Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #1

Buying Used - Offer Price

Question for those who have purchased one or more trailers used from a private party. Is there a standard percentage off of the asking price that you use to make your initial offer? How much does the NADA Average Retail Price influence this offer price? I'll be paying cash if buying from a private party.

I'm thinking about going to look at two identical trailers I found on RVTrader. Both are one year old, still under manufacturers limited structural warranty, similar distance from where I live, and both are asking about $1000 over the NADA Average Retail price. Biggest difference so far is that one is being offered as "turn key," with all hoses, cords, and a hitch included. Still waiting for a reply to see if the other one comes with this stuff, too.

Follow up question. The asking prices are 25% off of what the same model's MSRP is currently listed as. I've seen several posts saying you should be shooting for this magical 25% off MSRP as your Out The Door target on a new trailer. Can you keep these used prices in your hip pocket and use them as negotiating capital with the dealer? In other words, if the dealer won't budge or come close to your target price, would you walk out and buy a "like new" used trailer?
Dr. Dolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2021, 09:00 AM   #2

Offer what you would feel comfortable paying, regardless of the asking price.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:05 AM   #3

The problem I have seen in buying an almost new rv is most sellers are upside down in their units !! Example 2019 sunseeker low low miles sold in 2019 for 75,000 new, and the seller is asking 69500. That unit is worth 57000 to 63000 .If you pay 69500 for it now you are upside down in it and in a few months to a year the bottom is most likely to fall out of the RV business and you will really be upside down .Now if you keep it for several years you might not care about that,and if you are paying cash that helps because your not paying for financing on top of that .
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
On used, there is no set discount on asking price. The sell will ask for all he thinks he can get. Often, people are trying to get out from under an RV that they are up-side down on the loan.

If the RV is in good shape, I would offer NADA Low Retail with no options added as a starting point.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:34 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Offer only what it’s worth to you. Don’t worry about “offending” the seller. The discount rules don’t apply in used purchases. You can bet others will offer half of the asking price in an effort to see how low the seller will go.

And, all that “turn key” stuff is nice but it’s worth zero and you’ll probably never stick with it all after you purchase. Don’t let that stuff add value to the buy. The same goes for any modifications the previous owner has made.

PS. The warranty is nice but it too is pretty worthless on a travel trailer.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:36 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Having bought a used motorhome about a year ago, I will tell you that NADA and the selling market are way to far disconnected. Only money lenders follow NADA and that doesn’t help the buyer[emoji3525]

The market kind of sets the price. Look for similar units in similar condition.

As far as what to offer, I’d consider how long the unit has been on the market. Sometimes, the postings will tell you how many days it’s been listed.
Offer whatever puts you in a comfortable position at the end of the negotiation dance.

You never know what the mindset is of the seller is until you do[emoji23]
Old 02-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #7

My lender will only loan as much as the NADA average retail value. That is what the bank says it is worth at the time of sale. Any more the buyer pays is the sellers reward for good negotiation or for having a desirable rv. Any less is the buyers reward.

Some dealers try to inflate the value by identifying standart equipment for the model as options or by adding overvalued options. Some standard equipment will be listed under the standard equipment tab, or many times the original sales brochure can be found online. Examples - the 4k generator is standard equipment as listed on the special notes tab, but adds $855 in false value if selected as an option. Or, a cheap ($300) tire pressure monitor system from Amazon is valued at $995 for my rv.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

If the RV is in good shape, I would offer NADA Low Retail with no options added as a starting point.

Ken
I'm not sure this makes much sense based on this definition from the NADA site:

Low Retail Value — A low retail unit may have extensive wear and tear. Body parts may have dents and blemishes. The buyer can expect to invest in cosmetic and/or mechanical work.

Or are you saying this is just your negotiating strategy starting as low as possible?
Dr. Dolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #9

NADA list prices as follows: High Retail, Average Retail, Low Retail.

When I sold my cl c I listed the price in between High and Average that sold to the first one that came to look.

Then when I replaced it with my TT the seller listed the price above "High Retail". I offered to buy it between "High and Average" retail which he agreed after haggling but I stayed firm on my offer.

In both case it was, IMO a "Win/Win".
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dolittle View Post
Question for those who have purchased one or more trailers used from a private party. Is there a standard percentage off of the asking price that you use to make your initial offer? How much does the NADA Average Retail Price influence this offer price? I'll be paying cash if buying from a private party.

I'm thinking about going to look at two identical trailers I found on RVTrader. Both are one year old, still under manufacturers limited structural warranty, similar distance from where I live, and both are asking about $1000 over the NADA Average Retail price. Biggest difference so far is that one is being offered as "turn key," with all hoses, cords, and a hitch included. Still waiting for a reply to see if the other one comes with this stuff, too.

Follow up question. The asking prices are 25% off of what the same model's MSRP is currently listed as. I've seen several posts saying you should be shooting for this magical 25% off MSRP as your Out The Door target on a new trailer. Can you keep these used prices in your hip pocket and use them as negotiating capital with the dealer? In other words, if the dealer won't budge or come close to your target price, would you walk out and buy a "like new" used trailer?
Look up on line a new trailer like yours MSRP - RVTrader.

Take off 15-20%

Compare that number to what the used are going for. If the used ones are not lower then the 15-20% number, consider buying new.

If they are lower by how much? If not a lot you can use the math above to get the seller to a lower price.

Your idea about going to a dealer with the used prices is a good one. It won't cost you anything. But again do the math above.

If the dealer price was near the used price I'd probably go with the dealer.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:39 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My current RV I paid "book" for but along with that negotiated some of the accessories and for some pre-sale service which I would've had to pay for out of pocket. Not sure if it was recognized by the seller as such but threw the book offer on the table to get their attention that I was a serious buyer and the dialog started from there.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:59 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
"Art of the Deal"....

Be prepared to walk away.
Let them think about.
It's a calculated risk that somebody else will "snipe" what you are after, but he'll pay more than you would have.
If you have time and cash on your side...you usually win.
It's business, don't let it become personal.

Sooner or later, there's always another deal.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, offer