Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2021, 08:44 PM   #1

Bought a trailer and need help

I'm not sure if it was properly winterized. I bought it through an auction so it's always a crap shoot, it's a Coleman 262BH and the things I do know for sure was the anode on the hot water heater was off so that was drained, the 3 caps on the water lines were off. The grey tank and black tank had basically a trickle come out of them when I opened them. Today I decided to try and see if the pump worked.
For whatever reason I put my garden hose into the fresh water connection and put just a couple of gallons in it thinking maybe it needed some water to prime the pump. I then hooked it up the city water connection and turned it on. If the gauges are to be believed the fresh water tank is empty but when I turn on the various faucets they all work, I assume from the faucet water hose pressure. As soon as I turn the faucet off and try and run the pump it just runs loudly and never primes (Flojet self priming). It doesn't act like the water is actually filling anything in the trailer so my guess is a restriction somewhere? The screen going into the city connection was clean and I can push the spring loaded piece behind it and get a couple of gallons to spray out. I also noticed the toilet has a decent drip while the faucet is on, either the point of least resistance or just a leak that needs fixed?
Any ideas on how to get this pump primed and the tanks to hold some water?
HootJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2021, 09:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Often it can help prime if you open one of the drains close to the pump.
Good luck... you'll figure it out one thing at a time
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:47 PM   #3

You did not mention if you plugged the open holes. 2 of the holes under the coach are low point drains on the pressure side of the pump and the 3rd is the fresh tank drain. Also the anode rod hole will need to be plugged. Any of those 3 pressure side drains that are open will cause the pump to run. Also if the water heater is empty it is probably filling causing the pump to run and greatly reduce flow to any other fixture.

Cheers
Old 03-03-2021, 09:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunge motors View Post
You did not mention if you plugged the open holes. 2 of the holes under the coach are low point drains on the pressure side of the pump and the 3rd is the fresh tank drain. Also the anode rod hole will need to be plugged. Any of those 3 pressure side drains that are open will cause the pump to run. Also if the water heater is empty it is probably filling causing the pump to run and greatly reduce flow to any other fixture.

Cheers
They are all plugged with their caps, I also put the anode back in so it's plugged. I opened the relief valve on the hot water once out there just to see if it was filling and only heard a little air. For the length of time I let the water run and after I took those caps off to see how much water would come out it was very little, seems like the tanks aren't actually taking much water in, is it possible that my garden hose out to the city connection point doesn't have enough pressure? I don't have the best water pressure at my house but I would think it's enough.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:41 AM   #5

Are you just hooked up to city water side? Pump is used to run water from your fresh tank. If you are trying to run your pump to pump from your fresh tank and itís not priming their might be a winterization hose and valve to pump antifreeze in and that valve might not be switched back over.
rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:12 AM   #6

Or there might not be enough water in the fresh water tank. If you are off level the wrong way sometimes even a third of a tank is not enough for the pump to pick up. Add more water and try again.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rte1985 View Post
Are you just hooked up to city water side? Pump is used to run water from your fresh tank. If you are trying to run your pump to pump from your fresh tank and itís not priming their might be a winterization hose and valve to pump antifreeze in and that valve might not be switched back over.
I am, it has the adapter that fits a garden hose, isn't that where you fill your fresh water from? I can't see any other spots to put water into the trailer other then on the trailer door side with that fresh portable water connection, I can shove my hose in that side but it just sits there loosely. The pump sounds like it's underneath the floor in line with the oven, can't seem to find any way to access it.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:45 AM   #8

The fresh water tank fill does NOT have a threaded hose connection !!! It's gravity fill.
City water is threaded for a hose. Has NOTHING yo do with fresh tank.
Stick hose in opening, you may have to hold onto it, & fill fresh water tank.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
The fresh water tank fill does NOT have a threaded hose connection !!! It's gravity fill.
City water is threaded for a hose. Has NOTHING yo do with fresh tank.
Stick hose in opening, you may have to hold onto it, & fill fresh water tank.

Yeah I don't know how I messed that up, it primed after I put it in the right spot... the pressure relief valve on the hot water tank doesn't have any water come out of it though so it must have a valve off somewhere? The leak behind the toilet where the pex goes into toilet water supply fitting is enough to make the pump run every minute or two so I'll tear into that.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:24 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have to plug the water inlet or the pump will suck air through the open water inlet. There is a plug hanging in the wet bay for this purpose and to keep bugs and dust out while not connected to a hose.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootJenkins View Post
Yeah I don't know how I messed that up, it primed after I put it in the right spot... the pressure relief valve on the hot water tank doesn't have any water come out of it though so it must have a valve off somewhere? The leak behind the toilet where the pex goes into toilet water supply fitting is enough to make the pump run every minute or two so I'll tear into that.
Water heater will have bypass valves on the back side. You may need to remove a panel on the inside to get to it.
jrollf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #12

1st Trailer???

Basic RV Water System
*City water supplies RV Plumbing System
**Fresh water tank (when filled) and pump supply RV Plumbing System
(Pump will not run when connected to 'City Water' unless City Water pressure is LOW)

Water Heater Tank.....Cold Inlet on bottom/Bypass Valve between Cold-Hot lines/Hot Outlet (which may be a 'check valve' vs a shutoff valve)

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:44 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Do you have a tank fill valve?

Tags
need help, trailer