Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 08:03 PM   #1

Buying our first travel trailer

Looking to buy our first travel trailer. Trying to find a bunkhouse that is less than 25’. We have a 2018 tundra crew max 4wd/ 2wd SR5 v8. Looking at 2018 Starcraft launch outfitter 19BHS, NOBO 19.7 and open to toyhaulers that have bunks. Our college aged kids need longer bunks. Any suggestions what to look at or what to avoid? Ideas on the ones mentioned above? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
soyyo0287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Pleased to see that you are considering a new family toy! RVs are a great means to achieve wonderful, fun, family time together. The "19 foot" travel trailers you mentioned is too small for a family of adults. Presuming yours is a typical family i.e. two parents and two college age "kids", I'd suggest considering a 28 foot travel trailer to give your family adequate room. A colleague of mine has a 28 foot Grand Design Imagine 2800BH (for bunk house) design the he says is great for his family of four (two high school age kids) --> https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...orplans/2800bh

Before shopping seriously for a new travel trailer, you need to determine the towing capacity of your 2018 Toyota Tundra. Hopefully you have the big 5.7 liter engine which gives a towing capacity in the 10,000 - 11,000 pound range which would be adequate to tow a light weight design, 28 foot travel trailer.

Before I upgraded to a motorhome, I had a 2011 Tracer Executive 3000BHS (30 foot bunk house) that was about the same weight as the Grand Design travel trailer which I towed without problems with my 2011 Chevy Silverado crew-cab.

Hope this info helps!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #3

I'd be cautious about getting a bunkhouse with college age kids. #1 they will have to be really short or they will be cramped up bad. #2 Typically kids in that age group don't want to go camping with the parents long. If your situation is different, congratulations. But I would worry in 6 months I've got a bunkhouse I'm paying for when what I really need is a couples floorplan because the kids are busy and don't want to go. I'd get a rear living with a couch that flips into a queen bed and roll with that. Best of luck!!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #4

I have a Coleman 2855bh with double over double bunk. Doubles are 52.5 x 74 each so plenty of room. Also with a full queen private master. If 28' is too long they have a shorter non private version that uses a murphy bed over couch for main bed. I have really enjoyed mine. Ive had no real problems with it and price was reasonable. It tows well and i dont regret buying it one bit. I have 3 girls ages 14 - 19 plus myself and wife. Plenty of room. Good luck on your hunt and enjoy
justfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #5

Well here is where my answer will be controversial, first if your children are college age they probably will not be camping along with you. If it were me and it is not however I have met others in some campsites here in the east that have the same situation, their answer was fairly simple, a tent for the kids. It worked well, could be carried in the camper and quickly set up when needed. Not sure what type of climate you're going to be in so don't know if that will work for you, but something to think about. As I said before the kids probably won't be camping for too much longer and the camper will probably be around longer. Also the kids will like privacy and enjoy the camping experience more. Hope I was of some help. Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #6
RPr

You can do what we did. Take your best guess at what you want, than rent a similar unit.

A week or so of towing and camping will tell you a lot; before you spend the big bucks.

Good luck
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, trailer, travel, travel trailer