Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #1

Bunk beds with toddlers.

Parents, we have queen bunk beds in the rear of our TT. What is everyone using for gates so children do not fall in the middle of the night. Thanks
rxrodr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You could let the kids have the bottom bunk and you take the top. You could also use a net hammock to keep them in the bed.

Amazon.com: EarlyBirdSavings Nylon Meshy Rope Hammock Sleeping Net Bed For Hiking Camping Outdoor Sports: Sports & Outdoors

Also putting up rails like bunk beds in a home would work, if the toddlers won't climb out. Using the net, be sure it is open at the ladder so the kids aren't caged in the bunk in an emergency.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #3

not sure how old your toddler is, or what their sleeping arrangement is at home. does he/she sleep in a toddler bed at home?

Our son is just under two and he sleeps in the bottom bunk, it goes in fairly deep so he in between walls for the most part. One neat trick is to put a pool noodle under the sheet on the outside edge of the mattress and it will help him to know where the edge is or give him a sense of edge so he wont roll out, we did that at first but don't do it anymore.

You could also try as someone set a net or if you get creative use just a pressure mount gate.
nl_keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxrodr3 View Post
Parents, we have queen bunk beds in the rear of our TT. What is everyone using for gates so children do not fall in the middle of the night. Thanks
Just curious, what make and model TT do you have. I've never seen queen size bunks in a TT. My TT has 48" wide bunks.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #5

we don't use anything. Never been an issue. The only way out of the bunks is in the corner by their feet so they aren't going to roll out of it.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #6

We bought a bunkhouse trailer last season when my sons were 4 and 2. The 4 year old claimed one top bunk, so of course his brother also had to have a top bunk. The 4 year old slept above the outdoor kitchen, and the 2 year old slept on a twin size bunk above a futon that pulled out into a double. We pulled the futon out below to make the distance quite a bit shorter and we never had a problem. The upside of pulling out the futon is then is the 2 year old needed to go potty he could slither down by himself and he wasn't trapped in the bed yelling for us.

We were actually surprised at how well both of them handled being in the top bunk, but all kids are different...
archsnuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #7

I couldn't find a suitable solution for keeping my 8 month old in the top bunk (grandma gets the bottom bunk). I finally had to break down and custom make a set of bed rails because there was nothing out there that would keep a determined and awake 8 month old from trying to crawl out.
I'm really happy with the one I made, it's super sturdy, I know it's made right and won't fall apart, and there is no way he's climbing out now (my wife and I call it baby jail).
Even when grandma isn't along for the ride the bottom bunk is not really much of a better solution because the outdoor kitchen is under it which means it's still a good 2.5 foot drop onto a hard floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464570220606.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	128567  
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote