Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Black tank cleaner

One of my RVing friends just presented me with an idea he had about sticking black tank indicators. He said he puts 10 pounds of crushed ice in his black tank just before starting his drive. The motion of the trailer scours out the black tank sludge and liquefies everything in there, clearing the float and making his indicator read correctly. He dumps it as soon as he gets to a dump site or to a site with a sewer. Has anyone else done this? Does it work? I have to admit it makes sense.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
EV2

Check the test....
https://youtu.be/iH6acEmqvcw
EV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
There is a video on youtube of this with a clear tank to show that it does not work.
sledwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #4

Doesn't work that well.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
However, I've heard of a big dose of liquid fabric softener and a trip along some twistys making everything so slippery in there that nothing sticks. Anyone know of any test results one way or the other? What about chemical effects to the internals of the black tank?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To me, if you have to resort to these antics, you are not draining and flushing the tank enough.
I use ample water and some Dawn detergent, and I'm done. If there are any residual odors, half cup of bleach takes care of it.
Start clean, keep it clean.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
I have a brand new one that hasn't even been christened, yet, but it has a half cup of Dawn and a half cup of fabric softener and about 5 gallons of water in it. I'm sure preventions such as these beat any cure anyone can come up with... other than replacing the whole thing... Thanks for the replies and debunking by bud's wild idea...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #8

Ice is expensive water.

Ice is for cocktails...not waste tanks.

GEO Method helps.........but why are folks so OCD over waste tanks?

Tank gets FULL..dump it. Quick rinse/flush ----add a few gallons back in so bottom of tank doesn't dry out........done

Toilet 'burps'.....time to dump
Sink/shower draining slower than usual...time to dump
On board pump goes.....burrrrrrrrrrrrrrp----need more fresh water

Simple
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:23 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
I use a few cascade complete dishwasher soap packets and fill it up with hot water before I drive then dump it
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Ice is expensive water.

Ice is for cocktails...not waste tanks.

GEO Method helps.........but why are folks so OCD over waste tanks?

Tank gets FULL..dump it. Quick rinse/flush ----add a few gallons back in so bottom of tank doesn't dry out........done

Toilet 'burps'.....time to dump
Sink/shower draining slower than usual...time to dump
On board pump goes.....burrrrrrrrrrrrrrp----need more fresh water

Simple

Yep. These tank products are an example of the RV supply industry "creating" a need for product. After all, there's poop down there. As many have said here before, if the tanks are maintained AND used properly, there is never a smell in the coach.
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:04 AM   #11

The ice trick is good for breaking up solids like the dreaded "pyramid" but there is not necessarily a "stuck" sensor.

The sensors are a sequence of electronic devices that send a signal that they are either under water or not.
It's not like a float in a sump pump.

When you get a false reading, it's because there is sludge coating the wall of the tank where the sensors are.

I find hosing the tank out with a wand is most effective, but a very temporary.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:17 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
One of my RVing friends just presented me with an idea he had about sticking black tank indicators. He said he puts 10 pounds of crushed ice in his black tank just before starting his drive. The motion of the trailer scours out the black tank sludge and liquefies everything in there, clearing the float and making his indicator read correctly. He dumps it as soon as he gets to a dump site or to a site with a sewer. Has anyone else done this? Does it work? I have to admit it makes sense.
When I got our last coach none of the sensors were close to reliable. Who knew how the maintenance was done before. I tried many cleaners, sensor cleaners, some helped a little but not reliable so I started the following.

After a trip, I raise the right jacks up a bit to get good empting ( you'ld be suprised how much remains on level) , a through cleaning, flushing with the onboard system AND a auxiliary wand with the spinning head down the toilet for another good flush.

Then before it's put away till the next trip I fill the tank up all the way with water and a toilet pack. This has kept my sensors working. I am able to do this as i live in florida and have no worries of a freeze.

I am fortunate to have a sewer cleanout plug in my driveway so i can take my time to do a through cleaning.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Happy Campers. Used according to directions, it's not really an expensive option to other toilet chemicals, and those that use it swear by it.
Happy Campers & Healthy Boaters RV and Boat Odor Removal
Old 08-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #14

Carolina Campers
I like to rinse the tank via the Black Tank Flush connection until I see clean water through the see through clear fitting. Then I close the black tank, fill it and empty it again.

When I am ready to leave, close the tank, add ~ 5 gallons of water before I disconnect the hose from the flush connection. Now just add 1/4 bleach to the bowl.

Figure this does two things; 1) that water will slosh around while driving, and 2) I have water already in the tank starting out on the next trip.

Tags
black tank, tank