Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Another possibility. The fifth wheel next to me had a mobile repair guy out replacing his black tank. The repairman shared an interesting observation. He said he has replaced many tanks that had the cutout from the hole saw (used to create access) left in the tank after it dropped when cutting. It tells you a lot about the integrity of manufacturers today! This cutout could be preventing complete drainage. Just sharing. 😜
Lloydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 05:59 AM   #16

Resolution

Operation: Constipation mission success!

I dragged it through about 25 miles of rough county road, came back and dumped it and didn't think I'd done any good, but when I shined the light down the toilet I could see some tank bottom. I filled it, dumped it again and had a clean tank.

What I noticed then is that the pipe from the toilet extends down into the tank and comes within about 4" of the tank bottom. It's gotten me to conclude that:

I did have a teepee blocking the inlet into the tank
It doesn't take much to teepee this unit
I wasn't using enough water
I probably should wait to dump till I get home rather than at the camp ground.
If I ever have the toilet out for anyreason I'll shorten that down pipe.

If at square 1 I had just added water, then did the hot lap around the grounds, it probably would have took care of it there at the dump station.

Live and learn....
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #17

I've never seen a pipe go down into the tank more than the inlet adapter lets it. Sure your tank isn't that skinny?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #18

No, I'm not. Only way to know is to either pull the toilet or run a camera into the tank. I wouldn't think the tank is that skinny. It's below the floor between the frame rails and the entire trailer bottom is covered from front to back, so I can't see it's external dimensions. Being 45 Gallons capacity it would make for a really large width and lentgh if it's only 4" deep. It looks like a good 12" from the toilet valve to the bottom of the pipe in the tank, then only about 4" to tank bottom. These are just eyeball estimates, I haven't decided to throw away a perfectly good tape measure to get exact figures yet.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
No, I'm not. Only way to know is to either pull the toilet or run a camera into the tank. I wouldn't think the tank is that skinny. It's below the floor between the frame rails and the entire trailer bottom is covered from front to back, so I can't see it's external dimensions. Being 45 Gallons capacity it would make for a really large width and lentgh if it's only 4" deep. It looks like a good 12" from the toilet valve to the bottom of the pipe in the tank, then only about 4" to tank bottom. These are just eyeball estimates, I haven't decided to throw away a perfectly good tape measure to get exact figures yet.
My tank is tapered- it's about 4" deep on the toilet end and about 8" deep on the dump end.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #20

Try a keg of beer for a few days. Doesn't matter what brand...
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #21

Try this one your next trip out
1. Water softer ( calgon)
2. Dish washing detergent
3. I still drop on tablet in
4. Add more water than you use
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #22

Yeah, it's time to get jiggy with the ole' toilet wand. Physically break that up and fill the tank with water for a couple good flushes. Wear a face shield or at least eye protection.

I also agree strongly with what's been said. I put a substantial amount of water in the tank after every drain. These tanks are large but flat, so it takes 3-5 gallons to add just a couple inches of water in most cases. I also always make a long flush just to continue the process. I know the fear is filling the tank before you're done camping, but you can always throttle back when the tank is at least half full... or get yourself a "honeywagon".
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #23

Make sure you use lots of water when flushing. I only use RV paper ad make sure to hold the pedal down to get lots of water down there. I only dump when I am 3/4 or full. If I am breaking camp and am not full I full it with water. I also installed a tank tornado. I tornado the tank for about 10 minutes after dumping, sometimes twice. I usually get clear water after the tornado sessions. You would be surprised at the solids that came out the first few times I torando'ed the tank. I also have a clear elbow so I can see when the water runs clear and there are no more solid tidbits flushing out. After all that I then flush the grey tank. I also add some water after dumping. A dry black tank is bad in my opinion.
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #24

I usually just fill the black tank when I get to the RV park and let it sit for an hour then dump. Then I add a few tablets and about 10 gallons of water. When I break camp I dump then fill and dump again before leaving.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #25

liquid dish washing soap works wonders to alleviate the leftover problems in the black water tank. We use a few ounces of an inexpensive type any brand name will do from Dollar General at almost every flush, and always fill the tank up if not full with water before you dump. This insures a good flush action at the valve and through the hose. The soapy solution lubricates the rubber valve parts, and keeps anything from sticking to the sides of the tank, and takes care of most if not all odors. Its the perfect alternative to expensive chemicals. Doing this for about half of our 40 + years of RV'ing. So experience has been the best teacher for us on this issue.
DTW
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank