RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 12:29 AM   #1

Buying but need help

I'm buying my first new Springdale travel trailer from a dealer friend in Indiana. I have to get it brought to me in Los Angeles so my wife and myself can tow it back to Indianapolis to see our grandchildren. Should I have it towed or flatbedded? Got prices from 2200 to 7000. Anyone know a reliable trucker?
scubaman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 12:47 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Have you given thought to towing a U-Haul with all your gear in it to Indiana to pick up the trailer yourself? It might be a good idea as so often new RV's have issues that the dealer needs to fix. If you have it delivered to you in L.A. it will make getting work done on it difficult. Besides $2200-$7000 is a lot of money to have it transported.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:33 AM   #3

I don't understand the logic of having it shipped cross country then towing it back?
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:44 AM   #4

I am with Mokurt. Don't understand having it transported from Indiana to LA only to tow it back to Indiana. You are not going to be able to do a PDI.
. ( don't even tell me how the dealer is a friend and that isn't necessary. He isn't doing the work. his employees are. ) What if it arrives damaged ? who is going to repair it and how will you get it to them ? How much are you saving by buying in Indiana vs LA ?
Way too many things can go wrong here. You can drive from LA to Indiana in a few easy days and pick it up.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:55 AM   #5

Yeah, agree with drive to meet the new TT. Even if you have to pay a storage fee in the meantime in Indy, youll be money ahead.
Cferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Have you given thought to towing a U-Haul with all your gear in it to Indiana to pick up the trailer yourself? It might be a good idea as so often new RV's have issues that the dealer needs to fix. If you have it delivered to you in L.A. it will make getting work done on it difficult. Besides $2200-$7000 is a lot of money to have it transported.
Buying a new Springdale 1740RK. Need it brought from Indiana to Los Angeles. I've got prices from 1200 to 7000. Should it be towed or flatbedded?
Any suggestions?? Since its a 5 day drive, we don't want to stay in hotels and eat in restaurants.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:31 PM   #7

It's a 5 day drive to Indiana, we don't want to stay in hotels and eat in restaurants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
I don't understand the logic of having it shipped cross country then towing it back?
Old 09-28-2020, 07:05 AM   #8

Maybe try for a bid on uship.com. I would imagine it would be cheaper to have it towed vs. flatbed since it would take a pretty big truck to flatbed it.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:34 AM   #9

If using a flatbed, how tall would it be, you may need some special permits in some states.
Towing may be the option for you, and $2200 is not bad for 2/3 of the way across the country.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #10

Sounds like you will use it only in Indiana to visit. Maybe find a seasonal spot in Indiana to store it. Then fly to Indiana when you visit.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaman14 View Post
I'm buying my first new Springdale travel trailer from a dealer friend in Indiana. I have to get it brought to me in Los Angeles so my wife and myself can tow it back to Indianapolis to see our grandchildren. Should I have it towed or flatbedded? Got prices from 2200 to 7000. Anyone know a reliable trucker?
Single Springdale units (or any travel trailer) down to 17 feet long are towed behind a pickup truck normally while multipacks of two or three are carried on trailers behind a tractor or MDT.
The chances of you getting hooked up with a multi pack headed to Los Angeles are virtually non-existent so on a trailer is going to be very expensive for you.

Your two best options are:
1. hire a hot shotter - list your camper on a load board such as uship.com where you can set the price or allow transporters to bid on your load.
2. hire an RV transport company - the company will set the rate you pay but everything is pretty much hands-off for you.

Once your unit arrives, you need to inspect it for damage. Do not let the driver leave until you are satisfied there is no damage to the unit. Normally, drivers are only responsible for exterior damage but your contract may include internal damage. At the very least you need to verify the driver did not sleep in your new camper (seems to be happening more and more these days).

There's more, but this should get you started.

Good luck!

Tags
buying, need help