Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2022, 10:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post
Running AC off the batteries for the 1st day is easy. Charging the battery bank for the 2nd day is the hard part. I'll run AC while dry camping but I have 2,300w of solar.

The solar systems on both trailers will need to be replaced so you may as well not bother getting it.

I'd also consider the size of the trailer and amount of power needed to cool it.

Reflective window coating helps as does a reflective layer inside the roof.

Edit: Check out the Everlanders channel on YouTube...Solar Powerd Mini Split Air Conditioner Tour

I will check it out, but what do you mean it will need to be replaced? after how many years?
ChrispyjCSLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2022, 10:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I really think you should consider buying a little 1,000 watt Honda Generator just to do what you want to do. Just to keep the battery topped off. The 1,000 watt Honda Generator won't use much fuel. I think you do need a little generator.
I plan to get a generator as back up.. I was told to at least get a 3500, why do you suggest 1K?
Old 09-30-2022, 05:34 AM   #31

The only reason you may want a 3500 is to be able to run the A/C without installing a soft start device on it. Seems like a huge waste to me. You can buy a smaller generator, that will do the job, burn 30% less fuel, will be half the weight, and will cost half as much to purchase. The easy start device costs about $250. A 1k won’t run the A/C even with easy start, but a 2k or larger will. Not much difference in price, weight, or fuel consumption. Also, one day you’ll get real tired of lifting that 100lb 3500w generator and schlepping it around
Old 09-30-2022, 01:47 PM   #32

I was thinking of a low hassle generator like the 1,000 watt Honda. Easy to carry and easy on gasoline to top off the batteries.

You can not run the A/C on a 1000 watt generator.

If you are going to buy a 3,500 watt generator that will run the A/C plus top off the batteries at the same time. But it will be heavy and use more gasoline.

Again I was only suggesting a little 1,000 watt generator to top off the batteries. Your 3,500 watt generator is better.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
The only reason you may want a 3500 is to be able to run the A/C without installing a soft start device on it. Seems like a huge waste to me. You can buy a smaller generator, that will do the job, burn 30% less fuel, will be half the weight, and will cost half as much to purchase. The easy start device costs about $250. A 1k won’t run the A/C even with easy start, but a 2k or larger will. Not much difference in price, weight, or fuel consumption. Also, one day you’ll get real tired of lifting that 100lb 3500w generator and schlepping it around
gotcha. thats what I would like to do.. is run the AC and charge the batts.. I'm still looking into the max type solar pkg that can run off batts then use the generator as back up
Old 10-03-2022, 09:41 AM   #34

I have a 1k and a 3k generator (both Honda EU's) and the 1k is a bit of a waste IMO. I like the 3k, especially it's ability to run for 8-10 hrs on a tank of fuel while running the AC but it is heavy and was expensive. I wouldn't buy anything smaller than an EU2200 myself unless you had an RV without AC.

Dave
Old 10-05-2022, 05:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I have a 1k and a 3k generator (both Honda EU's) and the 1k is a bit of a waste IMO. I like the 3k, especially it's ability to run for 8-10 hrs on a tank of fuel while running the AC but it is heavy and was expensive. I wouldn't buy anything smaller than an EU2200 myself unless you had an RV without AC.

Dave
I will look into it.. I like honda products as the engine on my pressure washer is a honda.. beena true work horse..

do you have any other brand suggestions?
Old 10-06-2022, 07:04 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrispyjCSLT View Post
I will look into it.. I like honda products as the engine on my pressure washer is a honda.. beena true work horse..

We’ve had very good service from our Champion 2500w dual fuel for the past two years. It’s not as quite as quiet as a Honda, but more quiet than most brands. It’s 10 lbs lighter than the EU2200, and is half the price. It runs propane without modification. We run it exclusively on propane to avoid the hassle of gasoline, don’t have to worry about the carburetor when it’s in storage. And it runs our Easy Start modified A/C. Couldn’t be happier.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:43 AM   #37

OP, I'm not sure your desires coincide with RV reality. RV's don't cool down a whole bunch in 45 minutes or so. We've found it takes a few hours to go down 15˚ inside and a 15˚ temp reduction is about all we get. You are looking at a much smaller rig than we are experienced with so it should react a bit faster and may get cooler but odds are neither TT is really well insulated so the cold air will escape faster as well. You might want to rent a comparable size TT for a night and go to a full service campground. Try using it the way you imagine and see how well it works for you. I really don't think you can get either solar package to run your A/C in such a way as to do what you want. As far as generators go, Honda has positioned itself as the top dog. But there are a bunch of inverter gennys that will do the same thing at about the same weight for almost the same noise for a whole lot less money. If you plan to be off the grid for and run the genny for an extended time, you need a gas genny. Propane is much cleaner but also does not store as much energy as gas does. It also costs more to use per KW of electricity generated.

