Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #57

Couple more worthwhile items:

Until you invest in an EMS, hook this up to a 30amp to 15amp dogbone to test your power source: https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...+outlet+tester

Once in a while, test a couple places on your camper chassis when plugged in with something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...1SEN/100661787

You’re looking for any possible leaking voltage. Don’t want to step on a ‘hot’ set of steps with bare feet.

Beyond that: a wine corkscrew ;-)
dj1100rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #58

Two more recommendations: gorilla tape and cable ties. The ties are priced well at HFT.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:01 PM   #59

One more useful tip: for leveling blocks, I carry several 2x8 pieces of wood. In the event of a flat tire, stagger 3 of those blocks up against the good tire. Pull or back the good wheel up onto those. With 4 1/2” of lift, you’ll not have to pull out a jack.

Of course, this only works with tandem axles like yours and mine. Saved me from a lot of sweating, twice now.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #60

My 2 Cents

People are going to give you all kinds of advice. Here is my two cents.

1. Get a real sewer hose
2. You need chocks and leveling blocks. I highly recommend Anderson levelers
3. Fresh water hose if the dealer didn't give you one
4. Get a jack and star lug wrench. I got a flat on my first distance tow. Thank God for good Samaritans.

Just about everything else is for convenience or comfort
wdgpcfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:25 PM   #61

Attend seminars at the trade shows for advice and information. Shop walmart, ebay and\or Amazon for as much of this stuff as you can. Get the most COMPLETE tool kit with a hammer that you can buy for probably around $100.00.

These recommendations are GREAT and accurate, but don't get overwhelmed. You will have plenty of time and opportunity to spend money.
wgjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
Wheel chocks if not provided by the dealer. You do not want it rolling away when you unhook from the TV.
This happens! I saw it myself at a campground a few years ago. The trailer only went about10 feet and then hit some trees. The owner forgot to chock the trailer tires before he unhitched.
FiddleMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:24 AM   #63

Congratulations. You will really enjoy.
Goco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #64

Maintain tires at proper air pressure. Get a quality air pressure gauge.
Know what speed your tires are rated for and don’t exceed it. Get a good torque wrench and check lug nuts for proper torque before each trip on your RV and tow vehicle.
tim-l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:29 PM   #65

Sink wrench can be very useful!
mrmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #66

Congrats. All of these posts are great suggestions. My suggestion is, once you get your basic stuff to tow the trailer and then pack it with stuff to camp and make meals, I suggest taking it camping somewhere close to home. Your driveway will work also. You will quickly figure out all of the stuff that you need and dont need.

When I got my first rv, I went overboard and bought a ton of stuff that I thought I needed. A good bit of that stuff I either returned after my first trip or it's still in the original package in my garage.
NDIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:13 PM   #67

new TT owner

First thing I bought when I got my first TT was a Progressive surge protector that has all the other scans on it. That saved my TT about 4 times with faulty electric posts at various campgrounds. Get a solar panel to charge your computer when boondocking. Make sure the roof has roof paint. Get a tire pressure monitor.
DONT SPEED. nothing over 60mph!
waterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:34 PM   #68

Thanks for the additional information, greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj1100rt View Post
]

Once in a while, test a couple places on your camper chassis when plugged in with something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...1SEN/100661787

You’re looking for any possible leaking voltage. Don’t want to step on a ‘hot’ set of steps with bare feet
What would cause current to run through metal in the TT? I ordered a multimeter yesterday, mainly to check the two batteries. I have a voltmeter. Curious what I'm checking, regarding the chassis, hot steps, etc. Thanks

Dan
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:32 AM   #69

Reverse polarity would cause that. It's when the power st the campground is wired up backwards
NDIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:47 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Thanks for the additional information, greatly appreciated.

What would cause current to run through metal in the TT? I ordered a multimeter yesterday, mainly to check the two batteries. I have a voltmeter. Curious what I'm checking, regarding the chassis, hot steps, etc. Thanks

Dan

My previous camper was all aluminum. I concerned myself that the whole beast could conduct if conditions were right. Mostly it’s the power posts at many sites that raised my awareness. You’ll find many that feel so loose and poorly maintained (sometimes duct taped) they’ll make you wonder. BTW, Progressive EMS is a smart purchase. Had one hard wired in that camper. It saved me some grief during a couple brown-outs in the Keys.