Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #1

Bunkhouse size and axles

After a ton of research, I've found that my ultimate TT would be the Nano 208BHS. Unfortunately, it is too much TT for my 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee to pull. So my next choice is the smaller version, 193BHS. Aside from weight, I figure I'm settling on single size bunks and 1 axle while maintain the same build quality and Azdel walls.

For those that have gone through similar floor plan decisions, would you put Azdel walls and build quality over a similar floor plan with 2 axles and double size bunks?

I just found Forest River Salem FSX 178BHS last night, which have the double bunks and 2 axles while staying within my weight requirements. Just not sure if that is comparable to an Apex Nano quality-wise.
HotBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #2

You should consider how long you'll keep your tow vehicle versus camper. Many of us make pretty poor decisions when or heart is set on something.

The right way to do it is to upgrade your tow vehicle first, then look for a great deal on your ideal TT.

If you're like me, you'll otherwise waste a bunch of money buying, selling, then buying again...
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:54 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBacon View Post
For those that have gone through similar floor plan decisions, would you put Azdel walls and build quality over a similar floor plan with 2 axles and double size bunks?
I wouldn't worry about the number of axles so much as the margin on those axles. One 5000lb axle is probably better than two 1500lb axles. And I'd only really worry about those margins if you're planning a lot of long, summer road trips. We were/are so we found something with two 3500lb axles and a 6000lb GVWR rating.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #4

I recently purchased Wildwood FSX 178BHS. It's still brand new, so I can't say for sure how long it will last, but I can say there is a reason why it's light, and the quality sort of shows.

We had Starcraft before this, and we see the difference in quality already. That's not to say that we don't like our new RV. The layout works for us and the light weight is what we needed (we don't have a truck to pull, and getting a truck is not practical for us).
kcirick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #5

Quote:
… Unfortunately, it is too much TT for my 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee to pull. … .
Did you get the towing capacity from the sticker on the driver's door post? That would be the definitive source.

4000# GVW TT
Tongue weight 400 to 800 #
Some Grand C's can tow that.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Did you get the towing capacity from the sticker on the driver's door post? That would be the definitive source.
Unfortunately, the door post sticker only has GVWR (6500lbs), Front GAWR (3200lbs), Rear GAWR (3700lbs), and max cargo capacity 1050lbs. It doesn't have the tow package, and the manual says 5000lb capacity and 500lb tongue. I installed a class III hitch with 5000lb/500lb tw (7500lb/750lb tw with a WDH). I talked to a friend that is a Parts Manager at a Jeep Dealer and he pulled my build sheet to see if I had a transmission cooler and he confirmed I had everything that the tow package would come with (transmission cooler, power steering cooler, upgraded alternator, etc.), except the hitch. Knowing this I asked Jeep to confirm my real towing capacity, and am currently awaiting an email (probably won't ever show up).

With all that said, I'm moving forward assuming my limit will be 5000lbs and the GVWR of the 208BH is 6000lbs...so easily over the limit.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Unfortunately, the door post sticker only has GVWR (6500lbs), Front GAWR (3200lbs), Rear GAWR (3700lbs), and max cargo capacity 1050lbs. It doesn't have the tow package, and the manual says 5000lb capacity and 500lb tongue. I installed a class III hitch with 5000lb/500lb tw (7500lb/750lb tw with a WDH). I talked to a friend that is a Parts Manager at a Jeep Dealer and he pulled my build sheet to see if I had a transmission cooler and he confirmed I had everything that the tow package would come with (transmission cooler, power steering cooler, upgraded alternator, etc.), except the hitch. Knowing this I asked Jeep to confirm my real towing capacity, and am currently awaiting an email (probably won't ever show up).

With all that said, I'm moving forward assuming my limit will be 5000lbs and the GVWR of the 208BH is 6000lbs...so easily over the limit.
I fully agree with your analysis. I googled the make and model you listed. The TT mfg published the GVW as 4000 plus pounds. Most of the time the mfg won't publish GVW. So hurray the this one. I may have got the model # wrong or the published number may be wrong.

Either way, it illustrates the need to look at the stickers on the TV door jam and the TT left front specification sicker. Both now mandated by federal law.

