Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2021, 03:40 PM   #29

Agree with Roy-c, it's not just tongue weight that is going to be a problem but that length! Short wheelbase SUV, trailer over 30 feet - "tail wagging the dog".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2021, 11:37 PM   #30

This will be your first, and hopefully not your last RV. I would not worry about the light weight models being a problem. You are not living full time in it, and for short and extended trips a light weight will do just fine. If you keep it covered or under shelter when not in use, it will last a long time with ordinary maintenance, sealing, etc.

Not sure what kind if work from the road you will be doing, but it sounds like a laptop and shuffling some papers. Nothing that a folding table won't do for. With a 7 and one year olds, the bunks are a place for them to live and play, its not just a place to sleep. The Micro Minnie 2306BHS gives you most of what you need in a rather light 6000 lb trailer, 25 ft 8 in long.

Charles
Old 01-12-2021, 04:47 PM   #31

Grand Design Owners Club
The pessimists' predictions came true - we went big. We picked up a Grand Design 2800BH to be towed with the Expedition via a ProPride. I also got a Sherline scale so I will know my actual tongue weight.

If folks are interested, I can post updates on tow performance as we use the rig.
Shyft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyft View Post
The pessimists' predictions came true - we went big. We picked up a Grand Design 2800BH to be towed with the Expedition via a ProPride. I also got a Sherline scale so I will know my actual tongue weight.

If folks are interested, I can post updates on tow performance as we use the rig.
Congratulations. Sure that would be great.

I saw an Expedition towing that size trailer on the Freeway Saturday. It was fairly windy so I followed it for a while to see how it handled being passed by trucks etc. It was rock solid, it didn't appear to be down shifting and it was traveling 65-70. I'm in California so people were passing him like he was sitting still.
Av8Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #33

Quote:
  1. Am I way off base on brands? Should I expand to look at more?
  2. Am I wrong to focus on fiberglass?
  3. Can anyone recommend a good RV inspector in the Orlando area?
  4. What is the consensus on buying from an individual rather than a dealer?
  5. I've been told "superlight" models are structurally inferior. Should I avoid them?
  6. Are extended warranties available like there are for cars? Are they worth it?
  7. Can/Should I pick up a weight-distributing hitch from the dealer, or find one separately?
  8. Are there checklists of things to look for on specific brands? General checklists for all brands? The internet has been a great resource, but I haven't found anything consolidated.
  9. I have been warned that quality on 2020 and 2021 models has declined due to increased production. Should we continue to avoid new trailers?
  10. Being in Florida, water intrusion is a huge concern. Any advice?

1. I have a FR Flagstaff Superlite. We have pulled it close to 40K miles and the only major issues we have experienced have been self induced. FWIW, I picked FR after having a very negative run in with a regional sales manager from Grand Design. Also, I think, the GD line has been sold to one of the bigger manufacturers. I think I've seen negative comments from people buying after the sale. I follow several forums and it's my opinion that all brands have issues. Take a look at the Airstream forum for example...
2. Fiberglass and aluminum both have their advantages and disadvantages. I have fiberglass and am happy with it.
3. Sorry...
4. There are some benefits to both, probably lower cost from an individual, a quality dealer may have fixed any existing problems and you may get a bit of priority if you use the dealer for service. Your interest in a third party inspector would have me leaning to private seller.

5. See #1. However if you are going to do serious boon-docking and traveling down logging roads, etc, then I would definitely avoid the Super/Ultralights. They are fine for mostly paved roads and will save you some $ on fuel costs. Going with the heavier frames may require you to get a different tow vehicle due to weights.
6. They are, most discussions I've seen lean toward avoiding them though. Most require that you have the dealer do an expensive inspection annually. If you are handy, many issues can be DIY jobs.
7 Depends on what hitch you decide on. I pull with a Propride. I think they are the most stable hitch available, however they are also the most expensive, but can be acquired used. The used are from folks moving from a towable to a 5ver, class A-C, or getting out of RVing all together. There is a bit of learning curve on how to easily hitch/unhitch. Took me about 3 trips. Otherwise, they tend to move them from one trailer to another as they decide to change. They are also about the easiest to "dial in". With that said, there are lots of folks using the Equalizer, Blue Ox, etc. ~$800 hitches successfully in the weight class I think you are looking at. Various dealer have made deals with specific brands so they will push the one they carry. Propride and the similar Hensley aren't carried for the most part and would be purchase on your own (I did).
8. Probably best to get on a forum for the brand you are looking at for this. I know that the FR forum has sections for specific lines. Though recognize that many of the parts (fridge, stove, electrical, water heater, etc. are all from just a few manufacturers, so there is next to no difference from one manufacturer on this stuff. Any warranty work on this stuff will get referred to the part manufacturer.
9. Volume production issues have been rife in the RV industry for years. Most production line workers get paid based on the number of units produced per day and have for many years. My read is that new issues from this past year have been more related to supply chain issues. One benefit of a FR product, in the first two years of ownership, if you attend their annual international rally in Goshen, they will have factory personnel repair issues during the rally at no cost. See the FR owners website for details.
10. Maxair vent covers are invaluable, allowing you to keep the vent open even in a rain storm. Keep up on inspections of your seals. Check out discussions on the use of Eternabond.

Good luck on your decisions.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:37 PM   #34

Brand Spanking Newbie TT

Shyft, congratulations. Please weigh the tongue load before you put anything into your new TT. Would be an interesting comparison to published tongue weight. Plus, what installed options do you have and what UVW weight does your TT sticker say? Are there any dealer-installed options. At 6,200-lbs “dry”, you are several hundred pounds over and at least a few feet longer than what I would have been shopping for. Do you have the extended length Expedition?
Old 01-12-2021, 07:47 PM   #35

Congratulations! Enjoy the journey.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:28 PM   #36

Quote:

You're going to love that hitch!
JayBauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:09 AM   #37

Quote:

Congrats on the purchase! I'm even more of a newb than you!

I saw you are in Central FL. Did you buy it at La Mesa in Sanford?
sprocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:37 PM   #38

Lance 2375-very nice trailer

I purchased a New Lance trailer in 2019. Was very happy with it, and did have a very good dealer. Very few warranty issues but never over a week to get it back. Not sure what you have for dealers in your area. You should be able to find some used ones in the south east US. They do cost more than Jayco etc. but are much nicer build. Even Airstreams have many issues. Besides price, thats another reason to buy 1 or 2 yr old if possible. Most bugs will have been taken care of. They all seem to use the same brand appliances, AC, furnace etc. Do not waste money on extended warranty, service plans. Put that money in a coffee can, bury it. Use only on needed repairs. You will almost always be ahead, providing your dealing with reputable dealers doing your repairs. Check with other RV’rs in your area. Last but not least, stay away from RVOne or Camping World if you expect any kind of service.
Gforceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:52 PM   #39

With that tow vehicle, I think you should look for ORV mountain series travel trailers. You'll probably have to hunt for them, as they are usually found in the west cause that's where they're made and live. Good luck.
BudMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:01 AM   #40

For our toy-hauler, I converted a commercial chassis with a GVWR of 12,200#.

Why does this work for us?
* We needed the reliability of 'million-mile' commercial components.
* Our interior is modular... we traipse remote forests and Baja beaches -- boondocking exclusively -- so we modify our rig to fit our venues.
* We choose ground-clearance to pass over boulders and stumps.
And our rig constantly evolves!

According to your Requirements Statement, a factory RecreationVehicle could fill your needs.

My suggestion:
* avoid believing 'this rig is our final forever rig'.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:05 AM   #41

A four Expedition owner here. I love them. You might want to spend a little more time studying about the capacity of your tow vehicle before you even consider a camper purchase. In my opinion you are giving too much weight to the manufacturers tow rating for that vehicle. Those numbers at best work for a flatbed hauling a load not much higher than the roof of the car. You're now talking about pulling essentially a sailboat, full sails deployed. I would say 6000 lb would be an absolute maximum for a travel trailer that's going to be 10 or 12 feet high. Whatever you get, figure the tongue weight, which must be subtracted from your 1700 lb payload, is going to be 12 to 15% of the loaded weight of your camper. On top of that you'll need to figure in the weight of your weight distribution hitch. And unless you want to leave some of the kids at home as they grow, you're going to be exceeding 1700# in a hurry. lol this sounds an awful lot like the thousands of how much trailer can I pull with my half-ton pickup threads. The good news is that you have not purchased anything yet. Take your folks as advice, work on this forum and others and concentrate on learning what your vehicle can safely pull. Don't get caught up in speeds, lots of little engines will pull big things at 65 or 75 miles an hour. But this isn't NASCAR. You've got a family and I'm sure their safety is Paramount in your mind. So do a lot more research before a purchase and I think you'll come to the conclusion that 8000 lb is too much for that tow vehicle. That's up to 3/4 ton territory in my not-so-humble opinion. I know many if not most disagreed, but we all have to make our own decisions. I'm sure you will make a good one.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #42

Grand Design Owners Club
We picked up the rig yesterday, and we're on our first camping trip today. To reiterate, we have a Grand Design 2800BH towed by a Ford Expedition (with the tow package) with a ProPride hitch.

The first tow experience from the dealership was uneventful. The weight on the tongue jack was 740 lbs with full fresh water tanks, full LP tanks, and the hitch installed. I could definitely feel the trailer was there, but there was no sway while traveling down I-4 at speeds up to 60mph. I did get a bit of porpoising through construction zones. It makes me wonder how this combination would handle the rougher roads up north.

The next day we left for our first trip. We loaded the trailer with our gear and dumped the fresh water tank. I didn't have a floor jack so I couldn't check the tongue weight, but both vehicles sat about the same.

We have a longer trip with a couple of hours of highway driving later this week. We'll see how it goes!
Shyft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags