Have never taken more than 10minutes tops.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:50 AM   #40

I use Happy Camper and works great. Check it out. I also use Calgon (remember back when you would take a bath with this stuff and the tub would be so slippery you could fall!
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:47 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonrv View Post
I use Happy Camper and works great. Check it out. I also use Calgon (remember back when you would take a bath with this stuff and the tub would be so slippery you could fall!
Remember the Calgon "take me away" commercials? Kind of fitting for RVing
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #42

Remember the Borax "20 Mule Team" commercials?

Calgon is mostly Borax and water. Borax is usually easier to find in a store's laundry section.

What Is Borax and Where Can You Get It?

Tags
tank