I understand your desires but really think you need to put them on the shelf until you get some real world experience. What is the cost difference between the stripped TT and the off grid package? I'm guessing you can add a simple DIY expandable solar system and the generator of your choice for less money than the price difference. If you find your desires are workable, add to your system until you get to where it works as you desire. Plus you will gain lots of knowledge on how RVs and solar work together as well as their limitations. As to which RV, get the one with the floor plan that works best for you. You will always be limited by the floor plan but can change the solar array as needed.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:49 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrispyjCSLT View Post

There are lots of brands to chose from but I've stuck with Honda's; they are expensive but they are the quietest and most reliable generators available IMO and that is what matters to me. I have friends that have Yamahas and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those either.

Dave
Old 10-06-2022, 09:53 AM   #39

Quote:
We’ve had very good service from our Champion 2500w dual fuel for the past two years. It’s not as quite as quiet as a Honda, but more quiet than most brands. It’s 10 lbs lighter than the EU2200, and is half the price. It runs propane without modification. We run it exclusively on propane to avoid the hassle of gasoline, don’t have to worry about the carburetor when it’s in storage. And it runs our Easy Start modified A/C. Couldn’t be happier.
We have a Champion with the remote start, i wouldn't have it any other way. wife can start from inside in the morning and not have to go out in the cold or rain to pull a rope. do some research on the soft starts or easy starts. you can build one for about 30.00 https://www.ebay.com/itm/12407450424...jdTefw%2FGi3XG also be aware SOME gens in the 2000-2500 range won't start SOME AC's.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:26 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
We have a Champion with the remote start, i wouldn't have it any other way. wife can start from inside in the morning and not have to go out in the cold or rain to pull a rope. do some research on the soft starts or easy starts. you can build one for about 30.00 https://www.ebay.com/itm/12407450424...jdTefw%2FGi3XG also be aware SOME gens in the 2000-2500 range won't start SOME AC's.
Jay D.
How do you exhaust it if it’s not out in the rain? Do you leave it in the truck bed with a cover over it? Or do you run it while it’s out in the rain?
Old 10-08-2022, 12:42 PM   #41

Quote:
How do you exhaust it if it’s not out in the rain? Do you leave it in the truck bed with a cover over it? Or do you run it while it’s out in the rain?
gen sets on the rear bumper of my RV. if the wife wants to make coffee in the morning all she has to do is push the button on the remote and it starts rain or shine. it exhaust out the muffler pipe, no going outside if its nasty out.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 01:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
OP, I'm not sure your desires coincide with RV reality. RV's don't cool down a whole bunch in 45 minutes or so. We've found it takes a few hours to go down 15˚ inside and a 15˚ temp reduction is about all we get. You are looking at a much smaller rig than we are experienced with so it should react a bit faster and may get cooler but odds are neither TT is really well insulated so the cold air will escape faster as well. You might want to rent a comparable size TT for a night and go to a full service campground. Try using it the way you imagine and see how well it works for you. I really don't think you can get either solar package to run your A/C in such a way as to do what you want. As far as generators go, Honda has positioned itself as the top dog. But there are a bunch of inverter gennys that will do the same thing at about the same weight for almost the same noise for a whole lot less money. If you plan to be off the grid for and run the genny for an extended time, you need a gas genny. Propane is much cleaner but also does not store as much energy as gas does. It also costs more to use per KW of electricity generated.

I understand your desires but really think you need to put them on the shelf until you get some real world experience. What is the cost difference between the stripped TT and the off grid package? I'm guessing you can add a simple DIY expandable solar system and the generator of your choice for less money than the price difference. If you find your desires are workable, add to your system until you get to where it works as you desire. Plus you will gain lots of knowledge on how RVs and solar work together as well as their limitations. As to which RV, get the one with the floor plan that works best for you. You will always be limited by the floor plan but can change the solar array as needed.
I don't expect to run the AC over night non stop, but at least for an hour or 2.. also even if I don't run it all night, I think a single 12v acid base batt will drain quicker over night with just my CPAP machine vs the setup I'm looking to get..