Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Yes math is require. Rules of thumb are great to get started, but in the end, it is a lot of money to have to go back and start over.
Check out this thread for a way to estimate compatible combinations.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/newbi...ml#post4850738

Thank you! That helps me a lot. So I will use the GVWR from the trailer (6700 lbs) and estimate a 15% tongue weight of 1000 lbs. max.

So I need a TV that can handle a rear axle load of:

1000 TT hitch
200 cargo
40 WDH
----
1240 lbs.

The TV also must be able to handle a GCWR of:
6700 Trailer
400 Driver and passenger
200 cargo
40 WDH
----

7350 + ??? Truck weight

I've been looking at this page for towing capacities (looking at 2015 model TVs to save some money), but they don't tell you the GCWR or the rear axle load rating, which appears to be essential:

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/traile...wGuide2015.pdf

So I'm looking at a pretty large truck then.... maybe settle for a large crew cab p/u rather than a large SUV?
cassb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2019, 09:56 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Yes math is require. Rules of thumb are great to get started, but in the end, it is a lot of money to have to go back and start over.
Check out this thread for a way to estimate compatible combinations.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/newbi...ml#post4850738

There is great info at the link you shared, thanks!
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post
I like the shared dining/recliner space. I think stand alone dinettes are a waste of space that could be combined with comfortable seating like this model does.
My husband and I were just talking about this and we both prefer a dinette. Which is why there are so many models/floor plans/options.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
There is great info at the link you shared, thanks!

Here's another great site I found about RV safety, and the video on this page explains all the terminology about GVWR, GCWR, GAWR and how they apply to choosing the correct truck and trailer combo.

https://rvsafety.com/rv-education/ma...ks-to-trailers
Old 07-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Boy Scouts...

You might want to think about this, "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" Alternatively, "Happy wife, happy life!" Sounds trite, but oh so true.
tebeall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebeall View Post
You might want to think about this, "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" Alternatively, "Happy wife, happy life!" Sounds trite, but oh so true.

You got that right! :-)

I have a few threads going on this current camper project. So in other threads I have found that most people tow this Imagine 2150RB we bought with a 1/2 ton truck. Some have suggested a 3/4 ton would be better, but I'm thinking that's overkill. 1/2 ton will certainly pull this camper easily, but I am worried about payload. By my estimate, I need a 1/2 ton with a payload > 1600. Not sure if I'll be able to find that in the used market.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:03 PM   #49

Be careful with RAMs, as their 1/2 tons can be well less than 1,600 lb payload and even down to below 1,300 lbs. And that is the yellow sticker on the door jamb. Actual vehicle weight can be higher resulting in even lower actual available payload.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:07 AM   #50

There will be a lot of trucks without 1,600 cargo capacity. There will also be a lot of trucks with 1,600 lb cargo capacity. You will want trucks with the optional Trailer towing packages.

I am thinking your average 1/2 ton truck has a cargo capacity of around 1,400 lbs. Trucks with the manufactures towing package I think bumps the cargo capacity to around 1,700lbs.

If looking for used trucks I would look at 2015 or newer F-150's. The ones with tow packages will have a larger 34 gallon fuel tank and either the 3.5 Eco-Boost or 5.0 litre engines. Chevy's will have the 6.2 LS engine. I am thinking both these trucks will have a cargo capacity in the 1,800's.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebeall View Post
Too funny. The salesman at an RV dealership told my husband yesterday that when looking for a TT, it's 10% what the husband wants and 90% what the wife wants. My husband already nixed a rear kitchen so it's all me from here on out.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
There will be a lot of trucks without 1,600 cargo capacity. There will also be a lot of trucks with 1,600 lb cargo capacity. You will want trucks with the optional Trailer towing packages.

I am thinking your average 1/2 ton truck has a cargo capacity of around 1,400 lbs. Trucks with the manufactures towing package I think bumps the cargo capacity to around 1,700lbs.

If looking for used trucks I would look at 2015 or newer F-150's. The ones with tow packages will have a larger 34 gallon fuel tank and either the 3.5 Eco-Boost or 5.0 litre engines. Chevy's will have the 6.2 LS engine. I am thinking both these trucks will have a cargo capacity in the 1,800's.

Yes, I have pretty much narrowed it down to 2016-2017 Silverado 1500s. The Fords seem to be overpriced and I have read the Chevy's are more comfortable of a daily driver. The 6.2L V-8 is hard to come by, as is the 8-speed transmission. I may go through Auction Direct here and see if they can find one for me on the used market and bring it in.

US News and World Report has a great web site dedicated to commentary and ratings on used and new pickup trucks. The comments and comparisons on this site are very helpful! This is the 2017 Silverado page, but you can look up other models.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...rado-1500/2017
Old 07-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #53
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Congratulations on your new to you camper. Nice layout for your first TT.

You will never regret a longer wheelbase crew cab truck. They are dang fancy inside since 2000.

Drive a Ford and a Chevy. Take both up the same steep hill as part of your evaluation process.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
Congratulations on your new to you camper. Nice layout for your first TT.

You will never regret a longer wheelbase crew cab truck. They are dang fancy inside since 2000.

Drive a Ford and a Chevy. Take both up the same steep hill as part of your evaluation process.

Thanks! That would be nice to hook up a trailer to both brands and find a hilll to climb with it, but probably not going to happen. I'll have to rely on specs and on other owners. I've found several on a Grand Design Owners forum and almost all of them pull this trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup -- mostly Silverado 1500s. That's a good data point!
Old 07-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #55

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Went from a 4 man complicated set up tent to a 35’ class A. No stops in between, just a 10 year break from camping when the kids were teens (we all know how they are in high school!). Now with an empty nest plus being 60-ish the idea of “glamping” sounded great. Buy used. Buy from a private owner, but make sure it was professionaly inspected and you have the report in hand to view. Take a friend along who already has a trailer to help inspect it. Have a list of what you want in a RV or trailer, check out several before you start getting serious about buying one you find. Don’t be hard fast insistent on “it must have” all these certain items, be flexabile and realize some items can be added or upgraded later. Or you can just do without. Take your time. Good luck.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchemie View Post
Went from a 4 man complicated set up tent to a 35’ class A. No stops in between, just a 10 year break from camping when the kids were teens (we all know how they are in high school!). Now with an empty nest plus being 60-ish the idea of “glamping” sounded great. Buy used. Buy from a private owner, but make sure it was professionaly inspected and you have the report in hand to view. Take a friend along who already has a trailer to help inspect it. Have a list of what you want in a RV or trailer, check out several before you start getting serious about buying one you find. Don’t be hard fast insistent on “it must have” all these certain items, be flexabile and realize some items can be added or upgraded later. Or you can just do without. Take your time. Good luck.

Thanks! I actually bought a used 2017 2150RB and will soon be buying a used 2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L 8-speed to pull it. Wish me luck!

Tags
camping