Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_RV_Guy View Post
That was actually the point of my question. Is this system something that should have a regulator on while using? I assume you do want to regulate it, to avoid potential damage to the system. And I really do NOT want to damage my system! But if there is anywhere that you might want higher pressure water flow, this would be it. That's why I was getting people's opinion on it. While dumping, I was thinking very hard about each step I was doing, and why. Great helpful pointers here, though!
I have a regulator on my clean water side, have always used full line pressure on the flush. No issues that I have seen.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Will it not put water into the black tank?

It does put water in the black tank. I imagine it's just a clean-in-place (CIP) spray ball in the tank. It just does not do a good job cleaning on our tank. Though, I have always left the black tank flush valve open, and was depending on the spray jets to clean.

I just tried it yesterday.. Once I thought the water was clear using the CIP only, we dumped water via manual labor and a pitcher, from the bath tub into the toilet, with the flapper open.. there was alot more "stuff" that came out of there.

I guess we all just look for the little systems that work for us.

This site has been so helpful to us. thank you.

Mike
MLiljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLiljen View Post
It does put water in the black tank. I imagine it's just a clean-in-place (CIP) spray ball in the tank. It just does not do a good job cleaning on our tank. Though, I have always left the black tank flush valve open, and was depending on the spray jets to clean.

I just tried it yesterday.. Once I thought the water was clear using the CIP only, we dumped water via manual labor and a pitcher, from the bath tub into the toilet, with the flapper open.. there was alot more "stuff" that came out of there.

I guess we all just look for the little systems that work for us.

This site has been so helpful to us. thank you.

Mike

Most are actually just a spray on side of tank. You would be disappointed to see it really dosnt spray around the sides of tank like we would like. The pouring the pitchers of water is at best only removing a small additional amount. Reason is its all entering tank at same point.

Try closing the valve and filling the tank with just water. You can time it, watch through flapper or use the tank lights to see how much you have added but once full either let set a little while then dump. Repeat till no sign of paper or poop is coming out. This is best done at a full hookup site so that your not holding up others at a dump station.

I've done this for several years without any problems, we don't use any chemical in tanks and use regular house toilet paper. It will take some time but you will get better and faster as you do it more.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:17 PM   #18

Using a clear sewer hose adaptor?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #19

Will give it a try.

If the clear elbow adapter question was to me: yes.

Thanks guys.
MLiljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:53 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good info here. I bought a flow meter so I know exactly how much water I put into a tank - either fresh or black. I usually travel with a half tank of fresh water and I have been putting 10 gal in my black tank after dumping. Occasionally I'll add some dishwasher detergent to the black tank as well. The flow meter has been very helpful to me.
https://smile.amazon.com/P3-P0550-Wa...ter+flow+meter
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:44 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Good info here. I bought a flow meter so I know exactly how much water I put into a tank - either fresh or black. I usually travel with a half tank of fresh water and I have been putting 10 gal in my black tank after dumping. Occasionally I'll add some dishwasher detergent to the black tank as well. The flow meter has been very helpful to me.
https://smile.amazon.com/P3-P0550-Wa...ter+flow+meter
jt
Nice item Harley, I would need an alarm on mine.
Got distracted by a young blonde while filling my black tank up with fresh water to clean it a second time and had it overflow inside. Luckily I had already dumped it once so minimum solids and I did catch it just as it hit the rim so a few towels soaked it up. That's only happen once, I no longer carry on conversations while cleaning black tank and have been known to set alarm on my phone!
Old 06-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #22

Carolina Campers
Back to the question of using a pressure regulator on the black tank flush. I never do. Seems to me that when flushing, water is always flowing and the pipes are never under enough pressure to present an issue even if the city water pressure is high.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:09 PM   #23

Keep in mind that at a dump station, using the water spigot for flushing is not potable water.

The spigot itself can get contaminated by someone else's dirty gloves, etc. So if I were to use a regulator (which I don't for the blank tank flush), it would have to be saved for just flushing the black water system.

I would highly recommend keeping your fresh water system (including hose and regulator) isolated from your blank water duties. No desire to get E. coli or other germ from a cross contaminated spigot.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank