Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2023, 10:20 AM   #1

Unhappy Buckling on front cap-what to do?

We have this buckling around the lights on our 2021 trailer, the dealer wants to take off the cap and put shims underneath (this is what the manufacturer authorized) to see if this will work before a full front replacement.
Has anyone had this problem, and did shims fix it? We are really going back and forth on this. I am nervous it's going to make it worse. Thoughts please.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	394247  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2023, 11:37 AM   #2

It's hard to tell much from the picture, but "buckling" usually means delamination, most often caused by water intrusion. I would be more worried about a water leak causing that. I've certainly never heard of using shims to fix anything like that. I would inspect your caulking very carefully, and get a second opinion ASAP.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:24 PM   #3

I had to remove the window in my curved cap due to a water leak. I got a chance to look at the construction, it was a 2x2 frame with a thin skin on the inner and outer surface. This was different than the laminated construction (outer skin, Styrofoam, inner skin) used on the side walls. I could see someone removing the inner skin, adding more framing, stapling the outer skin to the new bracing, and then re-installing the inner skin. I replaced some framing and glued it to the inner and outer skins with epoxy.
Tom
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 02:42 AM   #4

(this is what the manufacturer authorized)

Is the trailer under warranty?
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 08:12 PM   #5

Tell them you want will want to inspect the siding and framework after they get it disassembled and before any repairs are done.
Get it in writing.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:31 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Tell them you want will want to inspect the siding and framework after they get it disassembled and before any repairs are done.
Get it in writing.
Damn Straight...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 08:58 PM   #7

Agree, these curved walls are not a laminated wall that’s found on the side walls.

They are formed with slats that have foam board and frame work that run horizontal. The fiberglass has a Luan backing and is floating over the top.

If it’s solid and doesn’t have any give, I wouldn’t worry about it. Probably just cosmetic from over torquing those screws.

Agree with you, I’d be worried you could end up with more issues than what you have now.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 02:13 AM   #8

This is the second time I read about this kinda thing on this forum. So it does happen with the thin front cap.

From the picture I can not tell if it is delamination or thin construction. Either way it needs fixed.

I like the idea of getting it in writing that you want to see the construct when the dealer gets is apart.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 01:45 PM   #9

Okay, thank you-we'll get it in writing and make sure it's done right either way.
Old 06-10-2023, 11:56 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No cap there

That, sir/ma’am is not a cap. A “cap” is typically a 1 piece fiberglass structure that extends from the roof all the way to the bottom front and wraps around the sides to enclose the entire front of the rig. They are immune to delam because the are not laminated to begin with.
You may have a leak causing delamination.

Tags
front cap