Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #1

Could anyone from Canada help me out? We want to purchase a Jayco RV from Buffalo. Are there any problems getting a Jayco trailer Canadian certified? Jayco told us that we would have problems with our warranty in Canada....are they just protecting the local dealers or is there some truth to this. Buffalo RV told me that the warranty is valid in the US and Canada.

Could someone help??? We are new to this...and don't know who is correct..!!!
Rudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #2

Could anyone from Canada help me out? We want to purchase a Jayco RV from Buffalo. Are there any problems getting a Jayco trailer Canadian certified? Jayco told us that we would have problems with our warranty in Canada....are they just protecting the local dealers or is there some truth to this. Buffalo RV told me that the warranty is valid in the US and Canada.

Could someone help??? We are new to this...and don't know who is correct..!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #3

Hello Rudie: Buying in the USA is much cheaper, and really easy to Import. I guess the Dealer could tell you what ever. The warrenty is only one year on most items anyway, and If you needed warrenty on say...the refrig the unit can always be taken back state side for warrenty. The trailer needs a letter stating there are No recalls from the manufacturer and complies with CSA standards for wiring etc. The unit will have to be inspected at any Canada Tire. Seventy two hrs notice for US Customs is required before the unit can be Exported from USA. Pay GST at Canadian Customs on your way across, and PST when you register it in Ontario. Many Canadian dealers will not honour warrenty simply because they haven't had the chance to drain an extra few grand from your account. Many Canadian Dealers will talk price if the know your serious about buying state side, and in these tough economic times, now may be a good time to negotiate.,,Good Luck and keep us posted.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:48 AM   #4

Thank you! We are being told so many different things it is hard to know who to trust!!! Jayco told us that we would be paying $1500 to get it certified and then we still wouldn't have a CSA sticker on it...if that was the case no-one would be able to do service on it..This is completely different than what RV direct told us! The Peace Bridge also informed us that it would be around $215. I just don't want any surprises!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 04:49 AM   #5

Are you from Canada? and did you purchase from the US? Thanks!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:38 AM   #6

Hey Rudie...Yes, I'm Canadian,and I live in Port Hope. I have a son and D/L that live not far from you in the same City.

I have Imported before, in fact in Dec. o7 when I brought my new truck across. All Imports must cross at the Lewiston/Queenston bridge only. I paid 217.00 Import tax, 100.00 A/C tax and the $1500.00 cost to certify is not true.

Click Here You can find many answers you need at this site.....Brad

Old 05-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #7

Thanks again Brad. I will check out the site! A Canadian dealer told us that Canadians have a much higher standard for the propane system in the trailer...we are worried that we will have to pay for 'upgrading' something on our trailer to get the CSA sticker on it. When I spoke with a licensing office in Canada, he thought the dealer was just feeding me a line, about having trouble getting it Canadian certified at Canadian Tire, but he said we wouldn't know FOR SURE until they actually inspected it!!! I appreciate your help. Have you purchased a trailer as well from the US?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #8

I almost purchased from the states, but there was no dealer near me for the model I wanted. There is a dealer in Ohio that will take your order, have the trailer built to your specs and with CSA Standards.
If I can help out further Rudie, just let me know...Brad

Old 05-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #9

Hi Brad,

Would the Ohio dealer be RV wholesalers? We looked into their company but they don't sell Jayco and Jayco won't let them go from the states with CSA certification. Most other manufacturers will, but they are picky. In fact we spoke with someone at Jayco who STRONGLY encouraged us to buy locally....said we would get bad service and wouldnt' get it CSA certified...Jayco not the dealers told us that.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #10

Yes, that would be the dealership Rudie. Not sure whats going on, but either way the next move is yours. Not sure why Jayco seems to be turning your business away? Anyway good luck with Jayco. I hope you can work something out. Keep us posted.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #11

Our local dealership has offered us $2000 more than we could get it for in the States. We have to decide if it is worth it to us to buy locally. To be honest I am ticked at our local dealer's 'scare tactics' anyways. Telling us that we wouldn't get service, that we would have problems getting it CSA certified etc, that "how could we even consider buying from the States" has left a really bad taste in my mouth. It also took them a day and a half to come in with an offer for us, after we told them we wanted to wrap this up ASAP. I want to support our economy, but do not prefer doing business with people who try to 'bully' me into it! On the other side, it would be a bit of a hassle to go down to the states and get the trailer, and then the question about 'quality' service has left us wondering if we would get any! So far the 'quality' service has been frustrating and perhaps even dishonest!! We have to decide if $2000 is worth it. $2000 is still a lot of money.....even if we are talking about spending this kind of money! What would you do?
Old 05-10-2008, 01:12 AM   #12

Morning Rudie... me personally I would look into something else that had the quality and options you liked in the Jayco. I would never be "bullied" by any one, infact when several local truck dealers refused to give me some sort of deal on a truck, I went to the USA (West Palm Beach FL) and bought this truck for HALF the price. This truck was valued at $65K in Canada, so the price of a plane ticket from Pearson was well worth the effort. I too would have prefered to deal in Ontario but the dealers "greed" turned out to be greater than my "need."

So in the end who lost.....

Old 05-10-2008, 05:51 AM   #13

Morning!
You know what we really had our heart set on the Jayco from the states, but even the Jayco manufacturers were not completely honest with us. They have left a bad taste in our mouth. At first we were looking at a Rockwood Signature Lite Trailer. Do you know how they compare to the Jayco's? they seem a little more money. ARe they worth it?
Old 05-11-2008, 01:50 AM   #14

Sorry Rudie, don't know anything about this model.