Good luck in your search for a TT. Here is a list of TT brand's that is now more than a year old of iRV2 owner's recommendations.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/best-...-443427-2.html
Old 08-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #8

Quote:

Note: You can figure the towing capacity from the GC door jam sticker. Tongue weight must be more than 10% of TT weight. 15% is a good target.

1050 # cargo cap
- passenger and luggage weight
- hitch and weight dist. hitch
= remaining capacity

remaining cap / .15 = maximum TT GVW

The rear axel weight must still be within it's limits, but is complicated to calculate. A weight distribution hitch would shift some of the rear axle weight to the TV front and to TT axle. Getting an actual axle weight from a truck scale would be good, but probably comes too late.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #9

Smile 193bhs

I got the slightly smaller 193bhs. Price was better and we really do like it. If I recall GVW on the trailer is 4700# empty was supposed to be around 3500?
Anyway things "move" a bit inside on the single axel. Not bad but not as smooth riding as dual axel. No I would not change floor plan justfor the second axle or larger bunks As for double bunks, yes nice but I'm not the one going to be sleeping there so I was Ok with singles . my grandson will be fine in the single bunk and I could easily sleep in the bunk were I a guest. They double as storage area mostly.
We love the193bhs.we are heading out again this weekend for the fourth time in about 6 weeks. Its a great little camper. Just FYI a few things we have noticed about it. The AC is great but fairly loud. There is not a single drawer in it which means no place to put silverware. The Kitchen cabinet interiors are installed at angles for ease of the builder. This reduces the space available. Easy fix, unscrew and reinstall straight. I also built a stove cover for mine as we always cook outside and built a silverware drawer into the stove cover . works great. I also added a receptacle in the bottom of the kitchen overhead cabinet for the coffee pot since I already had the cabinet interior apart. There is a junction box hidden between the two upper cabinets interior panels so that was fairly easy too. The slide out makes it surprisingly roomy. reasons I would buy the 208 bhs next, walk around bed and bigger bathroom.I would still have to add the stove cover with drawer and receptacle in it as they are the same kitchen layout. Just for what it worth.
nanonewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:50 AM   #10

Thank you for the first hand feedback nano!

Could you elaborate on the cabinet interiors being installed on an angle? I'm sure I'd understand if I could see a cabinet, but just can't picture it in my mind.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:34 PM   #11

cabinet interior angle

I should have taken pics with my actual camera as opposed to my phone. The cabinets overhead and under the sink are simply 1x frame with paneling/luan board screwed on either side. The outer surface is straight of course or you would never buy it. The insides however are set in at a slight angle. In other words cabinet interior is wider at front/door side than it is in the back/wall side.The overhead ones are not to bad. the ones under the sink however at probably 20 degree angle.? Its enough that in a trailer this small it makes ya wonder what they were thinking. Unscrew the inner panels, about 4 screws .Then you realize its just plain quick and easy at the factory but you know it saved 20 minutes and one cut and made it pretty enough to sell. Keep in mind we downsized from a 30' fifth wheel so this was huge adjustment for my honey. Anyway every inch counts in the kitchen of a trailer this size. So I took out the inner cabinet "walls" and straightened them out so the cabinet interiors were the same width inside at the back as they are in the front. Its surprising how much space in a small cabinet that slight angle costs. I did have to cut around sink drain pipe under the sink. The one at the stereo that is mounted right inside the coach door I just took out and left out. Gained several inches there. They installed a panel in there to cover the back of the stereo unit that sticks into the cabinet. The stereo is 20 inches off the floor but its inside the cabinet. You will never see it. Just a waste of crucial easily recovered space. The stove cover was also needed for us to have a silverware drawer. easy enough. I used pine 3/4" lumber and 14" drawer slides. Works quite well. coffee pot sits on top as well as knife block . If I get a chance and can figure out how I'll post the pics that I took of the cabinets and the wiring junction boxes inside and the stove cover and drawer. Overall we love this camper! It tows well parks easy sets up quick and is more than roomy enough for a couple or a couple with 165 pounds of dogs or a grandkid or two like us! Seems structurally pretty sound too especially for the size weight and price. Sorry that was so long winded. A couple pics would truly be worth a thousand words.
nanonewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunkhouse