Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2021, 01:39 PM   #15

One more vote against it.
1. I like mechanical connections for my brakes. Like hydraulic lines, wires, air lines. Wireless seems less reliable.
2. What if you need to tap the button and phone is in GPS or on a call or something else?
3. What if the cell battery dies?

There are occasions to tap the manual button. Like every time I reconnect and take off. A quick tap on the manual control tells me all is good. And while I have not experienced it if there is a sudden sway of the trailer this is the way to stop it.
The controller box is not that big of a deal on the dash, to me it is a security thing that the trailer brakes are connected and working.
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2CAMP View Post
One more vote against it.
1. I like mechanical connections for my brakes. Like hydraulic lines, wires, air lines. Wireless seems less reliable.
2. What if you need to tap the button and phone is in GPS or on a call or something else?
3. What if the cell battery dies?

There are occasions to tap the manual button. Like every time I reconnect and take off. A quick tap on the manual control tells me all is good. And while I have not experienced it if there is a sudden sway of the trailer this is the way to stop it.
The controller box is not that big of a deal on the dash, to me it is a security thing that the trailer brakes are connected and working.
It doesn't need the cell phone to work, only for initial setup.
Its your dash controller out by the hitch.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Take your Foot off the gas and let it slow down, when swaying. Don't be groping for a brake lever on the controller.

Then fix it so it doesn't sway.
OK. I've been towing everything from boats, popups up 120" long semi loads and I guess I still don't know anything. thank you for enlightening me.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:07 PM   #18

Grand Design Owners Club
I have now owned both the Curt Echo wireless and the REDARC Tow-Pro. The REDARC wins out. The comments by the experienced RVs on the site are spot on regarding the down sides of the cell phone. After first using the Curt Echo, which worked great, we did find that it was cumbersome if not an obstacle to have the "manual" override emergency button on the phone. After using the REDARC and having the button for manual override in a consistent local and always ready, we are sold that this is a preferable system. The REDARC button also looks great installed.
Chipmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #19

Ok now I have to say it again... a brake controller is the simplest thing of all things added to the wiring system of any truck... that is why they are standard on all towing pickups. I don't know anything about this cell phone brake controller but that sounds like an expensive reinvention of the wheel that I would never want to risk not working for any reason.

That said I just went to a buddy of mine that owns a truck accessories shop and he put in a curt triflex. It was plug and play with the harness, and I just set it between seat and center console and it worked great to stop the trailer. I was even surprised it locked trailer wheels at 15mph or so when testing it out.

I traded to a dually truck though so if anyone wants it PM me, it works great but may need correct wiring harness for your vehicle.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmaker View Post
I have now owned both the Curt Echo wireless and the REDARC Tow-Pro. The REDARC wins out. The comments by the experienced RVs on the site are spot on regarding the down sides of the cell phone. After first using the Curt Echo, which worked great, we did find that it was cumbersome if not an obstacle to have the "manual" override emergency button on the phone. After using the REDARC and having the button for manual override in a consistent local and always ready, we are sold that this is a preferable system. The REDARC button also looks great installed.
Than you everyone for the quote. It’s funny, I just went in to local store yesterday and ordered the Echo. Then this morning the last three responses to my question show up on my notification. I’ll post a review of the Echo once I use it. (My TT is due to be delivered April)

If it doesn’t work as I had hoped I think I might go with the REDARC Tow Pro.
Randyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:30 AM   #21

Grand Design Owners Club
Only one phone

One additional down side to the Curt Echo... you can only have one phone paired to it. So that phone always has to be on dash ready for manual. This was inconvenient when I was the passenger and not driving and wanted to use my phone for other activities.
Chipmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:43 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Manual control of the brake controler should light up the brakes of a new controler. I had the same controller "IQ" it was maybe the first or seond year of production manual controlling the brakes did not light the brakes lights. In about 2017 or so it became defective the Company sent me a new controler. The tech told me in the last few years DOT mandates the brake lights to be applied when manual applying the brakes. Sure enough they lite up.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Backing up, I have used brake controllers for years. Always read about backing up and that they might apply the brakes. Never had it happen. I assume under some circumstance it will happen? But I never had it happen. If it did I would disconnect the cable
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:48 AM   #24

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Take your Foot off the gas and let it slow down, when swaying. Don't be groping for a brake lever on the controller.

Then fix it so it doesn't sway.
I’m in the twinboat camp on this one, the fastest way to get in to trouble with a swaying trailer is to start grabbing trailer brake applicators. I know that’s what many of you have done for years with no issue. You just haven’t encountered good things going bad all at once yet.
Let of the throttle, slow down and drive the rig, the tail is wagging the dog every time your towing.
Apologies to the OP, just can not resist hopefully correcting bad information because there are to many new TT RV’ers.

Tags
brake