Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #1

Black Tank Valve on Minnie Winnabago

New to me, we are on road after buying 2201DS Minnie. Year 2018. The black tank valve not closing complete. When you open cap to connect hose, you guessed it you need a bucket. Anyone with this model can see the handles look as if they go into frame, Nd valve is in back above the cove under trailer. Looks as if cover has to be dropped to change. When pushing in handle stays out from frame about 1 and 1/2 inch. Not closing well. If anyone has run into this problem. Would appreciate hearing from you. Trailer 2 years old cNnot see the valve so cannot add anything at this time. We are on way home and will have to get fixed somewhere. Thanks
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #2

I kinda had a similar problem on my 5th Sunnybrook 5th wheel. I had to push extra hard to get the valve to close 100%. This was a few years ago. I read a post about lubing the rod that has the handle on it.

I would recommend lubing it with Fluid Film. Also I read that you should use dawn dishwashing liquid in your black tank.

I sold the 5th wheel and never did either of the things I mentioned.

There should be other people that can help with your issue.

Did you buy the trailer new and if so did the valve ever shut completely?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:22 PM   #3

Add another twist on gate to where the hose connects....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:53 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many have have been to the land of unexpected dumps. Me too. Some things

Possible issues and possible fixes:
1) gate valve has stuff, likely paper or other object, stuck in the gate opening.
Drain tank, remove the gate valve slider from the 3" black tank line. The valve is made from three parts, two frame pieces that connect to the pipe ends and a center valve. Kinda like a sandwich. Usually there are four little bolts that holds this assemblage together. By opening the assembly you can inspect for lodged objects. Then either clean it good or just replace the center piece.

2) Don't know if your valve is operated by a short rod or a long remote cable. Both can get stiff to operate. If you replace the valve for a rod type this problem is resolved. If its a long cable, then replace the cable.

3) To avoid unwanted dumps, I have a section of clear 3" twist on pipe right before the drain cap. This allows you to see if there's fluid waiting for you. Also nice when dumping to know the flow has stopped. These clear fittings twist on and come in straight, 45 and 90 degree bends.

4) Add a second 3" gate valve right before the drain cap. Use a twist on type. Even if you do have fluid waiting, you can get the hose on and avert any ground dumps.

5) may have large lumps of goo in the black tank. Some people do not use good practice in dumping their black water tank and as a result they may have large pile of residue in the tank. This can break off and clog the valve. If true might use a "trash" garden hose with the male end cut off and run it up the line to flush stuff out. Problem is catching the outflow while doing this. Don' ask....

Hope something here helps you out a bit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:05 AM   #5

Thanks Bob and Fred. Will give a try

Thanks for response
Old 05-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
TP or other solids have gotten in the way when you closed the valve and now are preventing the valve from sealing. I had that problem once and fixed it by using a spin on valve to fill the open valve with water and this allowed the debris to be softened and floated out when the added valve was opened. Leave the main black tank valve open while the spin on valve is closed, fill the tank with water and allow to sit for a few hours. Dump and repeat as necessary until it runs clean. Keep the spin on valve as a safety in case it happens again.

Now I am diligent about using the tank flusher and will never dump again without it. If I encounter a dump station without water for the flusher I wait for the next station.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #7

Please explain spin on valve
Old 05-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
Please explain spin on valve
I think he's talking about the same thing I called a twist on valve. Like this. It just attaches to where the dump hose normally goes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 11.20.27 AM.png
Views:	107
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	286767

The clear section I spoke about above goes right before this. On my rig I added an extra support strap to support the extra weight of the clear section and new valve.

In this picture you can also clearly see two of the four screws that I spoke about that hold the valve like a sandwich. You can replace just the center part of this assembly on the main valve for the black water tank.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-25-2020, 08:36 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you do need to flush your tank put the garden hose down the toilet rather than up the drain line. Safer, cleaner and more effective. I sure do love my tank flusher and try to never dump tanks without using it.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
If you do need to flush your tank put the garden hose down the toilet rather than up the drain line. Safer, cleaner and more effective. I sure do love my tank flusher and try to never dump tanks without using it.
After the top down approach fails to clear a plug you may not have many other options, experience.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
black tank, tank, valve