Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 07:19 PM   #1

Bunkhouse Under 30 Ft

I have a family of 5 plus a dog and am looking for a bunkhouse under 30 feet that has a super slide w/ a u shaped dinette and couch. Anyone have an suggestions. Struggling finding good options. Hoping to stay under 7000 pounds.
MJK2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 07:49 PM   #2

Surprised you’re having difficulty finding something. Virtually every manufacturer makes something like that. This Jayco is 33’ total length and gross wt is 7500 ( I know that’s a bit over your max numbers. But there are lots of them out there because we were just looking recently.

You didn’t mention your tow vehicle. A family of 5 means a lot of stuff going along, so you are almost certainly going to need a 3/4 ton or better or truck equiv SUV.

https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...-slx-8/287bhs/
jondrew55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:08 PM   #3

Towing with a suburban with a max towing package. Hoping to really stay really close to 30 feet and max weight of 7000ish pounds and below due to my towing vehicle
Old 08-04-2021, 06:07 AM   #4

How about this? Does not have the U shaped dinette but pretty much everything else. As I said, all the mfgs have something similar to what you are looking for. Under 30’ it does get tough to fit everything in. Another possibility is to look for something with a Murphy queen bed, that frees up room for the other features you want

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...te/261BHXL/734
jondrew55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:41 AM   #5

How about one of these?

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/261bh
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:38 AM   #6

Great options. Thank you.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:56 AM   #7

Also check out the Forest River 240BHXL and 263BHXL. The 240BHXL does not have the couch. I think you would be hard pressed to load up either of these over the 7K weight. The overall length of the 263BHXL is over the 30' mark, but to squeeze a couch and dinette table with bunks, I think 30 foot is tough to meet. That Grand Design is pretty nice looking floor plan. Which I had seen one of those when we were looking - probably still prefer my 263BHXL.

When looking for space for 2 adults, 5 kids, and a dog, having a slide to create a more roomy layout is going to be nice to have. We can put our dogs in a kennel if we need to isolate to calm them down.

Be aware, the bunks and queen size bed are okay to sleep on, but converting the versalounger to a bed, or the dinette, not the most comfortable. I do like how the Grand Design has a more open bunk for air flow - the 263BHXL bunks are pretty enclosed, could be claustrophobic for some.

Depending on the size of kids, the u-shaped dinette on the 263BHXL will probably seat everyone. The separate door into the bathroom allows a place to clean up the dog or kids before turning them loose in the main cabin. On the 263BHXL, you can access the entire cabin without having to extend the slide. Not sure on the 240BHXL layout.

I am towing the 263BHXL with a Silverado 1500 CCSB, 5.3L V8. It is the max I would want to tow, anything more and you are in 3/4 or 1 ton range, I believe. Not sure where my comfort level would fall with a Suburban.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #8

The 263BHXL is really nice and could be a nice option if the numbers worked out. I think the suburban Would be pretty maxed out.

I wonder if there is anything else like the 263BHXL but a little lighter
Old 08-04-2021, 04:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK2627 View Post
The 263BHXL is really nice and could be a nice option if the numbers worked out. I think the suburban Would be pretty maxed out.

I wonder if there is anything else like the 263BHXL but a little lighter
Not that I could find. I tried hard to find something a wee bit shorter and a wee bit lighter. The biggest reason we kept coming back to the 263BHXL was the storage. It comes with a plastic tote under each side of the dinette seating bench, and then three more under the Versalounger. Decent pantry. Good size passthrough. There are also 4-5 of those cloth boxes like you see used in cube storage units under the foot of the queen mattress. Wife was not happy with anything less after our original trailer was totaled by hail.

I don't know the specs real well on the Suburban, but it looks like your wheelbase is a foot shorter than my Silverado, and your tow specs are about 1K or more less than my Silverado, depending on your setup. Payload is a little bit lighter than my Silverado. I think the 263BHXL is a max out for my Silverado, the Suburban will really be pushing it. Flat towing without any major mountains, no heavy winds, and careful loading of both the travel trailer and the Suburban to avoid any payload issues, maybe.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:59 PM   #10

Right on. Pretty sure the numbers are way off and going to need something lighter and shorter. Got to figure out what’s really important

Tags
bunkhouse