Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2021, 04:07 PM   #1

Blown fuses

Hello all,
I am new to this travel trailer world and just returned from our maiden voyage last weekend.
I know this question is quite elementary but I am learning so here it goes:
Should the battery stay connected at all times or should I disconnect it when not using or when connected to shore power?
We blew several fuses this past weekend and I can’t figure out why.

I purchased our (used) 2021 KZ Escape 191BHK
Three weeks ago from a private seller.

Also, any helpful tricks of the trade out there?
We have four more trips planned over the next two months.

Thank you!!!
Krista
Kmazzarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2021, 07:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmazzarella View Post
Hello all,
I am new to this travel trailer world and just returned from our maiden voyage last weekend.
I know this question is quite elementary but I am learning so here it goes:
Should the battery stay connected at all times or should I disconnect it when not using or when connected to shore power?

I purchased our (used) 2021 KZ Escape 191BHK
Three weeks ago from a private seller.

We have four more trips planned over the next two months.

Thank you!!!
Krista
What fuses did you blow?
OkieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:39 PM   #3

When connected to shore power the converter supplys the DC System AND maintains/charges the battery

No Shore Power...battery supplies the DC System

Disconnect ....use when storing the trailer

As asked.....What Fuses Blew????
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:47 AM   #4

The fuses that were blown were the interior lights, refrigerator and radio.
Kmazzarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:33 AM   #5

So basically 12 volt fuses? how about the water pump? did you use the water pump or were you hooked up to a water connection? Can you replace the fuses, leave the camper UNplugged from shore power, and then they won't blow? Just some points to start checking
Old 10-12-2021, 08:37 AM   #6

Don’t believe that it is possible to blow multiple fuses when using battery with no SP. Batteries normally don’t short. So, if the fuses blew all about the same time, the first place I would check is the charger/converter. This device not only charges the battery, but also “replaces” the battery as the source for all 12v current when it’s plugged into shore power. The second place I would check is the outlet you plugged shore power into. An over or under voltage condition could go through the converter and on to the fuses. If you were at an RV park the post you plugged into could be the culprit, which is not uncommon. If you’re not using a surge protector, it’s kinda like having unprotected sex with a stranger.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:36 AM   #7

Fuses blow due to HIGH Amps not high voltage

Low voltage can increase amp draws

When fuses blew were you connected to Shore power or Not??
Old 10-12-2021, 10:20 AM   #8

There are two basic ways to store a TT. They are "connected" and "disconnected". Each has its advantages.

Connected

Plug TT into shore power. Leave battery connected. Leave any disconnect switches "ON".

Disconnected

Always store lead acid batteries fully charged. Fully charged means 14 to 18 hours using the charger in your TT.
Fully recharge 14 hours again before battery terminal voltage drops to 12.4 volts. You can get an inexpensive digital voltmeter at your local hardware store for $15.

Fully charge and park the TT. Voltage may stay above 12.4 volts for one to two weeks. Use your new voltmeter to see how long your system will last.

There are two kinds of disconnect switches your TT may have. One is often near the entry door. The other is near the batteries.

The one near the entry door disconnects most, but not all 12 volt appliances. Your battery may stay above 12.4 volts for 2 or 3 weeks using the door switch (sometimes called a "salesmen switch".

The one near the battery may disconnect all 12 volt appliances. Starting with a full charge, your battery may stay above 12.4 volts for as much as 6 months. Check using your new voltmeter to see how long yours will last.

If you have no disconnect switches, you can disconnect the negative cable from the battery. It will work the same as having a battery disconnect switch. Your battery may stay above 12.4 volts for as much as 6 month.

We may be able to help you diagnose the blown fuse issue. You must supply more information.

Were you doing anything in particular when the fuse blew?
Any other relevant information?

There is much to learn about a house on wheels. You may learn a lot by reading threads on iRV2. Utube has endless videos on may RV subjects.

Feel free to post any questions or interests you have on iRV2.

These links are often helpful to new owners.

12 volt Side of Life part 1
http://marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

12 volt Side of Life part 2
http://marxrv.com/12volt/12volta.htm

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Fuses blow due to HIGH Amps not high voltage
OB,
My point was that since fuses are non-linear series devices, a low voltage condition (ie from a campground post) can cause a fuse to blow at rated amperage because the V=IR changes and T increases, which can result in arcing over temp. Been a long time since I took EE classes, am I wrong about this?
Old 10-12-2021, 11:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
OB,
My point was that since fuses are non-linear series devices, a low voltage condition (ie from a campground post) can cause a fuse to blow at rated amperage because the V=IR changes and T increases, which can result in arcing over temp. Been a long time since I took EE classes, am I wrong about this?
And the rest of of my post...

Fuses are DC and Low CG AC would only affect the Converter DC output......battery voltage would decrease if converter DC output was lower then battery voltage

Doublt the lights/fridge/radio fuses are blowing due to low DC Voltage causing high amp draw
Sounds more like a issue with the DC Fuse Panel

But OP needs to respond to questions....
Happens when on Shore Power or just on battery power?
Happens Instantly....or over time?
Happens to all three at same time etc?
Old 10-12-2021, 12:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
And the rest of of my post...

Fuses are DC and Low CG AC would only affect the Converter DC output......battery voltage would decrease if converter DC output was lower then battery voltage

Doublt the lights/fridge/radio fuses are blowing due to low DC Voltage causing high amp draw

Sounds more like a issue with the DC Fuse Panel

But OP needs to respond to questions....

Happens when on Shore Power or just on battery power?

Happens Instantly....or over time?

Happens to all three at same time etc?
You guys are both wrong. Amp draw gos up on inductive motors under load when volts drop. Volts do NOT go up with resistive loads.

Millions of RVers run their batteries down and not blow fuses. They get dim lights and slow pumps.

The converter has a voltage regulator that controls output voltage with input volage between 108 and 130 volts. Even with high volts, the bulbs would blow, not the fuses.

The fuse blowing short can't come from the battery. Fuses protect the wiring AFTER the fuse.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #12

If you have a slide, thats where I'd be looking around and under for wires caught up in the moving parts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:57 PM   #13

Could be a double voltage from an incorrectly wired receptacle, if I had a dollar for every 30 amp 125 volt receptacle that gets wired 240..........but with the very limited information the op has given, you have better odds with a lottery ticket in solving the problem.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:55 PM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If you have a slide, thats where I'd be looking around and under for wires caught up in the moving parts.

Tags
fuse, fuses