RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2020, 05:06 PM   #1

Angry Black Tank release way up under my trailer

I have a 2018 Forest River Heritage Glen Wildwood 272 RL. The grey tank releases are very convenient easy to close and open BUT the black tank is located almost 18" under the tailor so I had to get on the ground crawl under the trailer to release/close the Black tank valve. Answer....buy an extension to the rod which I did. It worked for one trip but now the release rod is bending and I can't close off the black tank enough to prevent leaking into the main release pipe.. Today when I took the cap off to attach my lines at the dump station, the line was already full of black tank stuff. I had a mess. Just glad I had a catch bucket under the pipe. Is there any good way to get the release handle in a more convenient location that is dependable to completely close the back tank valve. Love this camper but the guy who drew this part up should take a few trips with it. Rolling around on the ground at a dump station for a 73 year old with a prosthesis is not in keeping with the rest of this unit. Any suggestions ?
harman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #2

Cut the black drain pipe BEHIND the shut off valve. Place shut off valve to a more convenient location for you to reach the valve open/close lever. In the space you created between the shut off valve and where you made the cut, measure and cut to fit extra length of pvc pipe. Buy two "Fernco" rubber connections of the same diameter as the pipe. Place on each end of pipe and screw the fernco connections together and you're done. The rubber Fernco connectors are fine as your black tank drain is gravity fed, not pressurized. NOTE; If you intend to clear your black tank with an acid, ferncos will melt, because they are rubber. In that case, you will need pvc connections and pvc cement.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #3

relocating dump valve outward is a goof idea.....but use 3" coupler and section of 3" pipe to extend dump line.
Add a support strap to hold/stop bouncing

Rubber couplings always make me cringe.....come loose while traveling YIKES
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:42 AM   #4

I agree with the solution but I would use a solid pipe and glue like Old-Biscuit says.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #5

Get one of these to stop the surprise when trying to hook up your sewer hose

https://www.campingworld.com/twist-o...alves-fittings

They sell these at other places than Camping World
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:29 AM   #6

Thanks for the help

I appreciate the responses. Hadn't thought about relocating the valve and that seems to be a more permanent solution. I ordered a Valterra T58 yesterday from Canada. No US sources had any in inventory. I am giving that a try even though there are plenty of reviews that warn against these things leaking. One recommendation was to seal the T%* with RV silicone caulking which I will do.
harman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:59 PM   #7

You could install an electric valve.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the very first RV's we bought had a stupid location for the waste valves.

The very first thing I looked at when buying all the next several RV's was the waste tank valve location.

I'm sure that will be at the TOP of your list on the next RV.

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank